Author Topic: ZEROIGAR RELEASE!  (Read 11602 times)

MotherGunner

Re: ZEROIGAR RELEASE!
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 09:07:37 AM »
I have never played this game.  I don't own an FX so it might be time to get a hold of one...
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

NightWolve

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
Thanks for the info!  When I tried to rip it with IMG burn it would do the analysis on the disc and then just kind of got stuck on track 2.  I let it sit there for like 30 minutes but it never finished so I figured it was just hung. 

My computer is pretty old but I've normally never run into issues.  Oh, and the disc looks immaculate so I don't think it's damaged.  I will try messing around with it again later tonight.

Ah, hm, yeah, it's probably failing on that [post] gap transition area from track 2 to 3 - that's what TurboRip was designed to handle. That is strange though, normally that's a problem with CDRWIN and other software when trying to rip tracks individually. But yeah, give the new version of TurboRip a shot with your original; I want someone with an original CD to test it out, and if you can, by logging in with your guest account and seeing if you can still rip it.

It's updated more, even more stable now, so download again:

www.ysutopia.net/get.php?id=TurboRip

TurboGrafxRetrogaming

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 09:31:33 AM »
Ah "original Zeroigar CD"! Now these "patches" and .iso files make all the sense in the world. I was like "where is the original game???" - feel so dumb. I need to get an original Zeroigar CD first - I totally understand how all this works now. So sorry and thanks for explaining it to me  :mrgreen:

1. I just finished uninstalling all the weird stuff that I blindly installed and fixed that issue.

2. Now I will get a copy of an original Zeroigar CD first before I attempt to burn the translated ISO again, properly.

3. Please disregard my noob posts on this thread. I will now go watch the GameSack PCFX episode, laugh alone in the corner and play more Team Innocent until I figure out this Zeroigar thing  ](*,)

Thanks guys!
J

Check out my random, retro, turbo-inspired, video game eye candy at:
https://instagram.com/turbografxretrogaming

NightWolve

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »
Ah, he's right, one of the mirror links from ImgBurn redirects you to Digital Digest and when I downloaded it from there, my free AVG scanned it and popped up a window to save the day claiming it detected "MalSign.OpenCandy.7AF" in the executable...

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/ww-en/virus-and-malware-information/info/opencandy/

EDIT: Hm, even the direct link elmer posted results in getting an anti-virus block - OpenCandy.7AF is in the official link. I guess that's just the default crap that I mentioned which it tries to install by default unless you uncheck it... It's the price to pay for free software - somebody else pays the bill, the sponsor, and you, the freeloader, still get to use the software for free. ;)

EDITx2: WAIT, I don't think we can trust this EXE at all - I will try to find an old version on my PC and upload it to my MediaFire account... Stay away from it for now!

Yeah, this warrants clarification to people and to pay attention to the installer which will by default check-on some sponsor's software as a means of monetization... Ah well...

(Even TurboRip, IF it succeeds, opens a link to my site so you get Google ad-spammed... Sorry. :P)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:10:41 AM by NightWolve »

Dicer

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
Well, shit...Mednafen doesn't want to run on windows 10...

elmer

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 10:31:15 AM »
EDIT: Hm, even the direct link elmer posted results in getting an anti-virus block - OpenCandy.7AF is in the official link.

Oh, crap!  :(

I guess that we should put some warning in the README to be really careful what you agree to, if you decide to install ImgBurn.

EDITx2: WAIT, I don't think we can trust this EXE at all - I will try to find an old version on my PC and upload it to my MediaFire account... Stay away from it for now!

I can't find any panic online from people about that ImgBurn download, or about the fact that a competing antivirus provider, Avast, actually ships OpenCandy with their free software.

The only people that seem to be freaking about it are AVG ... who want you to install their antivirus browser plugins instead.

From what I can see, it's not actually malicious, just one of those typical annoyances that should be avoided if possible, and checked with MalwareBytes if you're worried that it didn't fully remove itself when you realize your mistake and uninstall it.

