Author Topic: Looking for some help on a little PCE homebrew game  (Read 599 times)

Bonknuts

Looking for some help on a little PCE homebrew game
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »
Here's the link.
http://pcedev.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/game-2014/

Also, trying to get in contact with runinruder. If anyone talks with him outside the forums, can you have him PM me?

Edit: A video...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:47:28 AM by Bonknuts »

touko

Re: Looking for some help on a little PCE homebrew game
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
Sorry tom, but i can only help you with beta testing .
As i'm not a pixel artist, and you don't need coder . :?

shubibiman

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:08:39 PM »
It seems that you're looking for what's missing in the PCE homebrew scene ;(
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 02:43:24 AM »
I wish I could help you out, but any story I'd come up with would be generic, trite, and full of plot holes; and the thing about my pixel skills is that they do not exist.  If you want poorly drawn stick figures, however, I'm your man!  :mrgreen:

Best of luck, buddy.  I hope somebody talented (Paul?) steps up to help you out soon, and I can lend a hand later if you need someone to test drive it for a bit.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bonknuts

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 04:31:52 AM »
Guys, no real biggie. I figured I'd ask here first.

I do have some pixel art skills as well as some chiptune skills. If I can't find anyone, I can always fall back on that (though I rather not; I rather have people more talented in those areas). I have some other places to post wanted ads. I just figured I'd try here first (since it's a PCE game). 

Edit: I put the word out on a few forums. Now I play the waiting game? Nah, back to coding..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:24:48 AM by Bonknuts »

ultrageranium

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what would be the timing/schedule for such a project?

Bonknuts

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 11:59:27 PM »

Short/safe answer - before the end of the year.

Long answer...

This 'game' has gone through a few revisions. I originally wanted something very small, very simple, and to be released but the end of August. And to be honest, I'd be right about on target - if I had stuck to those rules; an Arkista's Ring clone.

I was following more of less: Thomson's Rule for First-Time Telescope Makers: "It is faster to make a four-inch mirror then a six-inch mirror than to make a six-inch mirror". I'm still taking that approach at heart; this game is only a single chapter long. It's more about the learning experience of putting together a completed package, and working with others as a team.

I've spent the last few (full time) days re-writing stuff to make it more flexible on the design side. Which got me thinking; I'm at a phase where design needs to be efficient (implementing changes to assets). Especially for trial and error efforts. Designing area maps and such is one example. So this means possibly re-writing/designing code. And so I've pushed the date down some, but its seems more arbitrary because there are unknowns (on the design side). I'm thinking late November to be on the extra safe side, but honestly - if there's productivity on the game/design/etc - then I'm not so much worried about the deadline.

The design/focus on the game has changed; a little more advance game design, but much smaller in length (a single chapter). I'm hoping that the differences somewhat balance themselves out. I'm keeping a steady eye on 'feature-creep'.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:15:26 AM by Bonknuts »

ultrageranium

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 01:02:00 AM »
Thanks for the detailed answer, sounds all super interesting!

I was asking because I've been looking for projects to join to learn a bit more about PCE development and would have been interested to contribute on the music/sfx side, maybe on the graphics side as well. However, I wanted to know about your dev/release schedule because right now I have some hard deadline for some heavy academic commitment and I would not be able to do anything before Jan/Feb 2015, which unfortunately does not fit at all with your plans.

Regardless, if, by the time I'm done, you are still looking for external contributions, I'd be happy to join.

Looking forward to see your telescope in action :)

esteban

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 03:09:49 AM »

Short/safe answer - before the end of the year.

Long answer...

This 'game' has gone through a few revisions. I originally wanted something very small, very simple, and to be released but the end of August. And to be honest, I'd be right about on target - if I had stuck to those rules; an Arkista's Ring clone.

I was following more of less: Thomson's Rule for First-Time Telescope Makers: "It is faster to make a four-inch mirror then a six-inch mirror than to make a six-inch mirror". I'm still taking that approach at heart; this game is only a single chapter long. It's more about the learning experience of putting together a completed package, and working with others as a team.

