Author Topic: The PC-FX isn't a PC Engine or a Turbografx 16!!  (Read 511 times)

Father5&JoshUnion

The PC-FX isn't a PC Engine or a Turbografx 16!!
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:23:46 AM »
It was actually the far lesser known NEC (Sequel?) 32-bit entry into the console market.  It was mainly to compete with the Sega Saturn and Playstation.  Sadly, it didn't have the lasting power that it's little brother had when it battled the evil Big N and FEKA through much of the 16-bit wars.

It wasn't a PC Engine!  It didn't play HuCards, it doesn't even play CD-rom2, SCD or Arcade Card games!  Nope, before you even ask.. No it doesn't have a slot for Super Grafx games either.

However- also meaning that it didn't live up to the proud library of games that we saw on the little engine that could.  Me personally, I was greatly disappointed with my experience with the PC-FX.  While in my experiences (Which were a small sampling) I did enjoy a couple stand out games - Zenki FX, Chip Chan Kick, Last Emperial Prince and Sparkling Feather (Super Power League was pretty cool too), however I found the lack of actual games that weren't just digital comics, dating sims or FMV features to be too great for me.  I eventually sold it off after only a year or so of owning one. 

I've contemplated jumping back into this console to give it another chance knowing full well that I very easily could find more games to enjoy for it, however I've put it on a fairly large queue of games and other consoles that I know I would enjoy more.  As it stands, I'd rank the PC-FX up just above the CD-i in terms of 'wanting to own one'.  Which isn't very good.

Any thoughts like this of your own?  Did you go into the PC-FX expecting a follow up to the PC Engine? Were you pleasantly surprised by the console?  Do you think it stacks up to other 32-bit consoles of the time? 

Forum Topic:  If anyone has one for sale (CHEAP) shoot me a PM.  ;)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: The PC-FX isn't a PC Engine or a Turbografx 16!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:44:52 AM »
Ranks just ahead of the CD-i?!?

f*ck YOU!!!!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Opethian

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:09:47 AM »

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

jlued686

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:35:15 AM »
I didn't buy one until about 10 years ago. By that point, I sorta knew what to expect. Yet when I got it, I was really disappointed and wound up not touching it again until a few years later when I managed to pick up a handful of games. At that point: fell completely in love. No, it doesn't have a huge library. But there are some really fantastic - and more importantly - unique titles. While Chip Chan Kick isn't the Parasol Stars successor I was hoping it would be, it still is a lot of fun. And Zenki and Zeroigar are both awesome. And Pia Carrot? Hilarious.

To me, it's a nice little oddity that I set up and play every now and then. And yes: it's way cooler than the f*cking CD-i. Please...

Glossectomy

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 07:06:36 PM »
Well I just purchased mine this week and haven't received it yet. I'm curious to check out a few games, but I bought it knowing it will be more of a novelty than anything I'll put serious time into. I also got it complete in box for like $120 shipped which is basically an impulse purchase for me.

Really only leaves a handful of consoles I'm still wanting to purchase (jag CD, cdi 220 for that sweet rgb, and an Amiga cd32). Once I have those I'll own basically everything.

Father5&JoshUnion

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 11:52:01 PM »
Ranks just ahead of the CD-i?!?

f*ck YOU!!!!

f*ck me?  f*ck you!!!!!!11

Here's a list of the consoles that came out in that 32-bit/64-bit generation:
Atari Jaguar, CDi, 3Do, N64, Playstation, Saturn, PC-FX, Amiga CD32, FM Towns Marty, LaserActive, Perhaps even the Apple Pippin too?

I would rank the PC-FX in terms of playable/fun games in my opinion over only the CDi in that list.  (I haven't had much quality time with the Pippin to really judge it in any way.)

PS: I have no experience with the Casio Loopy or Playdia.  I cannot comment on those.  :(

Opethian

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 02:16:31 AM »
P!pp!n is useless to own even if you did like Marathon

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me