Author Topic: Xanadu II Translation Development Blog  (Read 22466 times)

turboswimbz

Re: Xanadu II Translation Development Blog
« Reply #630 on: August 06, 2017, 01:42:24 PM »
L'arrow l'orange....

....because folks will have a 13% chance of noticing l'orange and 3% likelihood discerning its purpose (n=21).

The white arrow has a 4% chance of being noticed and a 0.000001% chance of inducing someone to manipulate it/figure out its raison d'etre (n=25).

METHODOLOGY: I showed these images to dozens of strangers in a public restroom at a local park. I recorded the results by keeping tally on a steamy mirror. At one point, I had to recreate the tally from memory (a patron inadvertently wiped away the data when he used the mirror to pluck some errant hairs from his eyebrows). Performing a linear regression analysis, I am 95% confident I recreated the data accurately without any errors (+/- 30% margin of error).

:)

What was your slope value?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

esteban

Xanadu II Translation Development Blog
« Reply #631 on: August 06, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »
Let me see....

y=(m)x+blodia....
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #632 on: August 07, 2017, 03:22:05 AM »
I think it should be white because it's just a little hint that there's more to the menu.  You can play the entire game and never need to access the inventory, so a glaring orange billboard seems a bit much.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #633 on: August 07, 2017, 03:37:43 AM »
I think it should be white because it's just a little hint that there's more to the menu.  You can play the entire game and never need to access the inventory, so a glaring orange billboard seems a bit much.

SADLY, it's still very easy to miss the tiny orange triangle.

So, ORANGE IT IS.

Thank you.
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #634 on: August 07, 2017, 03:39:18 AM »
Orange shouldn't be used because it's associated with Trump.

If I press right on the d-pad, will he grab me by the pussy?  I can't take that chance.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #635 on: August 07, 2017, 03:50:12 AM »
Orange shouldn't be used because it's associated with Trump.

If I press right on the d-pad, will he grab me by the pussy?  I can't take that chance.

Dammit. I cannot provide a counter-argument.

|    | 

elmer

« Reply #636 on: August 07, 2017, 05:23:52 AM »
Going with the blue background and white letters led them to use the complimentary Orange against the background to make anything they wanted to stand out do so.   

So the question becomes to me what is it that you and sam want the arrow to do.  stand back in the background as a reminder or is it to be a more obvious marker to the player to another screen.  there are merits to both.  As you want the player to be able to find it, but you also don't need attention called to every time after they know it's there.

I'm going to lean towards the Orange based both on its location on the screen and the fact that it donates an action the player can take.  and it just feels more intuitive to the design, almost like I don't have to think about it being an arrow, in the same way, you don't think hey there is a stop sign you just instantly stop.  that being said I find the white also appropriate and could be swayed perhaps to change my stance.

I think that's an excellent summary of the situation and the choices!  8)

And this is basically the argument for using the white arrow.

It's the smallest change that we can make that *might* give the player a clue that there's more to see if they press right on the joypad when they're at the edge of that part of the menu.

In that case, while I like the look of the white arrow better, I'd say go for the orange one because, as it was said by more than one people before, it can't be missed, but not only that, there's already another orange arrow elsewhere on the screen, having this particular arrow also be orange would make the UI look more consistent you know what I mean?

And this is the argument for using the orange arrow.

Falcom are using the color white for "status/information/deselected", and orange for "current-selection/selected/press-this".

They are already using the same orange arrow on the switch that changes between the ICON and CFG buttons (i.e. the menu changes when you press that button).

So an orange arrow already has a defined meaning in Falcom's UI design, and putting another orange arrow on the border is consistent usage.

A white arrow is never used anywhere else in the game to signify anything. It has no defined meaning. But perhaps you could consider the white "deselected" buttons as giving enough of a clue.

I do understand the idea of making the smallest *visible* change in order to give the player a clue, especially when, as Necromancer says, you can play through the whole game without ever going to the Inventory screen.

The problem is (from my POV), that a white arrow is actually a *bigger* change to Falcom's UI, because it has no meaning, and doesn't fit in with their design scheme, wheras the orange arrow looks like it could have been a part of the original screen.

At the end of the day, I don't think that it really matters which color we use; but I strongly favor consistency in meaning and operation, and so lean towards the orange arrow. It's just (IMHO) clearer what it means.

And now that I've said that ... the white arrow is what is currently implemented in the game!  :wink:

turboswimbz

« Reply #637 on: August 07, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »

They are already using the same orange arrow on the switch that changes between the ICON and CFG buttons (i.e. the menu changes when you press that button).

So an orange arrow already has a defined meaning in Falcom's UI design, and putting another orange arrow on the border is consistent usage.A white arrow is never used anywhere else in the game to signify anything. It has no defined meaning. But perhaps you could consider the white "deselected" buttons as giving enough of a clue.The problem is (from my POV), that a white arrow is actually a *bigger* change to Falcom's UI, because it has no meaning, and doesn't fit in with their design scheme, whereas the orange arrow looks like it could have been a part of the original screen.

This is what I Meant by it seems more intuitive.  But the white is nice too.  I appreciate both yours and Sams attention to detail. can't wait to play.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Bardoly

« Reply #638 on: August 07, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »
I think that I have to fall on the "Orange seems to fit the menu color scheme better,and be much more visable." camp.  I can see the argument for white, but I just think orange is better here.

seieienbu

« Reply #639 on: August 09, 2017, 06:43:38 AM »
I like the orange arrow both for consistency with the second arrow down below and for the fact that it really pops against the white and blue.  I don't feel that either looks out of place however and also don't feel so strongly about my opinion that either decision is problematic. 
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

spenoza

« Reply #640 on: August 09, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »
I think the way to approach this is to imagine that you have a Falcom style guide in front of you. Which would be most consistent with this hypothetical style guide?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

haightc

« Reply #641 on: August 09, 2017, 12:03:59 PM »
It seems like orange to me is the most logical choice, text/items in default state are white(ish).   The is intended to something and make it active/select the cursor should be the same color as the active color state, similar to a highlighter.

esteban

« Reply #642 on: August 14, 2017, 02:11:08 AM »
Excellent, it is settled then: Orange.

Thank you, all.

:)
  |    |