Author Topic: Where to start  (Read 419 times)

NightWolve

Re: Where to start
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »
But as was said when I suggested his work on another forum, can you really find a better Turbo authority than Keith Courage himself?

Well, if you're gonna ask, then there is an answer: thesteve. He's a real, formally trained electrical engineer who, in addition to providing the usual repair/mod services here, has done other wonderful things like designing a cheap YPbPr Component circuit for NEC hardware and making the 3.5" LCD mod possible on Turbo Expresses with $20 Composite-only LCD models found on eBay. But what really separates steve from everybody else is being a real EE and such a fan of NEC systems means that there isn't a problem he couldn't fix, and if not him, if he can't fix it, then nobody here would be able to either.

So, from newly developed mods, to teaching and sharing tech info to interested parties here, being able to diagnose IC chip failure, hell, even save a Turbo Duo with a damaged PCB that was missing a piece of it, etc. there simply is nobody that can compare to the power of steve. ;) He is far too modest and humble to self-promote himself and his talents, so somebody else has to do it for him and make sure he takes his rightful and legendary place in PCEFX history when it comes to modding/repairing NEC hardware!!! :P

One key consideration when choosing a service provider here is how well can they handle the unexpected ?? If they're not a real EE, then odds are less in your favor. Say you send your Turbo Duo off to somebody that only knows how to replace capacitors and in the course of shipping, the CD laser gets damaged or after cap replacement, another issue turns up like IC failure. You will have it shipped back in failure and you'll have to pay shipping again+another repair charge to someone like steve who can handle all possible issues, scenarios, etc. who knows the hardware inside and out, who understands the recently relased NEC tech documentation, etc.

Why take the risk with 2nd best or 3rd best when you know who the best of the best is, someone who can handle all possible problems the FIRST time around ?? When you look it that way, the answer becomes clear when choosing who you're going to ship your precious NEC hardware off to and trust with...

In conclusion, when/if the day comes that my US Turbo Duo no longer functions and I fail in my attempt to repair it myself, I know who I will be shipping it to with 100% confidence and trust. Do you ?? Can you say the same ?? In thesteve we trust. :P

Well, thank you for listening, you may now resume with your regularly scheduled "foruming..."

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:07:57 PM by NightWolve »

wolfman

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 10:13:51 PM »

Well, if you're gonna ask, then there is an answer: thesteve.

+1   from my experience too.
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROMĀ², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

thesteve

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 06:05:29 AM »
back on topic
the center gear is a low density plastic
they used it to reduce noise as it is somewhat rubbery
the issues are the LD plastic tend to be somewhat porous, absorbing hydrocarbons
the HC's cause the plastic to swell and degrade