Author Topic: PCE DUO Controller problems.  (Read 1294 times)

TheOldMan

Re: PCE DUO Controller problems.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 06:53:59 AM »
I've tried both. The pressurized water (which isn't much pressure) ensures everything gets removed. I have been told to use distilled water to rinse with, though. So I do.
And low heat with a long drying period makes sure all the water gets evaporated :)

NightWolve

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 06:56:17 AM »
I've tried both. The pressurized water (which isn't much pressure) ensures everything gets removed. I have been told to use distilled water to rinse with, though. So I do.
And low heat with a long drying period makes sure all the water gets evaporated :)

Yeah, if I ever did this, I would leave it to dry for at least like 2 weeks or so afterwards. Still don't really trust the idea, though...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:49:54 PM by NightWolve »

thesteve

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 07:18:22 AM »
I run almost everything through the washer
Let it dry for a day after a good shake off

toymachine78

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 07:37:03 AM »
Do you use cascade? Totally being serious here lol. Detergents have abrasives in them to blast off dried food and what not. Those things can etch glass. Not sure if I would trust it with a PCB.

BlueBMW

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 08:11:54 AM »
Ive washed dozens of pcbs this way and always had great results.  Ive fixed intermittent wierd issues that caps didnt fix by washing them.  Im a believer :)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

TheOldMan

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 08:13:44 AM »
Dawn liquid dishwashing soap, actually. About 1 tablespoon in the bottom of the dishwasher. Not too abrasive, yet good at removing oily/sticky stuff (like excess flux).

Desh

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »
Dawn liquid dishwashing soap, actually. About 1 tablespoon in the bottom of the dishwasher. Not too abrasive, yet good at removing oily/sticky stuff (like excess flux).

I'm glad this method is approved as this is exactly what I did.

Desh

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 11:06:02 AM »
Well, after work I sat here and double and triple checked everything.  I don't see any other answer than replacing HuC6280.  This is not what I was hoping for.  Something must have happened in the dishwasher as the controller worked flawlessly before that changed.

I still feel the need to save this board as I have so much time invested in it I would would pissed at myself to throw it in my electronics scrap heap.

NightWolve

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 03:54:35 PM »
Something must have happened in the dishwasher as the controller worked flawlessly before that changed.

Yeah, that's why I don't completely trust the idea. Maybe you didn't let it dry long enough before you reconnected it and powered it up... Just a little bit of water somewhere, trapped underneath an IC or something could've done it, who knows.

I still feel the need to save this board as I have so much time invested in it I would would pissed at myself to throw it in my electronics scrap heap.

Just send the PCB to steve when you're ready to give up.

thesteve

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
the dish machine didnt do it
wet board didnt either
please refer to the TG16 repair manual for the pin functions
use a logic probe at the 6280 and look for the pulses from the controller

turbokon

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 01:58:20 AM »
I got a super cd-rom2 that I will try washing. Even after cap changes, I'm still getting some crackles and rattles in the sound department. 
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Desh

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 05:42:22 AM »
the dish machine didnt do it
wet board didnt either
please refer to the TG16 repair manual for the pin functions
use a logic probe at the 6280 and look for the pulses from the controller

I don't have a logic probe but I suppose I should grab one.  There are times in the future where I am sure it will be handy. 

Besides testing continuity in the original circuits to HuC6280 (all were fine) and testing continuity through the jumpers I installed (also fine), I did check voltage on the circuit.  I looked up the HuC6280 pin out and checked each controller input.  At idle I measured 5VDC on each pin (This was using ground at multiple places on the board).  When a button is pressed it goes to 0VDC because the button press is basically sending input power to ground (I think this is how it works.  This is how NES controllers work).  I'm still trying to grasp "high" and "low" inputs but I surmise that one press sends all power to ground and the opposite function (on the same input line to HuC6280) only sends some power to ground.  I assume this is the difference in high and low but I really don't know I'm just guessing.  You electrical engineers and software folks would know the answer here.  Anyways, pin 3 of the controller port handles input functions of D-pad right and button II.  This circuit goes to pin 24 of HuC6280.  When I measure power directly from pin 24 of HuC6280 to any ground on the PCB this is the result:
Constant 5VDC when no button is pressed
0VDC when button II is pressed
4.8VDC when D-pad right is pressed

Is this the same thing a logic probe is testing for just on a more accurate scale to pickup pulses and whatnot?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:44:55 AM by Desh »

TheOldMan

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 07:18:28 AM »
pin 3 of the controller port handles input functions of D-pad right and button II....

Constant 5VDC when no button is pressed
0VDC when button II is pressed
4.8VDC when D-pad right is pressed

The pad and the buttons go through a chip in the controller that switches between them.
The 4 directionals are read, then the controller lines are changed, and then the buttons are read.
It's not a matter of partial voltage being a different button. That's why you should use a logic probe - it will light on a high (~5v) and be off on a low (~0V).

Check the voltages inside the controller. It sounds like either the conductive pad isn't making good contact, or the chip in the controller died.

...and try another pad, if you can.

thesteve

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 09:32:33 AM »
The system feeds 2 pins pulses
1 pulse enables the controller
The other pulse switches between d-pad and buttons
The 4 inputs back to the 6280 will receive pulses from any input button synced to the select pulse from the system
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:37:09 AM by thesteve »

Desh

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
I'm back at it with my new (old) Micronta logic probe.  I seek the advice of you almighty smart fix it guys.

I tested pulse and there is a constant pulse on pin 31 (O0) at all times.  I measured pulses at each pin with the corresponding button presses.  My circuit in question for D-pad R and button II goes to pin 24 (K1) of HuC6280.  When I press either of these I do get a good pulse on pin 24. 

This seems to tell me that all circuits are good and the controller is doing it's job but, there may be an internal failure in the 6280?  Is this correct thinking or is there more to the story/ more tests to be done?