Author Topic: Replace My NES Collection  (Read 509 times)

clackattack

Re: Replace My NES Collection
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 07:08:26 AM »
Dont forget Ninja Ryukenden (Ninja Gaiden). Last time I checked on it tho, it was selling for 10 times more the NES version goes for
Huh, the HG-101 article made me think that the NES was overall the best version to get. I heard that elsewhere, too. Besides better graphics, why is the PCE version the one to get?

The game speed feels slightly faster and the response of Ryu feels a little sharper as well. I will agree to the fact that the NES version has better chiptunage tho
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

roflmao

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 04:31:23 PM »
I think when you mentioned Tiger Heli, you meant Twin Cobra, unless there's a Tiger Heli for the PCE that I'm unaware of (which is possible!).

Twin Cobra is known as KyuKyoku Tiger on the PCE and both are fun to play.  I prefer the PCE version (of course), but hunted down the NES and Genesis versions of Twin Cobra and the NES version is really good. It's a bit easier since when you die, there's no pause in the gameplay. Genesis Twin Cobra is pretty crummy, but it has a sound test that's pretty cool.

Guardian Legend for the NES was made by Compile and feels like a blend of Blazing Lazers and Legend of Zelda.  It's a bit off-topic, but worth holding onti, imo.

Stinger is a Twinbee game, though nothing like the one released for the PCE.  It switches between vertical and horizontal shooting levels, much like Life Force/Salamander.

MrBroadway

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 01:49:59 PM »
Thanks, that was really informative. I did indeed mean Twin Cobra. Maybe I ought to keep it now to play something different.

roflmao

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:46 PM »
Thanks, that was really informative. I did indeed mean Twin Cobra. Maybe I ought to keep it now to play something different.

Tiger Heli was the first game in the series and Twin Cobra was it's sequel so it's easy to get the two confused.  They are both a lot of fun to play on the NES. I've slimmed down my NES library quite a bit but I don't see ever getting rid of either of those. :)

Ayce

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 01:25:48 AM »
How about Kunio Kun Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball. That was one of my favorite games on the NES.

MrBroadway

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 11:31:56 AM »
I prefer NES Life Force to Salamander for both PCE and Famicom.

Gradius II for Famicom has a comparable amount of action with less slowdown, and better music than Super Gradius III.
Anyone want to comment further on Konami shmups? I own Gradius NES, Gradius II FC, and Salamander FC. Why should I get Life Force NES or keep any of these? Will replacing them with PC Engine titles kill my bank account?

johnnykonami

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »
Gradius II for Famicom has a comparable amount of action with less slowdown, and better music than Super Gradius III.

Oh, phooey.  The instrumentation on Famicom GII might be nostalgic and interesting (like Super C), but GII is melodically a low point in the Gradius series.  Salamander, GIII (etc) have fantastic melodies.  I never listen to my CD of PCE Gradius II, since it's all reverb & strident instrumentation, and the tunes take us nowhere...

I rather like the music from Gradius II (and III as well.)  But I'm a huge nut on most older Konami soundtracks.  I was just listening to the Xexex OST while re-ripping some of my old CDs, which is another great one.

johnnykonami

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 02:26:17 PM »
How about Kunio Kun Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball. That was one of my favorite games on the NES.

And Kunio's Soccer on SCD which is a port of Nintendo World Cup Soccer on the NES.  Both are decent though, and one of the only Soccer games I like (because hey, Kunio.)