I've spent the last few (full time) days re-writing stuff to make it more flexible on the design side. Which got me thinking; I'm at a phase where design needs to be efficient (implementing changes to assets). Especially for trail and error efforts. Designing area maps and such is one example. So this means possibly re-writing/designing code. And so I've pushed the date down some, but its seems more arbitrary because there are unknowns (on the design side). I'm thinking late November to be on the extra safe side, but honestly - if there's productivity on the game/design/etc - then I'm not so much worried about the deadline.

The design/focus on the game has changed; a little more advance game design, but much smaller in length (a single chapter). I'm hoping that the differences somewhat balance themselves out. I'm keeping a steady eye on 'feature-creep'.

I love reading about the process behind development. 

I have zero experience with pixel art and worrying about palettes. Even if I did, though, I suck and have little free time (to suck).

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:11:42 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Bonknuts

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 06:26:49 AM »
Thanks for the detailed answer, sounds all super interesting!

I was asking because I've been looking for projects to join to learn a bit more about PCE development and would have been interested to contribute on the music/sfx side, maybe on the graphics side as well. However, I wanted to know about your dev/release schedule because right now I have some hard deadline for some heavy academic commitment and I would not be able to do anything before Jan/Feb 2015, which unfortunately does not fit at all with your plans.

Regardless, if, by the time I'm done, you are still looking for external contributions, I'd be happy to join.

Looking forward to see your telescope in action :)

I start school, full time, tomorrow. I'm not sure how much free time I'll have, but I do know that I'm at a point where the bulk of the game engine is done and I just need to add refinements to it (more than coding new logic/design). A minimum, I figured I could give it 8-10 solid hours a week (I plan to work part time, even if I'm borrowing the max on my loans this semester). We'll see.

It's not the only PCE project that I want to do. CS is my major, so it kinda fits in.. sorta ;>_>

esteban: :D

Here's a demo showing off some map/area functionality:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 07:57:51 AM »
Heh, I dig the mishmash of placeholders.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:42:48 AM »
Heh, I dig the mishmash of placeholders.

I know! The final game should actually work that into its premise...Famicom world, Neutopia world, Ys, NUON world, etc. etc. 

I start school, full time, tomorrow. I'm not sure how much free time I'll have, but I do know that I'm at a point where the bulk of the game engine is done and I just need to add refinements to it (more than coding new logic/design). A minimum, I figured I could give it 8-10 solid hours a week (I plan to work part time, even if I'm borrowing the max on my loans this semester). We'll see.

It's not the only PCE project that I want to do. CS is my major, so it kinda fits in.. sorta ;>_>

Damn, I think you are far more efficient with your time than me. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:45:07 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

spenoza

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 03:04:38 PM »
I have never done game writing before, but I do write better than many, at least in a broad sense. If I can help I'd be more than happy to.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Arjak

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 05:57:53 AM »
Neutopia III, Starring Adol Christin? :-k

f*ckING SOLD! :lol:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Bonknuts

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 06:46:33 AM »
Damn, I think you are far more efficient with your time than me. 

I'm only taking three classes; Algebra II - 5 credits (Algebra review, and Algebra II for cred in a single semester. Algebra II is part an accelerated course), Spanish - 4 credits, and writing 101 - 3 credits (MLA essay writing). Spanish is an accelerated 8 week course, so I'll have that free time after mid October. So full time (12 credits), but only three classes. Work is 16-20 hours a week (two days). That leaves me with one free day and some evenings free.

Neutopia III, Starring Adol Christin? :-k

f*ckING SOLD! :lol:

Give me all your monies now!!! Just kidding. Neutopia III is Nodt's domain. I don't want to toe step there. That's actually the NES sprite from Ys II, recolored with the PCE scheme.

Plus, I'm a much bigger Xanadu / Xanadu II / Falcom fan. Legend of Xanadu I - I beat this game when it came out BITD (imported it, translated the game dialog as I played through the game). After beating Emerald Dragon (my first RPG import for PCE), Xanadu was my seconded. I love that game to this day. Sadly, I didn't get to play Xanadu II until decades later.