Author Topic: Replacement Controller Membrane?  (Read 441 times)

Ghudda

Replacement Controller Membrane?
« on: March 22, 2015, 06:02:53 AM »

Is there a place to get replacement rubber for PCE/TG16 controllers or am I SOL?

Thanks as always, team.

galam

Re: Replacement Controller Membrane?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 06:34:58 AM »
Did you try the mod/repair board?

schweaty

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:41:24 AM »
are you sure its no good?  ive had membranes like that and they have worked fine as long as they arent completely ripped out.  make sure the bottom (the part that make contact with the board) is clean.  if its shiny, its dirty.  you can clean them by rubbing them on a piece of paper (carefully since its torn).  you want then to look flat or dull (not shiny)

Ghudda

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 07:54:07 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions so far, curious to know if those NES membranes naturally fit. I may open up a NES pad and see if the sizing is right.

are you sure its no good?  ive had membranes like that and they have worked fine as long as they arent completely ripped out.  make sure the bottom (the part that make contact with the board) is clean.  if its shiny, its dirty.  you can clean them by rubbing them on a piece of paper (carefully since its torn).  you want then to look flat or dull (not shiny)
It works, but sometimes requires excessive force to get it to register. Since there's turbo on the controller, shmups still play fine but i'm not sure how great it'd be on platformers and such. I'll try and cleaning the contact and see if it helps.

Ghudda

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 09:30:53 AM »
It's no suprise that I ended up breaking the rubber while I was trying to clean the contact  ](*,)

Fortunately, I can confirm that the NES rubber membranes are the exact same as the TG16, with the addition of an extra mounting hole which I can just cut off. So i'll just try and either find some authentic or quality reproductions and use the NES ones.

Keith Courage

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »
NES replacement pads work just fine with the exception of the start and select buttons. No need to cut off any extra holes off of the pads either. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES-Controller-Repair-Kit-Replacement-Conductive-Pads-Lot-of-2-/171548325558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f113b6b6

Ghudda

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 06:49:12 AM »
NES replacement pads work just fine with the exception of the start and select buttons. No need to cut off any extra holes off of the pads either. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES-Controller-Repair-Kit-Replacement-Conductive-Pads-Lot-of-2-/171548325558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f113b6b6

Awesome, thanks buddy. I ended up ordering 12 sets of these just to keep extras around.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 05:41:52 AM »
Just ordered a set of these as well - thanks for posting.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 06:45:08 AM »
Chiming in, I wonder if there is a good way to make non-replaceable rubber pads conductive again? E.g. for TV remotes and similar things where the membranes are unique and the rubber is not covered by plastic.

I once tried applying aluminum foil with superglue on the contact area of an original SNES start/select button membrane. It worked very well, but lasted only a few hours since the foil went off again by itself.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:48:07 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 06:48:07 AM »
Chiming in, I wonder if there is a good way to make non-replaceable rubber pads conductive again? E.g. for TV remotes and similar things where the membranes are unique and the rubber is not covered by plastic.

They can be fixed with a coat of conductive paint or a small piece of copper foil.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 06:57:41 AM »
Sounds good. I will give it a try. Is there a type of paint that you can recommend, or a type of glue for the copper foil that sticks well to the rubber, without making it hard and brittle?

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Keith Courage

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 10:56:30 AM »
I've been able to get pads working again by slightly sanding them. I asume this scrapes off a dirty or non conductive layer making it usable once again.

grache

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 12:23:19 AM »
Has anyone for replacements membranes for the Turbostick's large buttons?
TurboGrafx-16 HuCard Collection: 7.3% complete    7 / 96 titles