Author Topic: PCEWorks ?  (Read 400 times)

PolygonDaily

PCEWorks ?
« on: August 20, 2015, 04:38:08 PM »
Before anyone jumps to conclusions i am NOT affiliated with PCEWorks or Tobias.

I received these as Promotional copies today, I only owned 2 reproductions before this.

1. Earthbound 25th anniversary for NES
2. Final Fantasy VII NES Remake

The guy who made the FF7 Remake did an amazing job, 3D printed carts, custom boards, poster, full sized manual, etc. Really well made

The Earthbound is just a repro cart, nothing more than a donor cart and a new label.

What's up with PCEngineFX and how do you guys feel about Turbo Repros? i've seen some posts titled with "Tobias Copy" or whatever, so i'm kind of confused as to how you guys feel about these?

is his work frowned upon, or are the prices the problem? or do you guys like/dislike the work?

Black Tiger

Re: PCEWorks ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
There's too much history of this loser's scams over the years to get into.

He is currently purposely trying to destroy the future of new PC Engine projects and supporting him only does more damage.

His products may be overpriced rip-offs, but that is irrelevant in the grand scheme of his dirty deeds.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

PolygonDaily

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:52:46 PM »
whatever he's done doesn't sound good, so i won't ask

but what New PCE projects? I know of english translations or whatever but are there new games in development or something else? ports of some kind?

MotherGunner

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 05:01:51 PM »
Search "Tobias"
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 05:13:51 PM »
If you want to know how we really feel about Tobias, use the f*cking search bar....

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 05:21:20 PM »
whatever he's done doesn't sound good, so i won't ask

but what New PCE projects? I know of english translations or whatever but are there new games in development or something else? ports of some kind?

The guy who led the Drac X translation and Ys IV dub projects made it clear for a very long time that if anyone physically published anything he worked on, let alone tried to sell them, he would be done working on anything PCE related. Other PCE dev scene members have made similar comments, with the least reaction being that they would second think working on anything copyrighted, be it ports, translations or misc. This was made clear to Tobias before he went ahead and began selling the works of PCE dev teams. The Rockman disc was downloaded for free from the guy who developed a method to get NES games to run on PCE hardware. Tobias then sold it as a long lost super rare PC Engine game, just as he sold his Sapphire bootlegs as a "confirmed" official second print run by Hudson Soft... which was long lost and therefore ever more rare and valuable than the "original" print run.

He first sold his "rare" Sapphire bootlegs direct from his site for $160 each and lots of copies were sold simply as originals on eBay from his location. Space Fantasy Zone, which might be one of the games that is actually a burned cdr, was $200 I believe.

Many of his bootlegs were sold on Japanese auction sites for hundreds of dollars or more and there was a steady stream of these "super rare" lost PCE games.

He actually responded to the guy who hacked/misc the Xak III translation and said that he was simply a poor artisan who could barely afford to give him as much as $1 from the sale of each copy. This was after he had already created his latest in a string of aliases: PCE Works, which claimed to be a team of PCE fans who did the work themselves for the community.

I remember at one point before the PCE Works alias, it looked like he must have made at least $100,000 from his bootlegs. It now looks like it's his full-time job.

He knows how ignorant and immoral the retro game "collectard" community is and how they value stupid packaging and gimmicks over actual games, so he manipulates the weak-willed with free copies, which wannabe internet celebrities are all too happy to gush over and advertise, without doing so much as a google search of research into their history. It doesn't help when most of them don't know anything about the PCE in the first place (one guy actually bought his first PCE after receiving free bootlegs). Some of the influential youtubers have blindly said in their "reviews", that PCE Works is great and everyone should support them, because they would never try to pass off bootlegs as authentic copies and you can trust them. This level of trust was based solely upon the receipt of free bootlegs.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 05:26:11 PM »
He makes boxes.

PolygonDaily

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 05:29:41 PM »
oh, that's some f*cked up shit...

So that's where the "Rockman" reference comes from that i've heard before. man, i didn't mean to stir anything up. I saw a bunch of stuff like i said in the for sale/trade subforums and had no idea.

T2KFreeker

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
Basically, people like him kill off any real retro community that could have something cool happen to it. In the end, the cancer spreads and destroys the entire community. Opinions of the Atari Jaguar system aside, this kind of thing destroyed the community. Jaguar Sector II was a thriving community and forum, but in the end, the piracy of the games, or we'll call them Repro's, just to keep with the theme, stopped other developers from making games, and in the end, all that was really left were a group of programmers called Reboot. They were the one's who planted the seeds and helped kill the community, so people like this assclown kill it all. It's like a Pyromaniac...they just can't help starting the fire, no matter what it destroys or consumes, as long as they are happy and their wallet is fat. In the end, when the dust clears and the parade has moved on because the casualties are laying in the dust, they just move on to the next community to scam.
END OF LINE.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 06:43:02 PM »
PCEworks - for the greed of it.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 07:59:35 PM »
PCEworks - Life is short, have an Obey..........as long as I profit off of it!

seieienbu

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 08:02:17 PM »
The biggest problem with the Turbo/PCE scene right now is how stupidly expensive everything is.  For the foreseeable future it will probably become worse, too.  There are games that are so expensive that I cannot justify buying them.  Yeah, I could burn a CD but for reasons that I don't really get I don't enjoy playing a game that I burned myself.  A repro would let me play games that I wanted but wouldn't want to pay for. 

I've got to hand it to the guy, Tobias makes nice looking reproductions.  If the same games were coming from someone that hadn't lied and made counterfeit games was doing this I'd probably be inclined to make some purchases.  Likewise for someone who wasn't profiteering off of the very few fan translated games. There's not exactly an excess of translated Japanese games even though there are so many fantastic Japanese games that I would like to play; by making a cash grab at the very few translated works on the system Tobias is actively being detrimental to the PC Engine gaming scene and harming everyone who is interested in it.

I for one would happily get my hands on a Tobias copy of Sapphire as long as I didn't buy it from Tobias. 
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

PCEWorks ?
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 12:18:25 AM »
Trivial, but for the record:

Tobias, as far as we know, is certainly the mastermind behind all of the PCE/TG-16 bootlegs, but he (most likely) contracts out the graphic design to other people.

We all agree that the aesthetics and attention to detail are excellent—but it is the result of real designers and graphic artists.

If I am wrong—if Tobias himself designed any of his bootlegs—then I am jealous of his skills.

SKILLS:
(1) Profiteering
(2) Loving PCE
(3) Killing PCE homebrew/fan translations/subs/hacks
(4) Laughing all the way to the bank.
(5) Designing nice packages
(6) Milking every cent from collectards
(7)  Buying time from his critics with feigned ignorance and empty promises
( 8 ) Winning. Because there is no such thing as bad publicity when collectards are concerned.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:20:18 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

mickcris

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 12:43:07 AM »
decided to check the website to see.  looks like Dracula X isn't coming with a copy of the translated version, just a copy of the Japanese disc.  looks like maybe hes going to have people burn the translation themselves later or something:

"This set only includes the japanese version of the game. The box offers an empty spot to place an additional disc. Translated discs will be made available for free to all fans at a later point in time."

It already is available for free to all fans though.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 02:28:01 AM »
man, i didn't mean to stir anything up.

You obviously did, troll.  This thread is done; if you want to know more, use search.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles