Author Topic: Apothecary  (Read 3826 times)

spenoza

Re: Apothecary
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2016, 03:59:03 AM »
I thought the Unreal engine could use an OpenGL renderer. But it required DX11 to run the dev environment? Interesting...
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

elmer

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2016, 04:41:56 AM »
I thought the Unreal engine could use an OpenGL renderer. But it required DX11 to run the dev environment? Interesting...

Errr ... Unreal is designed for pro-developers who have some clue WTF they're doing.

Requiring a 6-year-old version of DirectX so that it can run on a 6-year old OS (Windows 7, which most people still use) isn't exactly a show-stopper requirement in my books.

Now, they've been trying to move closer to the "learner" end of the market ... but Unity really has that demographic sewn up.

You can use either one ... I do know folks who use Unity to do projects for people like Disney, so it's certainly possible to do "professional" "paying" work in it.

OTOH ... it was funny to see a small group of Unity developers clustered in the back of the room at the last Sony Developer conference that I attended, asking the stupidest questions and getting exasperated looks from the Unreal and proprietary-engine developers.

Punch

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »
unity bad unreal good

anything else I should add in my notes?

elmer

« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2016, 11:55:16 AM »
unity bad unreal good

anything else I should add in my notes?

Actually, for as much as I like to rag on it, it's more "Unity good, Unreal good".

Unity is a great tool, and I'd recommend it to anybody.

But it has the nasty habit of attracting folks who are barely-competent and making them feel like they know what they're doing ... when they really don't.

That's more to do with the majority of its "community" than with the tool itself.

And when you've spent all the time to learn how to actually get good results out of Unity without throwing-away most of your CPU power ... then, IMHO, all that you've actually learned to do, is how to use Unity. You've not really learned much about how to put together a game that's going to apply to any other engine/system.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2016, 03:28:12 PM »
Yeah, Unreal Engine would technically be a better, more exciting time, if it they had better backwards support.

Especially if they're trying to break into the 2D thing.   What the hell do you need DX11 for if you're doing a 2D game that looks like it's from 1986.

It's not exactly a deal breaker.   It's more of an annoyance.   The editor just fails silently.   

I don't feel like upgrading my video card/etc. right now just to use Unreal.    If I were doing a 3D game, I would do the upgrade.

Unity is fairly accessible.   For a 2D game, really, any of these things are OK if you're not a retard.

The problem with Unity, as Elmer as mentioned, is it attracts morons.   Lots of them. 

They don't know what they are talking about.   They're basically like those annoying, pretentious Silicon Valley devs you see dicking off with startups and whatever the "new hotness" is.

They fail at simple programming/design concepts, and focus more on making sure what they're doing is some kind of esoteric mess that makes them look/seem cool.

When really, they just built a dysfunctional rocketship to go across the street.

This is bad because Unity prides itself on the community thing.   There's not alot of damage control going on when morons upload terrible things and share them.    Hardly anything keeps this dip-shittery in check.

and then when you point out that something is bad, you get the clappers and the pansies that come out and are like

HUUUU YOURE MEAN.  THIS TRIGGERS ME.  STOP IT.  IM TELLING.

f*ck off with that.    Social Justice Tumblrtards do not belong in a development area.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Punch

« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2016, 04:04:15 PM »
TRIGGER

You're actually right Arkhan, the "community" is similar to XBLIG, 95% of crap and some "hidden gems", but in Unity's case it feels more like 99% built in asset prima donnas and 1% Kerbal Space Program.

johnnykonami

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2016, 04:59:08 AM »
I can't say much about the community there, but not knowing anything about them I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are just amateurs who love video games like myself and are trying to learn enough to make their own.  Whether or not it's to try to cash in on the indie craze or to produce something for yourself, I can't say for them.  For me it's the latter, and if it one day leads to making money, great!  But first and foremost I'd like to scratch the itch to just make something cool.  I have some actual bonafide education with 3D modeling and animation, but my coding skills are very basic (some shell scripting as a Unix admin, some javascript, a little bit of this and that to do small tasks) but I'd like to learn more C# or C++ and work on making a board-game like game I've been thinking about.  My hunch is that the Unity crashes might be related to my old video card or it's drivers, I'll have to try it out again when I can or after I do an upgrade.  I full accept my status as a wannabe/amateur/beginner but you gotta start somewhere, right?  That said, for the people trying to actually market their stuff on Steam (for example), I am seeing a lot of pretty uninspired stuff.  I am astonished to find choose your own adventure text games on there (for sale!).  XBLIG was a little bit the same, with cool titles like Protect me Knight (admittedly done by professionals) alongside "Try not to fart."  So many wreaked of school projects, which like I state above, learning how to make things with these tools is totally acceptable.  Charging money for some of the results is pretty laughable though.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »
The problem is it's that entitled-like Silicon Valley diptard fest full of people who think they're really clued in on how everything ever works because they managed to get a thing to accidentally work, and their first game was Perfect Dark Zero on XB360.

Dopes.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.