Author Topic: Back In My Play  (Read 271 times)

Azzurri

Back In My Play
« on: September 14, 2014, 05:07:55 AM »
I was wondering if anyone else listens to this podcast?  I really like it as it's all about retro video games.  He does a really good job and has interviews with some of the industry guys back in the day.  It's worth a listen.

jeffhlewis

Re: Back In My Play
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:42:55 AM »
Just subscribed - looks promising. Thanks for the tip!

Right back at you - check out Slaughter's House Live on YouTube. Massively underrated YouTube channel (and this is coming from someone who hates 99.9% of YouTube VG Channels) that is very arcade focused but has lots of other material as well:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jasoncslaughter

Jibbajaba

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »
I've listened to several of the episodes, and I want to like it a lot more than I do.  It sounds to me like the host  *REALLY* wishes that he was about 10 years older so that he would have lived through the stuff that he talks about.  The show needs someone older to sit in as a co-host.  As it is, they just sound like 20-something hipsters who try too hard to make themselves sound legit.  I remember the host, in an early episode, saying that he "totally remembers the SNES launch" because when he was FIVE YEARS OLD his mom took him to the mall where they had some set up.  Based on a lot of stuff that he's said both on the show, and on the Neo-Geo forums that he was frequenting before he was run off, it sounds like he just recently got into retrogaming and is just buying shit up on eBay as fast as he can. 

I haven't listened in a long time, but in the early episodes there were three dudes.  The host I don't care much for, and then there's some snarky hipster dude that I also didn't like, but the third guy had a pretty thick southern twang to his voice.  That guy I liked a lot.  He should have his own show.

Bottom line: What makes these shows enjoyable for me are hosts with knowledge, experience, and a passion for old games.  That's what makes Game Sack so great.  They lived through that shit, and seemingly never quit playing the old stuff, while also getting into the new stuff.  So they have a vast knowledge that comes from years of experience.  You can't buy that on eBay.

Azzurri

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:01:49 PM »
I've listened to several of the episodes, and I want to like it a lot more than I do.  It sounds to me like the host  *REALLY* wishes that he was about 10 years older so that he would have lived through the stuff that he talks about.  The show needs someone older to sit in as a co-host.  As it is, they just sound like 20-something hipsters who try too hard to make themselves sound legit.  I remember the host, in an early episode, saying that he "totally remembers the SNES launch" because when he was FIVE YEARS OLD his mom took him to the mall where they had some set up.  Based on a lot of stuff that he's said both on the show, and on the Neo-Geo forums that he was frequenting before he was run off, it sounds like he just recently got into retrogaming and is just buying shit up on eBay as fast as he can. 

I haven't listened in a long time, but in the early episodes there were three dudes.  The host I don't care much for, and then there's some snarky hipster dude that I also didn't like, but the third guy had a pretty thick southern twang to his voice.  That guy I liked a lot.  He should have his own show.

Bottom line: What makes these shows enjoyable for me are hosts with knowledge, experience, and a passion for old games.  That's what makes Game Sack so great.  They lived through that shit, and seemingly never quit playing the old stuff, while also getting into the new stuff.  So they have a vast knowledge that comes from years of experience.  You can't buy that on eBay.

Yea, I do find it funny that he's younger than me and I'm 30.  I mean you can still remember playing these games at a really young age, but like you said the Game sack guys where in their teen or early 20's during the era.

I mean you can't blame him for being young during that era and wanting to 'relive' it again as if he was a teen at that time and not 5.

Another good show is retronauts as all of them have or are in the game business for a long time.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:04:49 PM by Azzurri »

Jibbajaba

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »

Yea, I do find it funny that he's younger than me and I'm 30.  I mean you can still remember playing these games at a really young age, but like you said the Game sack guys where in their teen or early 20's during the era.

I mean you can't blame him for being young during that era and wanting to 'relive' it again as if he was a teen at that time and not 5.

Another good show is retronauts as all of them have or are in the game business for a long time.

No, I don't blame him for being young.  But he should have gotten someone older to do the show with, then let that person talk about whatever was going on back in the game's heyday. 

"I have memories of the SNES launch, but I was only 5 at the time so they're a little bit fuzzy.  Bob, what was the SNES launch like for you?"

Medic_wheat

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »

I am more interested as to why he was run off

Jibbajaba

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 05:11:14 PM »

Well, it didn't take much.  Much like the old-timers are here, the people on the Neo-Geo forums don't take kindly to flippers.  Long story short, the BiMP dude (Kevin something) goes to Japan regularly for work, and while there he understandably raids the video game shops.  He would always post whatever he bought in our "What did you buy today" thread, along with the price that he paid.  So he posts up a pic of a Neo-Geo CD set that he bought, and the ridiculously low price that he paid for it.  Then immediately turns around and puts it up on eBay for full-blown retail price, then simultaneously posts the same set for sale in our Marketplace section for exactly what he had the BIN set at.  His justification for his flippy bullshit was that he had some new project that he needed to fund.  I guess he got enough backlash that he took his toys and went back to NeoGAF.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »

Well, it didn't take much.  Much like the old-timers are here, the people on the Neo-Geo forums don't take kindly to flippers.  Long story short, the BiMP dude (Kevin something) goes to Japan regularly for work, and while there he understandably raids the video game shops.  He would always post whatever he bought in our "What did you buy today" thread, along with the price that he paid.  So he posts up a pic of a Neo-Geo CD set that he bought, and the ridiculously low price that he paid for it.  Then immediately turns around and puts it up on eBay for full-blown retail price, then simultaneously posts the same set for sale in our Marketplace section for exactly what he had the BIN set at.  His justification for his flippy bullshit was that he had some new project that he needed to fund.  I guess he got enough backlash that he took his toys and went back to NeoGAF.

Ahh

Yeah resellers and flippers don't get any love from me.

There is giving reasonable deals to help the community then there is rubbing it in your face that you are getting screwed when you post these rock bottom prices the original seller got the merch for.

Azzurri

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 01:20:01 AM »
Now that you mention it, he does have a 'patreon' thing set up where you can give a certain amount of money per episode, as he does two podcasts.