Author Topic: Grafx 16 CD Base Station Troubleshooting  (Read 272 times)

Slypty

Grafx 16 CD Base Station Troubleshooting
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:17:41 AM »

I need a bit of help with a Turbo CD Base Station.  I did a Cap replacement job for a guy and in trade he gave me a Turbo Grafx 16 with a Base Station, both which aren't working properly.

The CD Base Station doesn't turn on, but because I've never had one I'm really not sure how to work it properly.  So far, here's what I know about it:
-  That for it to turn on, you need to push in the lock on the bottom, and lock the side.
- That the Power Adapter is 11V, 5.3A  -  ---G--- +

So, my questions, whichever you can answer will be of help to me:

-  Does the Turbo Grafx 16 run off the same Power Supply as the Base Station, meaning that I wouldn't have to plug in the 16 and just run off the Base Station?
-  Does the same hold true for the A/V Outputs for the Base Station?  Could I run the 16 off the Base Stations A/V Outs?  Or do I need to plug in the RF Cable from the 16 in to the TV?
-  I guess, a bit rhetorical, but would I need to buy a CD System in Order to properly test if the Base Station Works? 

I'd like to get around to these issues first, the guy who gave me the units told me it didn't work WITH his CD System, which he sold separately.. so I'm not exactly sure how to test it's functionality with out the CD System, or if it's necessary.  Thanks for the help

schweaty

Re: Grafx 16 CD Base Station Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:27:02 AM »
YES
YES
NO

Slypty

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:59:38 AM »

Fidde_se

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 11:21:29 AM »
Doesn't that "-  ---G--- +" indicate that it's center pin positive, which is wrong, unless that is a typo.
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
If your power adapter is good you might want to check the 7805 voltage regulator in the docking station. I've never come across a docking station with a bad one but I have in DUOs before where no power was the issue.

wolfman

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »
Doesn't that "-  ---G--- +" indicate that it's center pin positive, which is wrong, unless that is a typo.

Afaik it should read

-   --------- C --------- +

The "open" side of C stands for the center pin.
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROMĀ², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fidde_se

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:23:56 AM »

Afaik it should read

-   --------- C --------- +

The "open" side of C stands for the center pin.

Yes, but the cd base station is center pin negative just like the TG16
+ --------- C --------- -
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

turbokon

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 01:49:32 AM »
Yeah, center pin of the tgcd base is negative.

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=repair:pcepowersupplies
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Slypty

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 01:07:23 AM »
My bad!  I have a bunch of Universal power supplies with switching polarities, I got lost in the confusion of trying to find a replacement power supply.

Have now bookmarked retrogamecave since I'll need a few Power Supplies.

Thanks for the tips, though I can't really do any testing until I receive a proper power supply.  What a finicky Voltage!  11V 5.3mA? 

I found a dead CD Unit on eBay for about $100.  Anybody have any luck with fixing these?  Would rather try a fix than spend $200+ On a working Unit.  Or if someone has one for sale at a decent price PM me.  I have the Base station as noted.