Author Topic: PAL turbografx NTSC mod  (Read 2848 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: PAL turbografx NTSC mod
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »
Out of curiosity:
I heard that the PAL TG16s were basically modded US units, as NEC never bothered to release it here. The PAL TG16 are supposedly units modded by and sold by big importers. Is that correct? So basically you unmodded the thing?

Or was there a specific PAL run after all?

I assume they're all new units.  It doesn't make much sense to pull the pcb from brand new units just to stuff 'em into slightly different cases, with different controllers and new boxes.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

108 Stars

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 11:16:26 AM »
Ah, okay. Sorry, I was unaware of the differences and assumed it was 1:1 identical to US versions, just with a "PAL version" sticker slapped on. This being special units does make it sound like a somewhat more serious/official effort.

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 01:10:41 PM »
Out of curiosity:
I heard that the PAL TG16s were basically modded US units, as NEC never bothered to release it here. The PAL TG16 are supposedly units modded by and sold by big importers. Is that correct? So basically you unmodded the thing?

In France at least, the were importers who modified PC Engine systems and translated manuals.

The PAL "TurboGrafx" was planned for a market test by NEC, but it sounds like it never even made it that far. It has non-final packaging, with accessories contained in a separate box. The NOS stock was picked up by liquidators who are still trying to burn through their supply, many years later.

It has roughly the same physical shell as the TG-16, but instead of an RF switch jack, it has a CoreGrafx/Duo style AV jack. It is compatible with the Turbo-CD, but each game runs at different slower speeds.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Ergot_Cholera

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
Out of curiosity:

In France at least, the were importers who modified PC Engine systems and translated manuals.

The PAL "TurboGrafx" was planned for a market test by NEC, but it sounds like it never even made it that far. It has non-final packaging, with accessories contained in a separate box. The NOS stock was picked up by liquidators who are still trying to burn through their supply, many years later.

It has roughly the same physical shell as the TG-16, but instead of an RF switch jack, it has a CoreGrafx/Duo style AV jack. It is compatible with the Turbo-CD, but each game runs at different slower speeds.
The AV socket is not the same as the one in the Core Grafx/Duo. It is a 5 pin din socket but the pin arrangement is not 180 degrees. The output to each pin is different too.

schweaty

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 10:34:21 PM »
The AV socket is not the same as the one in the Core Grafx/Duo. It is a 5 pin din socket but the pin arrangement is not 180 degrees. The output to each pin is different too.

do you have the pin-out?  i'm in the middle of a mod and i'm having trouble with the sound. 

mickcris

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 12:38:57 AM »
On the previous page I have the bottom of the din connectors pinpoints. You can probably use that to pin out the outside of the port.

schweaty

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 12:42:43 AM »
On the previous page I have the bottom of the din connectors pinpoints. You can probably use that to pin out the outside of the port.

thanks, dude.  that will work.  ground is in the goofiest spot ever...

108 Stars

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 07:19:28 AM »
Out of curiosity:

Do you know of any in-depth comparison or history article behind this? Maybe on this forum? I find this quite fascinating. I remember reading back in the day that NEC was considering the Duo for Europe, around the time Sega tried to push the Mega-CD here. Nothing ever materialized, but the PAL TG16 is interesting nonetheless.

thesteve

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 07:42:31 AM »
i did note that the PCB used in the PAL unit was a high quality board whereas the board in the PCE/SGX/DUO-R and US TG16 are low quality resin boards prone to cracking

Black Tiger

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 11:19:41 AM »
i did note that the PCB used in the PAL unit was a high quality board whereas the board in the PCE/SGX/DUO-R and US TG16 are low quality resin boards prone to cracking

That does make me wonder if the test marketing had gone as planned and was a success, if they would have maintained the quality for the retail version.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

wilykat

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »
PAL TG has different controller overlay but it is nearly identical to USA counterpart. I don't know if NEC made a run specifically for European market or if there was another party involved but I doubt it is a run of the mill importer, most importer don't have the resource to make a bunch of PAL edition box, manuals,  and controller panel overlay.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 04:44:07 AM »
PAL TG has different controller overlay but it is nearly identical to USA counterpart. I don't know if NEC made a run specifically for European market or if there was another party involved but I doubt it is a run of the mill importer, most importer don't have the resource to make a bunch of PAL edition box, manuals,  and controller panel overlay.

The PAL unit and its accessories were made by NEC.  This isn't a sodipeng like mod job.
--DragonmasterDan

Supercom

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 05:06:12 AM »
I'm not too familiar with the TG-16 chipset, does anyone knows if there is a SCIN out pin signal anywhere on the board?
Anyways, since I still use composite video every now and then (don't judge me  :P ) I manage to build a quick CLK divider circuit for the video encoder, that took care of the dot crawling problem.

schweaty

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 04:42:58 AM »
i just finished a component mod on a ntsc-modded PAL deck using turbokon's v1 pcb.  here's my impression:  this is without a doubt the best picture i have ever seen on a PCE or TG16. 

i've done 4-5 component mods on everything from a super cdrom2 to a US turboduo using turbokon's v1 and v2 pcb's.  the only thing i havent done one on is a duo-r/x, but i figure its about the same as a regular duo.

there are absolutely no jailbars at all.  i dont have any scientific data why its the best pic i've seen yet.  it just is.  using the same component mods on the same moniter (32" sony wega), the PAL TG16 is the best so far.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:44:39 AM by schweaty »

esteban

PAL turbografx NTSC mod
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »
i just finished a component mod on a ntsc-modded PAL deck using turbokon's v1 pcb.  here's my impression:  this is without a doubt the best picture i have ever seen on a PCE or TG16. 

i've done 4-5 component mods on everything from a super cdrom2 to a US turboduo using turbokon's v1 and v2 pcb's.  the only thing i havent done one on is a duo-r/x, but i figure its about the same as a regular duo.

there are absolutely no jailbars at all.  i dont have any scientific data why its the best pic i've seen yet.  it just is.  using the same component mods on the same moniter (32" sony wega), the PAL TG16 is the best so far.

Your skills have improved. Much less flan on the traces.

;)
  |    |