Author Topic: Help with Complete Cap Overhaul TE  (Read 302 times)

Slypty

Help with Complete Cap Overhaul TE
« on: April 02, 2015, 01:29:14 PM »
After completing my TE's Caps, I'm having more trouble with it than I did before I replaced the Caps.

I ordered a full cap kit off of eBay, and prior to that I had some leftover Caps that I used for the backlight, video and the 2 bigger sound caps.  After doing that, I restored the Contrast/Backlight, but didn't get much in the way of sound and the video still wasn't showing.

So I ordered the full cap kit, did an overhaul, and still have no Video, and the  Backlight is gone altogether.  It's just a black screen with color trying to emerge from it... almost like black and green, but no picture at all.

Why wouldn't the backlight wouldn't be working at all now?  A few of the Caps I used to replace from the Cap Kit were over-volted a bit, i.e the video Cap was 4.7uf 50V instead of 35V, and a 22uf 10V was 22uf 16V I think.  My caps all went in smoothly.

Any suggestions to troubleshoot from here would be helpful, thanks.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:41:08 PM by Slypty »

Duo_R

Re: Help with Complete Cap Overhaul TE
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:13:27 PM »
Could be a bad screen itself
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »
Check how many volts each cap is showing with a multi-meter. If any of them are below 5V then there could be a problem with a bad trace somewhere. 

Slypty

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 12:32:17 AM »
Check how many volts each cap is showing with a multi-meter. If any of them are below 5V then there could be a problem with a bad trace somewhere.

Thanks I'll try that out, appreciate it

Slypty

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 02:11:17 AM »
Something odd is going on here...

I have another TE I've been fixing for a friend. His video was acting temperamental, sometimes working, sometimes not.. but usually getting the sound of the game.  I opened his up, and replaced these Caps:
- The 470uf 6.3 V (the only one that bores through the PCB to the other side.)  It had corroded.
- The 2 Backlight 100uf 16V Caps. (Replaced with 100uf 25 V Caps)
- The Video Cap (4.7uf 35V) replaced with 50V 4.7uf

Now, I get the EXACT same problem as my other TE.. no sound, black screen.  Nothing.
So, at least this narrows down the problem to one of these 4 Caps.  My multimeter doesn't have a Cap setting, so I'll pick one up later tonight for further investigations. 

One thing can be learned from all this though.. if you're getting no sound, and you replaced your Caps, it could still be something else.  A video area Cap or the 470uf 6.3V (If mine's faulty) could be to blame.  Although this is frustrating, if I can find the root cause, I may be able to get both up and going again.

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 08:12:28 AM »
try using a multimeter to see if all the traces are good on the capacitors you replaced.

I've seen a good amount of damage in these areas due to leaking capacitors before which end up needing new connections run.

Slypty

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:17:52 AM »

I have a DMM that measure Capacitance.. I'm still iffy whether the values I'm getting are for the time it takes to charge/discharge, or the actual uF.  I don't have an ESR, do I need one to test the proper Volts? 

Good tip, I just don't know how to apply it with what I have.  (A DMM and an Analog.)