(Even TurboRip, IF it succeeds, opens a link to my site so you get Google ad-spammed... Sorry. :P)

Hahaha ... and you even force your program to stay as the top window when I'd rather do something else at the same time and bury it under my browser window ... you naughty developer, you!  :wink:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:42:32 AM by elmer »

elmer

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 10:36:18 AM »

Doh!  #-o

Another reason to avoid Windows 10 for 6 months, to give if time to finally stabilize and for everyone to "fix" their "broken" software.  :roll:

Have you tried the "compatibility" settings (unless Microsoft decided to remove those)?

Dicer

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 10:57:07 AM »

Doh!  #-o

Another reason to avoid Windows 10 for 6 months, to give if time to finally stabilize and for everyone to "fix" their "broken" software.  :roll:

Have you tried the "compatibility" settings (unless Microsoft decided to remove those)?

Yep, tried 8 ans 7 and no dice...

NightWolve

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »
OK, here's a clean install of ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 - it's justifiable as Anti-Virus software will now try to block it and the way it's done tricks people into installing toolbar crap when they don't pay attention. It's a Potential Unwanted Adware block, you can ignore it, but you must pay attention to the installer's default attempt to install the adware!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b25ajajgacr6rrm/ImgBurn2580.zip

OK, so my link will unzip to an ImgBurn folder, and simply clicking ImgBurn.exe works - that's the extent of the install, copy it to where you like and add your own shortcuts, that's it!

Hahaha ... and you even force your program to stay as the top window when I'd rather do something else at the same time and bury it under my browser window ... you naughty developer, you!  :wink:

Oh, well, you can use the minimize button.

I can't find any panic online from people about that ImgBurn download, or about the fact that a competing antivirus provider, Avast, actually ships OpenCandy with their free software.

The only people that seem to be freaking about it are AVG ... who want you to install their antivirus browser plugins instead.

I did find anger on the ImgBurn forums actually when he started doing this. I've been tricked by that style of making it the default setup and not paying attention myself - it's deceptive and they know it!

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/21629-wtf-adware-delta-searchcom-in-setupimgburn-2580exe-downloaded-from-imgburncom/
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/127903-adware-in-install-of-imgburn-cddvdbd-burning-tool-delta-searchcom-in-setupimgburn-2580exe/

Not sure what you mean about free AVG, it just detected what's in there (aggressive adware); the panic, I guess, was on my part. It could've better separated the concept between spyware, adware, malware, etc. though, but maybe I jumped to more concern about it than warranted.

As for AVG's browser plugins, they're if you want extra protection to scan links and so forth at the expense of some slowdown to your browser - it's not extra adware...  This also lets it scan HTML pages for JavaScript and other exploits, etc. I never really install that though because the Resident Shield aspect catches something after you finish downloading it and I don't want the slowdown - but it is technically a good idea for even further protection!

Now, true, if you're using the free-for-personal-use version (not commercial!), they spam you on rare occasion to buy the full version and will compare all the benefits versus the trimmed-down free one - I get that. So the actual installed executables already advertise the full version if you haven't paid. They didn't need to install browser plugins when you already gave permission to install full executables that can have a lot more power over your computer, etc.

Nonetheless, it's great software, a necessary evil in modern times, and I wish I had it installed way back in 2007 as I caught a real virus from a JavaScript exploit that led to a hidden download of an EXE and immediate execution, then reboot... FreeAVG had that virus in its database at the time and could've protected me - instead, the virus took over my PC at the system level and it then led to a complete HDD disaster (almost lost all of my projects were it not for GetDataBackforNTFS) for me because of my panic on the situation and attempt to rebuild my system as a result... Long story how I almost lost all my legacy... But yeah, I've been using it ever since!

No matter how smart you think you are, you NEED to have anti-virus software installed on your PC. I used to think that was for dumb people who click on I-love-you email and what not... I had no idea just a simple visit to a website by clicking could lead to a quick, *hidden* download of an EXE, execution, and reboot, etc.  That's kind of when I stopped using Internet Explorer, but that doesn't mean all other browsers are free of exploits - just means hackers go after the most popular ones until they eventually find a security hole that then needs to get plugged, etc.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:07:37 PM by NightWolve »

elmer

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »
OK, here's a clean install of ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 - it's justifiable as Anti-Virus software will now try to block it and the way it's done tricks people into installing toolbar crap when they don't pay attention. It's a Potential Unwanted Adware block, you can ignore it, but you must pay attention to the installer's default attempt to install the adware!

