Author Topic: Looking for info on Lords of Thunder Demo Disc  (Read 820 times)

synbiosfan

Re: Looking for info on Lords of Thunder Demo Disc
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 07:54:07 AM »
When companies press demo discs they will have the top of the disc properly screen printed with the information as to what is on the disc.

No they don't.  Not every time anyway.

The Saturn silvers come to mind.

Ayce

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 09:00:26 AM »
Why so angry?

I'm just trying to do some research for the book I'm trying to put together. I don't understand why anyone would be getting this upset that someone is trying to dig up history on TurboGrafx items. Sorry to have offended you.

If you don't have information to share, that's fine... I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Yes, it would be very silly for someone to create a demo disc just to mess with people. That's not what I'm getting at. I'm just trying to get scans of the actual item and trying to dig up information so that I can report factual details rather than going off of what everyone just assumed.

And yes, everything can be pretty much reproduced these days but there are ways of testing authenticity. 

turns out that he just bought it off of ebay, so there is still no way of knowing for sure if it's authentic. Right back at square one again.

You don't know that any game you buy is authentic, as everything can conceivably be reproduced.  And even if that particular one was a fake, the original would have to exist for it to have been copied.... unless you think a coder reverse engineered the game and cobbled together a demo version for no reason other than to f*ck with people.  Such thinking is beyond silly.

Do you wear tinfoil hats?
Why do you feel the need to try and insult me just because I'm trying to find information? If you are annoyed by my question... don't answer. No one is twisting your arm.

Who cares about owning an "authentic" demo disc that never received packaging or even disc artwork. Just downoad and burn it and after 20 minutes of gameplay you will have experienced everything the disc has to offer, including the aesthetic of the original physical copy.
I don't care and it's not an item I will ever own in my collection. To me a demo is not something that I would pay $900 for like other people have in the past. I would find it hard pressed to pay $200 for a TurboGrafx game, let alone a demo.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:04:59 AM by Ayce »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 09:17:33 AM »
Nobody is upset, except maybe you.  If you want to doubt what long time, knowledgeable collectors have said about it and insist that they're all fakes because they don't have screened labels or because they weren't acquired directly from NEC, then it's you that has the problem.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

syphic

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
When companies press demo discs they will have the top of the disc properly screen printed with the information as to what is on the disc. So if it's real a collector out there has to own one of these things.

Not True!

Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Nullity, Jtucci31, sirhcman,  Elderboroom, dicer

Ayce

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 03:26:31 PM »
Nobody is upset, except maybe you.  If you want to doubt what long time, knowledgeable collectors have said about it and insist that they're all fakes because they don't have screened labels or because they weren't acquired directly from NEC, then it's you that has the problem.
I'm not upset, and I've not even given a hint towards that (but people don't usually attempt to attack someone when they themselves do not either feel threatened or are angry, as you attempted to me). I have not said that they are all faked... as I have said before... I am doing research. I would like to get facts on this item and not just things that have been passed down through the internet... which as we know can be sketchy.

This is why I'm trying to find someone who has owned or does own this item. As you may, or may not know, I am trying to do research for a book that I'm putting together (mostly for my own amusement, but will make it available to everyone at no cost). I want to have enough research to make sure everything in the book is completely factual rather than going off of hearsay.

When companies press demo discs they will have the top of the disc properly screen printed with the information as to what is on the disc. So if it's real a collector out there has to own one of these things.

Not True!

Thank you... frankly this surprises me. I've never seen an official demo without any sort of label on it... rather than just some hand writing. I've seen betas with such things, but when a company is producing a bunch of demos for retail kiosks they will usually have them printed rather than having some guy sit down and hand write on all of them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:08:52 PM by Ayce »

Punch

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »
Did you watch TTi's Lords of Thunder tape? Did you notice how horribly low budget it was for a promotional item? Most of their stuff except for retail items were like that, they didn't have a lot of cash to throw around.

Ayce

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »
Did you watch TTi's Lords of Thunder tape? Did you notice how horribly low budget it was for a promotional item? Most of their stuff except for retail items were like that, they didn't have a lot of cash to throw around.
That's a very good point. I watched the video the other day and it seemed to be like most YouTube videos today... looked as if they gave a camera to a bunch of monkeys and just tossed all the footage together.

Ayce

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 04:06:55 PM »
Best you're going to do on this topic is hope that Thibaut or Adol still have a pic of it (and will respond positively to an e-mail/pm request to share), or that someone here saved it locally before the image link went invalid.
I have already sent messages to Adol and the other user that owns the disc via their email through pcedaisakusen.net.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:15:05 PM by Ayce »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 03:30:08 AM »
Asking someone that's overly doubtful (to the point of being paranoid) if they wear tinfoil hats is hardly an attack.  It's a joke.  Grow a funny bone, Aycehole.

P.S. - that last bit is also a joke for any Lister fans reading along.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:24:22 AM by Necromancer »

xelement5x

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 06:10:20 AM »
With a lot of consoles that didn't have disc copy protection, many trial/beta/demo items are on just burned CDRs.  I have seen plenty of SegaCD press copies that were just burned to CDRs and sent out, not silkscreened or pretty looking.  Around the Saturn/PS1 days there was much nicer looking trial discs though.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Ayce

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »
Asking someone that's overly doubtful (to the point of being paranoid) if they wear tinfoil hats is hardly an attack.  It's a joke.  Grow a funny bone, Aycehole.

P.S. - that last bit is also a joke for any Lister fans reading along.

If that's supposed to be funny I'm glad you didn't become a comedian.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
Aww, cheer up Miss Daisy.