Author Topic: Going rate for PC-FX?  (Read 4113 times)

MrBroadway

Going rate for PC-FX?
« on: June 27, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »
I was wondering what the going rate for PC-FX and games are these days? What's expensive, what's cheap? What would be a good price for the machine? Also, if a guy can hook me up with a bunch of games at ebay prices, would it be worth it to bring them here just to distribute them? I'm not really familiar with this system, and I couldn't find any threads going back to 2012 in this subforum or the other.

turboswimbz

Re: Going rate for PC-FX?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:41:56 AM »
Hmmm, not sure I can say too much on current prices, but about 1.5 years ago I was able to nab a PCFX for 130ish.     

Games vary quite a bit but most seem to now fall into the 20-30 range.  With the exception of a few rare more playable titles which fetch quite a bit more.  although I was able to grab a few for someone last December for 10-15 + shipping. (damned if i could remember which ones)

Keep in mind as far as distributing them, the FX has little appeal as the library is small, and is difficult to master without knowledge of the Japanese language.  So you might not have a ton of takers.  (not to say even without the ability to understand it can't be a cool and fun system, I've enjoyed the few games I've played) 

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:17:54 AM »
After buying a lot on ebay, I sold the dupes (boxed system and seven common games) for $200 shipped to another PCEFXer.  Buying in lots usually yields the best prices.

As for buying a bunch of games to resell here, I guess it depends on what you mean by "ebay pricing".  If it's standard BIN pricing, what's the point?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MrBroadway

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 06:43:37 AM »
I always mean average final auction prices. I never mean BIN, because that's just for idiots.

turboswimbz

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:13:01 AM »
I always mean average final auction prices. I never mean BIN, because that's just for idiots.

For what it's worth I would be up for buying some games.

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

MrBroadway

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 04:11:39 PM »
Any in particular? Is there a good price guide aside from ebay completed auctions? Some may be pricier than what people want, and I don't want to grab the ones that might be too high for online sales.

elmer

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 06:22:06 PM »
Some may be pricier than what people want, and I don't want to grab the ones that might be too high for online sales.

I wish you good luck ... but I suspect that you might find that to be a bit of a problem.

From what I've seen ... not that many people are really interested in the PC-FX, and those that really have the "collecting" bug are going to need to buy from Japan anyway in order to get a lot of the games.

The systems themselves can be crazy-cheap in Japan if you're willing to replace a bad laser!  :wink:

But the few "playable-by-a-westerner" games already seem to command a pretty high price ... especially when the system has no copy-protection and you can just burn an image for free.

I'd like a real copy of Zeroigar ... but I'm not willing to pay anything even remotely near what people are asking for it.

Same with Zenki.

Miraculum is on my list, and is almost reasonably priced ... but it is still mostly useless until someone does a translation of it.

Team Innocent is definitely affordable ... and there is a work-in-progress translation so it's actually playable ... but it just doesn't look like it's much fun.

Someone would probably buy Pia Carrot from you ... but it wouldn't be me.

BlueBMW

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Wait a week and I'll tell you what the going rate is for one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351440118017

If one of you goons wants it, maybe we can make a deal ahead of time.  Though I'm always curious to see what $0.99 auctions end up at...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

SamIAm

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 11:49:07 PM »
The systems themselves can be crazy-cheap in Japan if you're willing to replace a bad laser!  :wink:

Let's hope so.

Yeah, o.pwuaioc, you can get one for about 1000 yen on yahoo auctions if you don't mind getting a "junk" system that almost certainly has problems reading games.

With a controller, it's probably 1500 or so.

Working systems seem to go for 5000-8000 depending on condition.

I'd like a real copy of Zeroigar ... but I'm not willing to pay anything even remotely near what people are asking for it.

There's a sealed copy sitting in my local shop for 38,000 yen. I'll never buy it. But someday, someone will, and I will be just a little sad.

elmer

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 11:12:51 AM »

If one of you goons wants it, maybe we can make a deal ahead of time.  Though I'm always curious to see what $0.99 auctions end up at...

Looks like you got $112 for it, which I'm thinking is a pretty good deal for the buyer!

turboswimbz

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »

Looks like you got $112 for it, which I'm thinking is a pretty good deal for the buyer!

Yeah it was. Plus it's beemer, so you know the items are in spectacular shape.

BlueBMW

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 06:09:43 AM »
About what I expected :)

Was it one of you that got it?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 06:15:26 AM »

I hope so.  Better a good PCEFXer than some flipper or a collectard that'll never even try to play it.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

elmer

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
About what I expected :)

I placed a bid to stop it from going for a stupidly-silly price, but was outbid by the snipers at the end.

I like the way that Yahoo Japan has the extension feature, just like real auctions, so that everyone gets a chance to respond to the last bid. I'm sure that that helps boost the final price to the seller.

BlueBMW

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 08:39:21 AM »
Yeah the extension at the end of auctions is nice when you're a seller.  Can be frustrating as a buyer at times though hehe