Author Topic: Nes2pce Possible to get more conversions?  (Read 3276 times)

elmer

Re: Nes2pce Possible to get more conversions?
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2016, 05:31:23 AM »
Just write a NES Emulator for the PCE/Turbo

And when the Wizard of OZ has done that, then perhaps he'll write a PlayStation 4 emulator for the NES, too.  :pray:

From a programmer's perspective, IMHO, what Bonknuts is doing is the only sensible way to achieve his goal of porting NES games to the PCE ... and it's a huge amount of work.

Frankly, I'm absolutely amazed that he has the patience!

spenoza

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2016, 07:12:35 AM »
Frankly, I'm absolutely amazed that he has the patience!

"I wonder what happens if I..." and "Hey, I bet I could..." is how so much of the wonderment in the world comes to be.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

HuMan

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2016, 07:28:24 AM »
A software NES emulator wouldn't work on the PCE because it doesn't have the computing capability to do that.

From what I read, Nes2Pce takes advantage of the fact that both the NES and PCE use the same CPU, a 6502 (well, 2A03 derivative in the NES, but it's very similar). The problem stems from the fact that the sound and especially the video chipsets are different in the PCE. The NES PPU and CPU audio code is converted on-the-fly to something the PCE can understand, while the CPU engine code runs almost as is on the PCE's 6502.

None of that could be done as an actual emulator. The NES PPU conversion seems to be game to game specific. Not to mention the fact that the NES has hundreds of different mappers, which also affect the Nes2Pce conversion process.

Bonknuts

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2016, 10:51:32 AM »
The NES PPU conversion seems to be game to game specific.
There are two builds of the PPU simulation cores, 8x16 sprite and 8x8 sprite. I didn't consolidate them only because I hadn't run into a game that required both.. yet. APU simulation cores are the same between games (unless they're just old an not updated).

They're not game specific. The cores get upgrades as I encounter new features that games need, but other than than - the cores recompile just fine from one rom to the next (within capability). For instance, I don't have 4 screen support (rarely used) or single screen mirroring simply because I hadn't had a need for them yet. I was working on switchable H/V mirroring, but I didn't finish it (it'll probably be the last thing I do). Features to the core get added as they're needed, but they're not game specific. Game specific stuff is more like the hacking the gamepad i/o code instead of directly emulating it, and replacing LDA/STA port opcodes with JSRs to backend core support.

Not to mention the fact that the NES has hundreds of different mappers, which also affect the Nes2Pce conversion process.
If I was dedicated enough to this, I would support more mappers. There comes a point that, not if it can or can't be done, but is it worth the time to do it? And from what I've experienced so far, everything leans towards the latter.

In my mind, I've already proven it can be done. I don't need to take it further, as a proof of concept. And the challenge no longer has the luster and allure that it once did. New challenges are just on the horizon.

PS: I use the term simulation, which is realtime in this context, to refer to the PPU/APU/MAPPER/etc emulation. I think emulation is a valid term in relation to the ppu/apu/etc cores, minus the cpu part, but in the context of what emulation means nowadays - I've avoided it to keep the anal crowd at bay. Having this argument once was enough for me.

spenoza

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »
Strictly speaking, emulation is mimicry. so what you are doing is part emulation, part... something else. It's half one thing, half another thing, and then a sprinkling of magic (or special sauce).
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Dicer

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2016, 05:35:30 AM »
Would Tetris be a simple one?

I fiend for the big T sometimes...

Black Tiger

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2016, 05:51:00 AM »

The PCE already has a homebrew Tetris.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gredler

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2016, 05:54:01 AM »

The idea of another good puzzle game on the system is on the right track. Tetris attack, Dr Mario, puzzle bobble, Puzzle Fighter, all would flesh out the PCE puzzle choices nicely. Only one of those is a nes game, but you get my drift :P

Dicer

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »

The PCE already has a homebrew Tetris.

Where can I find such a gem?

Bonknuts

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2016, 04:44:11 PM »
Gem...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2016, 01:37:00 AM »
Where can I find such a gem?

Zeograd's Lair had it, but I can't seem to get past the first page of downloads.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bonknuts

« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2016, 06:38:16 AM »
The idea of another good puzzle game on the system is on the right track. Tetris attack, Dr Mario, puzzle bobble, Puzzle Fighter, all would flesh out the PCE puzzle choices nicely. Only one of those is a nes game, but you get my drift :P
I was looking at the graphic logistics of this game. The SNES port can't deal with all the bubbles as sprites, in two player mode, so it uses its 256 color BG mode and draws in the bubbles as they connect to the rest of the tree.

The PCE can't do it all with sprites either, in two player mode, but I've figured out a way to use the PCE BG like what the SNES is doing. It's tricky, but doable.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:57:34 PM by Bonknuts »

Dicer

« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2016, 03:09:18 PM »
I was looking at the graphic logistics of this game. The SNES port can't deal with all the bubbles as sprites, in two player mode, so it uses its 256 color BG mode and draws in the bubbles as they connect to the rest of the tree.

The PCE can't do it all with sprites either, in two player mode, but I've figured out a why to use the PCE BG like what the SNES is doing. It's tricky, but doable.

Why...  :-"

Bonknuts

« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »
Freudian slip ;>_>