Author Topic: A New version of Huc  (Read 1321 times)

TheOldMan

Re: A New version of Huc
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »
Hmmm... The error you get (implicit declaration of function 'fmemopen') actually means the compiler hasn't seen a declaration for fmemopen yet.....

Downloading now. Will see about building it tomorrow.

nodtveidt

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 05:29:05 PM »
Yeah I know, it's odd. The source specifically includes stdio.h so I don't know why it isn't seeing it, unless there is a #define issue somewhere. I scoured the source for potential issues but found none.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »
just use #define _GNU_SOURCE...
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

TheOldMan

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »
Ok rover. Here's what I got so far:

Using XP, SP3. Installed latest cygwin (V 1.7.29, 32 bit). Unzipped the files (all my tg16 stuff is in a directory off the desktop called TG16). Ran cygwin batch file, got into cygwin shell. went to huc-master directory and tried compiling. Ooops. Can't find command "cc". Fixed src\make_src.inc to define CC   <CC=gcc>
Compiled, and at least main got built. No complaints about missing fmemopen().

Maybe you're using an old version of cygwin/gcc ?
I do remember reading last night that mingw is missing fmemopen(). Don't know if they fixed that problem or not, so it's another possibility.
Shall we keep setup instructions here, or make a new thread when we figure it out ?

TheOldMan

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 03:25:38 PM »
Update: After moving things around and getting HuC to run (I never install things in the default locations, and am only passingly familiar with where what goes in *nix systems), I compiled an older
joystick test program. And it runs, so the compiler itself isn't broken.

Next up is to see if I can get sprite demo working...and Arkhan: I didn't change anything (not even function definitions) in the test program, so Atlantean -should- just compile and work....
Unless the assembler screws up :)

FYI: HuC still ids itself as v 3.21, Denki. That really needs fixed....
pceas is 3.23, nop release.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 08:09:36 PM »
Well, it's mostly a matter of "Does Ulrich's sound driver he wrote jive well with what Squirrel barfs out?", for Atlantean.   If the chip tunes aren't rockin' it isn't going to work! lol.

He had asked about redistributing Squirrel.  I told him sure as long as he didn't change anything.   Through some miscommunicating sort of/retard moments from me, I realize he could've just jammed it all in. (He had it running)

However, he said in the end, he's glad he didn't have to work with it since it was jammed in HuC a bit haphazardly, since it's HuC, and basically everything is pretty haphazard.  His new thing is cleaner. 

Here's to hoping the New HuC (NuC!) is awesome and we get to bang away at it and do nice things.

We should probably look into what it would take to get Squirrel's player crammed in there, for future use from us, and others.   We can probably get it hooked in cleaner if we poke at it enough.

and then Atlantean can really be the last thing we ever do with 3.21 HuC, since it hurts.

and everyone can rejoice at all the things ever.

esteban

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 02:05:38 AM »
Tell me about Ulrich...I know nothing about him (did he have a hand in the initial releases of HuC, for example? Or did he come along later and take on the Hydra that is HuC?)

Thank you. 
  |    | 

cabbage

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 05:27:15 AM »
Just got cygwin, and, after getting everything set up correctly with the required packages, had working binaries. I tried compiling a few demos which were laying around, and there was a noticeable increase in speed. :clap: With the new features and optimizations, this is a much appreciated release!

edit: squirrel seems to be working too  :dance:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:40:06 AM by cabbage »

TheOldMan

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 07:56:15 AM »
Just got cygwin, and.....
Can you post which version of cygwin and which packages you installed? So others can follow along.

edit: squirrel seems to be working too
?? More information please...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »
edit: squirrel seems to be working too  :dance:

Oh good, the one other developer that uses Squirrel can tell us what is up.

I'm going to try building it right now to run Atlantean through it to see if my chiptunes play.  It'd be good if there's a fresh card player library that isn't at the mercy of the old HuC's gooniness to actually work right.

As for Ulrich, I don't think he was a part of the original HuC.    If he was, it wouldn't have been such a mess in the first place probably, lol.

TheOldMan

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2014, 05:55:19 PM »
edit: squirrel seems to be working too

Confirmed. I ran my squirrel test program through the new HuC, and it plays the sound. I'm not an audio nut, so as long as it makes noise, that's good....
But when I tried building our slideshow iso, chiptunes fail miserably. It tries, but ends up looping and looping. No graphics show up, and only the start of the tunes play.  Looks like it won't work for cds :(

....Arkhan reports errors with some #defines. Those appear to be in a header file, and a simple #ifndef / #endif should fix that problem.
More annoying is that you can no longer offset from a palette identifier in load_pal().  Apparently
'load_palette(1, titPal+(32*4), 1);' will no longer work to access different palettes included from a single file....

(16 entries per palette * 2 bytes per entry == 32 bytes. Multiply that by 4, to get the start of the fourth palette. That's what he's doing - and only loading that one palette.
The error is 'can't get farptr', which means the offset is probably computed correctly, but the pointer is assumed to be in the address space, making it a near pointer - which it shouldn't be. Probably a bug in the load_palette macro, since it worked before. )

All in all, I'm pretty pleased so far. I haven't tested it extensively, but if this is all the errors, it will be nice to see how much it speeds things up :)

cabbage

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
uname -a ----> CYGWIN_NT-6.2 blah 1.7.30(0.272/5/3) 2014-05-23 10:36 x86_64 Cygwin
(i just used the automatic installer from the cygwin site)

I wasn't sure what packages would be needed so I grabbed: gcc-core, gcc-g++, gcc-objc, gcc-objc++, libgcc, and make. (also from the auto downloader/installer)

There could be conflicts with other toolchains, so be aware of that. I needed to remove from my PATH variable because of SGDK's own make.exe, but other setups could have different conflicts (or none at all)

At this point it was working and could compile the HuC source. There was an error (about zlib.h or something) on the tgemu portion of the build, but the important stuff seems fine.

Then when I tried using huc from outside of the cygwin environment (ie, in a normal windows cmd prompt) I got an error about cygwin1.dll. Added the path to cygwin's bin directory to my PATH environment variable, which solved that.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
Yeah, I just fresh installed Cygwin, added all the GCC stuff + Make, and it built with zero issues.

Atlantean won't build because I need to bitchslap the sound-stuff that it includes... but I bet it'd build otherwise.

cabbage

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »
After playing around with it some more, I am beginning to think there are a lot of changes and the transition to this new version could be rockier than I had hoped. I've tried rebuilding some old projects, and they're successfully compiling, but the games are f*cked. E.g. Sprite data seems to load OK, but BG is just garbage.  I've also run into the same farptr error TheOldMan mentioned...

Re: squirrel, CD projects definitely seem to be having more trouble than Hu ones.

I figured I would try starting a little project from the ground up, and couldn't even get it playing nicely with a mappy tilemap. I tried the exact same code on the old HuC and it worked as expected.

So... definitely more research is needed :P

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2014, 07:49:50 AM »
Yeah that Farptr error is from when I tried building Atrantean.   lol.