Author Topic: Been considering buying a PC-FX system for a while now. I may pull the trigger  (Read 1151 times)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
It is a bizarre attraction.  I had it before and after a few weeks it collected dust and I lost interest.  Yet... I still wish I had it around.

blueraven

It doesnt get nearly as much use as any of my PCE consoles, but is badass nonetheless.

I only have played Zeroigear and Battle Heat, but I like them both.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

turboswimbz

THe system is neat, it's a great conversation piece.  Mine gets played on and off. BUt I wouldn't get it just for that reason, to have it sit and collect dust is just silly.  THe games can be quite fun if your generally willing to put some time into them.  Zerogar and battle heat are cool, and so are a lot of the other games.  There is generally a lot you miss if you can't read/understand the language hawever so it's something to consider.     Overall  I would say try some games out first if you can, then get it of you are still intreted.  It's not a console that's going to get super heavy play time, but one that you might find you really enjoy anyway.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

elmer

It's not a console that's going to get super heavy play time, but one that you might find you really enjoy anyway.

Well, I hope that we can get the PC-FX opened up for homebrew over the next year, and perhaps then we'll see some new stuff on it.

It really is a nice console design, and it's going to be much easier for any aspiring homebrew developers to work on than the PCE (or gawd forbid, the Saturn!).

turboswimbz

It's not a console that's going to get super heavy play time, but one that you might find you really enjoy anyway.

Well, I hope that we can get the PC-FX opened up for homebrew over the next year, and perhaps then we'll see some new stuff on it.

It really is a nice console design, and it's going to be much easier for any aspiring homebrew developers to work on than the PCE (or gawd forbid, the Saturn!).

This would make me happier than a clam.  I really like this damn PC tower box and the controller a lot.   
And I should point out thanks to your work on zeriogar the FX did get quite a bit of play time recently.  I played through that game a lot, the replay is quite remarkable for such a "simple" shooter. (simple for lack of a better term)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

DPCameron

When you buy a PC-FX and games, you really have to come at it from two angles. There are a few consoles like this.

On one hand, you want to play games, obviously. The PC-FX is hard to do, for reasons that have already been stated. It's not impossible to enjoy without knowing Japanese, but it does become harder. If you can afford the games that are playable without Japanese, then it's great!

On the other hand, you have the collector mindset. The one that wants something obscure and not well known. Something to talk about and show off to people. This is perfect for that.

The PC-FX represents the last of the "classic" consoles in my mind. The last time that 2D art was the pinnacle of game design. For that reason alone, it's one of my favourite consoles and I'll defend that position until I die.

Seriously, you should try the games before buying. Like them or not, you should then consider whether it's a piece of history that you would like to own, regardless of games and homebrew.

It is a piece of history and shouldn't be forgotten. Thank science for this forum (^_^)/

lwizardl

I also want to get one of these systems, but knowing very little japanese I know I will have a tough time with some of the games.