It's definitely sad that the ImgBurn now developer feels that he needs to include OpenCandy in order to generate revenue ... presumably because not enough people are donating.  :(

I've been using ImgBurn for years, and after thinking about this today, I finally felt shamed enough to donate.

I did find anger on the ImgBurn forums actually when he started doing this. I've been tricked by that style of making it the default setup and not paying attention myself - it's deceptive and they know it!

Yep, I won't disagree ... it sucks as a tactic.

I've just looked myself, and there do, indeed, seem to be a slow-but-constant stream of complaints on the ImgBurn site, especially now that OpenCandy is getting flagged as a problem.

Not sure what you mean about free AVG, it just detected what's in there (aggressive adware); the panic, I guess, was on my part. It could've better separated the concept between spyware, adware, malware, etc. though, but maybe I jumped to more concern about it than warranted.

The complaint that I read specifically pointed out that AVG had used exactly the same bundled adware tactic to get their own product onto people's desktops.

What really makes the difference, to me, is that OpenCandy platform can offer up a wide variety of gawd-knows-what different software, and you never know how well they've checked it for malware, or if their servers have been hacked to distribute trojans.

=================

Anyway, back to Zeroigar!  :wink:

I'll update the patching process to switch it over to TurboRip, and away from ImgBurn, so that this ceases to be a potential problem in the future.

elmer

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2015, 12:21:52 PM »
Congrats on getting 'er done, so quickly too.  You guys gonna tackle another PC-FX game now?

I have a sneaking suspicion that I know what SamIAm would like to look at next.  :wink:

For myself, I'm still more interested in homebrew, and in opening up the PC-FX for new development, than I am in translating old games; but I'll spend a little time looking at Team Innocent to see if there's something that I can do quickly to help Filler and EsperKnight out with the PC-FX-specific knowledge and code that I've accumulated from doing Zeroigar.

NightWolve

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »
It's definitely sad that the ImgBurn now developer feels that he needs to include OpenCandy in order to generate revenue ... presumably because not enough people are donating.  :(

I've been using ImgBurn for years, and after thinking about this today, I finally felt shamed enough to donate.

Yeah, I'm sure he was experiencing the 99% freeloading rate we all are, those of us that keep count of such things with our freeware-but-please-purty-please-hit-that-Donate-icon... ;)

I'll update the patching process to switch it over to TurboRip, and away from ImgBurn, so that this ceases to be a potential problem in the future.

Hm, well, I REALLY do recommend it for burning CD-Rs! For those that wanna burn one to play on a real NEC PC-FX, it's one of your best shots... Those of us that downloaded an image and use emulators (and I presume that equals most of us, heh-heh) can just make do with a good CD/DVD emulator to mount the CUE file. Anyhow, I would maybe use a permanent link to something like my Zip file or clearly warn the user it will try by default to install that adware and that your anti-virus software WILL flag it as unwanted, etc.

I guess I have to edit old posts now myself to warn about this adware where I threw the recommendation for it out there... :/

esadajr

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2015, 01:18:45 AM »
Gaming since 1985

xelement5x

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2015, 04:30:33 AM »
So I used TurboRip last night and it extracted everything fine, then manually ran the patches on the ISO and it seems good.  I couldn't figure out Mednafan so I need to unbox my PC-FX to try it on legit hardware, hopefully I should have some time soon.  Unfortunately NightWolve I don't have a guest account on the machine due to domain policy. 

If I can get a solid rip figured out and tested I'm happy to share a link with others. 

If the patches complete successfully on the track 2 BIN I am assuming all is fine?
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

esadajr

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2015, 05:00:31 AM »
I have a "solid rip" figured out. The final product is a nice Cue+Bin. If someone is interested I'd be happy to help. Also I have Mednafen (Win7 x64) figured out.
Gaming since 1985