Author Topic: RGB mod question  (Read 236 times)

Shear_xear

RGB mod question
« on: January 24, 2016, 09:33:41 AM »
Hey everyone, I was considering adding an RGB amp to my Turbografx 16 and have televisions (one CRT one Plasma) that handle 240p.  Do I still need the converter/upscaler, or am I okay running directly from the console to the tv?  I was thinking of using a 9 pin din out to a component adapter.  Thanks, Mike

Keith Courage

Re: RGB mod question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 11:48:02 AM »
RGB requires a converter of some sort to be used on North american Televisions. However if your TV supports 240P then you can do a component video mod without having to buy a converter box.

Shear_xear

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:52:07 AM »
Cool.  Would the picture quality be identical? 

destructive cactus

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 01:02:06 PM »
I just recently did the component mod for my Duo-R. I think people might stop just short of saying 'identical', but it'd be very, very, VERY close.

I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if I get anything wrong here (as I'm new to this), but RGB basically carries the red, green, and blue signals directly to the television, as well as a fourth connection for sync. Component carries luma and sync on one connection, then the other two connections are for the difference between blue and luma, and the difference between red and luma. It doesn't send green, as that can be derived from the other signals. So, there's one less 'pin/cable' of data, and there's a bit of processing to figure everything else out, but it should be very close, and WAY better than composite and rf video.

Shear_xear

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 01:53:44 PM »
Okay, sweet! Yeah, I think that component is all around the cheapest route as I don't have a converter.  I think I need to have my father in law pick me up one next time he is in China to help with the cost a little.  Thanks for the halp!  Mike