Author Topic: 'Collectards' and the state of the classic gaming hobby  (Read 2579 times)

Gentlegamer

Re: 'Collectards' and the state of the classic gaming hobby
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »
I assumed it was a sperg who means well, but I guess he's just advertising his youtube vlog.

MrBroadway

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
I assumed it was a sperg who means well, but I guess he's just advertising his youtube vlog.
I think you actually might have been right at first. They're not his videos.

xelement5x

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2015, 05:22:46 AM »
The post is completely serious.

He got upset when I called him 'collectard.'

Is this that Needler guy who has like 6 different collectarding threads running on sega-16?

Man, there are some annoying people on Sega16 now.
There are some really cool smart people as well, but the turds kind of turned me off and I haven't been back to the site for awhile.  It's still not as bad as seeing Facebook retro groups though. 

I realized I was getting super stressed out a couple months back and I'm pretty sure it's because I was reading all the collectard garbage that shows up on FB.  It's 90% look at my pickups, look at what I'm selling, or how much is this worth threads.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Gypsy

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2015, 05:50:55 AM »

Is this that Needler guy who has like 6 different collectarding threads running on sega-16?

There are some really cool smart people as well, but the turds kind of turned me off and I haven't been back to the site for awhile.  It's still not as bad as seeing Facebook retro groups though. 

I realized I was getting super stressed out a couple months back and I'm pretty sure it's because I was reading all the collectard garbage that shows up on FB.  It's 90% look at my pickups, look at what I'm selling, or how much is this worth threads.

I recently shared the Ebay price fixing youtube video on a FB group to see what would happen and it devolved very quickly. Many collectards saying YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ECONOMICS!!11one and such.

Black Tiger

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2015, 06:02:27 AM »
I see too many collectards defending price fixing, gouging, etc and do the whole "you don't understands evonomics!" / "free market" b.s....  but also turn to forums/social media regularly to ask what stuff is worth, how rare items are, what items actually are, etc. They are experts who understand "collecting" better than you do, just not much about the actual subject they are collecting.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gypsy

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2015, 06:11:09 AM »
Too right. One of the collectards didn't even really watch the video because he was acting like people were accusing Ebay executives of driving up prices. I can't even be asked to reply to any the crap, I'm just watching the world burn.

bartre

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2015, 06:36:41 AM »
I see too many collectards defending price fixing, gouging, etc and do the whole "you don't understands evonomics!" / "free market" b.s....  but also turn to forums/social media regularly to ask what stuff is worth, how rare items are, what items actually are, etc. They are experts who understand "collecting" better than you do, just not much about the actual subject they are collecting.

a lot of what I'm seeing is that people's egos get wrapped into this crap, personally

Black Tiger

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2015, 07:11:58 AM »
It's like the intro of Idiocracy. The so-called free market that collectards claim is naturally balancing itself no longer exists. Just as humans have fully stepped out of the natural selection cycle. Collectards are the white trash who can't keep track of who they're knocking up and credit cards sustain collectards artificially longer, just as medical science saved Jim Bob(?)'s testicles after he jumped a jet ski into a swimming pool.

Just as scary as it is how rapidly we're catching up to the future society seen in Idiocracy (much faster than we've been progressing towards the future seen in BttF2), we are also racing towards that kind of inevitablity in the world of video games on general, but particulary the "retro" scene.

Frito is a perfect representation of today's collectard. His explanation of how he's good at sex is much more articulate that the average collectard's forum comments. His befriending of the hot coffee guy is accurately encapsulates collectard encounters. "Wow, you like games and money too? We should hang out!"

"The years passed, collectards became stupider at a frightening rate. Some Pcenginefx members had high hopes that updated price guides would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on realistic bootlegs, Posterity Editions and Magical Game Factory gems."

"Unaware of what kind of forum it was, xelement5x wandered the threads desperate for game discussion. But the collectard language had deteriorated into a hybrid of grade values, rarity, haul pickups and various grunts. xelement5x was able to understand them, but when he spoke using reason and facts, he sounded pompous and faggy to them."
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

xelement5x

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2015, 07:44:05 AM »
It's like the intro of Idiocracy. The so-called free market that collectards claim is naturally balancing itself no longer exists. Just as humans have fully stepped out of the natural selection cycle. Collectards are the white trash who can't keep track of who they're knocking up and credit cards sustain collectards artificially longer, just as medical science saved Jim Bob(?)'s testicles after he jumped a jet ski into a swimming pool.

Just as scary as it is how rapidly we're catching up to the future society seen in Idiocracy (much faster than we've been progressing towards the future seen in BttF2), we are also racing towards that kind of inevitablity in the world of video games on general, but particulary the "retro" scene.

Frito is a perfect representation of today's collectard. His explanation of how he's good at sex is much more articulate that the average collectard's forum comments. His befriending of the hot coffee guy is accurately encapsulates collectard encounters. "Wow, you like games and money too? We should hang out!"

"The years passed, collectards became stupider at a frightening rate. Some Pcenginefx members had high hopes that updated price guides would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on realistic bootlegs, Posterity Editions and Magical Game Factory gems."

"Unaware of what kind of forum it was, xelement5x wandered the threads desperate for game discussion. But the collectard language had deteriorated into a hybrid of grade values, rarity, haul pickups and various grunts. xelement5x was able to understand them, but when he spoke using reason and facts, he sounded pompous and faggy to them."

You have just encapsulated it all good sir.  I feel like I should probably just leave work now, go home and pour myself a drink, and watch Big Trouble in Little China or something. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

EmperorIng

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2015, 07:44:58 AM »
This has been happening for five or more years now (probably more; I wasn't buying older games before then), so I'm surprised that there is still so much butt-fluster going on about it. The "retro" market touches everything eventually. I'm glad I saved my Gamecube games so I can make like a bandit once the wave has -really- hit (and it's just starting).

Gypsy

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2015, 09:16:15 AM »
Mentioning credit cards reminds me of what I told myself around 2008 when I started rebuying games from my childhood and moreso holding onto games to replay them (I rotated games a lot before that because college student etc...). The way I figured back then is as long as video games weren't negatively impacting my life and bank account it was fine to hold onto them. I determined that if I ever even thought about using a credit card to acquire more video games that I would need to take a long look in the mirror and consider selling off games and consoles.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »

I recently shared the Ebay price fixing youtube video on a FB group to see what would happen and it devolved very quickly. Many collectards saying YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ECONOMICS!!11one and such.

Link the video

Gentlegamer

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
On Nintendo Age, there is a button to display recent topics or recent posts.

I just checked recent topics, there are six new topics not about buy/selling/collecting... out of fifty.

Gypsy

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2015, 12:53:44 AM »

Link the video

It's from June. DragonmasterDan posted it here in the turbo ebay gouging thread then, I'm sure you've seen it.

esteban

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2015, 01:25:00 AM »

On Nintendo Age, there is a button to display recent topics or recent posts.

I just checked recent topics, there are six new topics not about buy/selling/collecting... out of fifty.

I will pity you :) (you bastard): https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8477.msg410656#msg410656
  |    |