Author Topic: DNWTB (Do not want to buy) fake Sapphire  (Read 1745 times)

esteban

Re: DNWTB (Do not want to buy) fake Sapphire
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2015, 10:14:51 AM »
LMS, use Sapphire proceeds for a good cause... :)

In addition, though, I speak for everyone across the Atlantic when I say that you should still hold a raffle—for a jacket potato.

We're hungry over here. :)
  |    | 

Otaking

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »
If I have something to share (like the Richard Gibbs pdf I created) or a relevant comment to contribute then I'll chime in but otherwise I'm not really one to get that involved in discussions.
And what a contribution, that Richard Gibbs fanzine scan PDF was awesome!!! best thing I've seen on this forum since I've been on here.

In fact, I think I'm going to auction off a copy and give any resulting funds to a UK based charity called sense who provide support for deafblind people which is a hardcore shitty situation. This way some folk who will never have a decent opportunity to obey can get a bit of justice too...

https://www.sense.org.uk/

Great idea and a really worthy cause.

Lost Monkey

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2015, 11:20:31 AM »
Bit of a catch-22 isn't it?  If someone offers cash for it, they somehow don't deserve to have it.. The alternative is that they are just looking for a freebie...

The people hanging onto these discs in most cases did not pay much, if anything, for them and just happened to be in the right place at the right time... Simply having one has become some sort of measuring stick of worthiness around here... implying that it has some greater intrinsic value... f*ck THAT.    This disc is barely a notch above a CD-r, and only because it will play on any system with an ACD, and CD-r's will not (necessarily).

In three years of expressing my interest in obtaining one of these worthless boots, I have had exactly one offer - straight up trade for my original Dracula X. 

esteban

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »

Bit of a catch-22 isn't it?  If someone offers cash for it, they somehow don't deserve to have it.. The alternative is that they are just looking for a freebie...

The people hanging onto these discs in most cases did not pay much, if anything, for them and just happened to be in the right place at the right time... Simply having one has become some sort of measuring stick of worthiness around here... implying that it has some greater intrinsic value... f*ck THAT.    This disc is barely a notch above a CD-r, and only because it will play on any system with an ACD, and CD-r's will not (necessarily).

In three years of expressing my interest in obtaining one of these worthless boots, I have had exactly one offer - straight up trade for my original Dracula X.

Paradise.
Lost.
Monkey.
  |    | 

LMS

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2015, 12:03:12 PM »

If this is a direct response to me then I'm not sure I really follow you... You're right that I paid nothing for these discs and it was indeed very much a case of being in the 'right place at the right time. And I agree that aside from their novelty in being a weird misprinted item, they have little more intrinsic value than a CDR. Hence my initial desire to get them into the hands of people who might place more personal value on them. The concern is, as pointed by other forum members, there's no real way to verify that's what will happen if they're handed out at random. The scenario that would really suck is if someone opportunistic where to take one for free and then immediately list it on ebay or sell it privately. I'd love to think that wouldn't happen but there's no real way to tell.

I don't feel comfortable selling (or even trading) them because as everyone is aware they were originally distributed for free, which is what lead to the idea that maybe a charity could benefit from an auction of one instead. I'm not expecting it to raise any significant amount but it seems like a nice neutral way to solve the issue. If someone offers more than anyone else in the auction and then chooses to flip it for profit, then at least a charity got to benefit to some extent in the process. If said sneaky winner outbid everyone else, then went to the trouble of listing and successfully selling it for more elsewhere, then maybe that's not the biggest injustice in the world anyway.

Your point about the catch 22 nature of the situation makes no sense to me at all though. If you want to offer cash for it (and it's more than anyone else in the auction) then you clearly deserve it and will receive it. If you're not prepared to spend any cash to get it then that's totally fine too, but in that case you are by definition 'just looking for a freebie'. There's nothing wrong with being interested in something for free and I never meant to suggest that when I asked but if nobody here is interested in paying for it, then it's hardly worth me attempting an auction as there will be no bidders.

Apologies if I misread the tone of your post but the catch 22 question seemed like it was addressed at me directly as a response to my previous post.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 12:08:45 PM by LMS »

Lost Monkey

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2015, 12:55:17 PM »

If this is a direct response to me then I'm not sure I really follow you... You're right that I paid nothing for these discs and it was indeed very much a case of being in the 'right place at the right time. And I agree that aside from their novelty in being a weird misprinted item, they have little more intrinsic value than a CDR. Hence my initial desire to get them into the hands of people who might place more personal value on them. The concern is, as pointed by other forum members, there's no real way to verify that's what will happen if they're handed out at random. The scenario that would really suck is if someone opportunistic where to take one for free and then immediately list it on ebay or sell it privately. I'd love to think that wouldn't happen but there's no real way to tell.

I don't feel comfortable selling (or even trading) them because as everyone is aware they were originally distributed for free, which is what lead to the idea that maybe a charity could benefit from an auction of one instead. I'm not expecting it to raise any significant amount but it seems like a nice neutral way to solve the issue. If someone offers more than anyone else in the auction and then chooses to flip it for profit, then at least a charity got to benefit to some extent in the process. If said sneaky winner outbid everyone else, then went to the trouble of listing and successfully selling it for more elsewhere, then maybe that's not the biggest injustice in the world anyway.

Your point about the catch 22 nature of the situation makes no sense to me at all though. If you want to offer cash for it (and it's more than anyone else in the auction) then you clearly deserve it and will receive it. If you're not prepared to spend any cash to get it then that's totally fine too, but in that case you are by definition 'just looking for a freebie'. There's nothing wrong with being interested in something for free and I never meant to suggest that when I asked but if nobody here is interested in paying for it, then it's hardly worth me attempting an auction as there will be no bidders.

Apologies if I misread the tone of your post but the catch 22 question seemed like it was addressed at me directly as a response to my previous post.

Wasn't directed at you, as much as the situation in general.

In my opinion, you and anyone else are welcome to do with these discs as you wish.

The catch-22 is caused by the reseller paranoia around here (which is mostly justified!) which causes people to believe that someone who has to ask for the disc doesn't deserve to have it.