Author Topic: (10/17/2015 - 10/23/2015) Game of the Week: Lords of Thunder  (Read 987 times)

csgx1

Re: (10/17/2015 - 10/23/2015) Game of the Week: Lords of Thunder
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2015, 06:29:04 PM »
I've been playing Lords on 'Super' difficulty and getting slaughtered.  I do well with the 'Hard' setting but 'Super' is on another level.  I passed the first level after several attempts and quickly got killed on the second level boss.  The enemy suicide bullets and more enemies on the screen makes it almost impossible to avoid getting hit multiple times.  Definitely a greater challenge and adds to the replay value. 

Jason_dicarlo85

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 04:56:45 AM »
Have never played this one gonna have to give it a shot.. Also can I submit number 18

geise

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 05:05:32 AM »
So true.  I have no problem on hard ,but super really is on a whole other level.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:11:52 AM by geise »

seieienbu

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »
Ran through it again last night.  I absolutely love the aesthetics of this game.  It feels like most shooters are in spaceships and most of the rest are cute-em-up type games.  Lords of Thunder feels like the best of everything I can recall about the 80s wrapped up in one beautiful love letter sent just after the decade ended.

I always liked the look of this guy...

I saw it in a Gamefan magazine talking about upcoming platforms and hoping that I'd get a sequel on the thus-far unreleased PCFX.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

geise

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 10:13:58 AM »
Haha!  Yeah I was so excited for the PCFX just from that pic in GameFan back then.  Oh, what probably could've been. 

I just tried Lords of Thunder today on Super.  Holy hell I forgot the enemies shot bullets after they die as well.  So, you need to have strategy on which ones you want to kill.  I would get stuck in a corner so I would just have to dodge rather than shoot or I'd eat it.  Funny how on normal and hard there really is no strategy, but man you really need to figure stuff out on Super.

seieienbu

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 11:18:43 AM »
iirc, it was the same magazine that said Ys 5 would be a launch title for PCFX.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

shawnji

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
Meanwhile, in I-Suck-at-Shooters Land, I tried it again the other day (granted, via emulation with a Wiimote in hand) and I managed a single stage before giving up after about 20 minutes or so...

I don't know why I can get into Cotton, despite dying over and over again just as much in that, yet this just... I don't know.  It just doesn't really appeal to me, I guess.  I like the music well enough, but there's just something about it I can't seem to put my finger on.

shawnji

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 04:01:31 PM »
I like the music well enough, but there's just something about it I can't seem to put my finger on.

there is your problem: try using your thumbs. I tried playing it with my fingers and got nowhere. Using thumbs makes all the difference in the world!

Oh, suuurrrreee.... Next you'll be telling me that I actually have to push the buttons instead of just thinking at it really hard!  I don't know where you people get your crazy ideas!

SamIAm

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »
Also can I submit number 18

You sure can?

Although it might become #19 by the time you do. ;)

shawnji

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2015, 01:27:05 PM »
Well, you guys would be proud of me, I actually finally got the hang of the hit boxes and got up to the end of the sixth stage (I forget the name of it) last night. 

I then took a break and played R-Type Complete up to the mid-point of the fifth stage before I rage quit. XD  Took me forever to realize you could actually shoot the shield and put it on your backside.  Yes, yes; I am an idiot when it comes to shooters, but I'm getting better!

jtucci31

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2015, 03:40:23 PM »
Lords will definitely get some play here at my house this week.  Such an amazing game!

I was just watching the promo VHS tape for it a few days ago. Love the random vehicle stunts thrown in
HA! I love watching this VHS. I'm happy Null gave one to me awhile back, it's so great and makes me laugh every time :lol:

I've been playing other shit and I know I'm late but over the next few days I hope I can put in the time and effort to beat this one through. I like this game but haven't really dug deep enough yet. Now's the time!

Gredler

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 07:32:02 AM »
Last night I finally had some free time to play some games for more than 15 minutes, and LoT was on the top of my list to get to - better late than never!

I had to burn down a shady path to play this game, I never had a duo or cd + system cards until early last year, so this game became prohibitively expensive for me to acquire otherwise, so apologies to the purists :)

The first thing that slapped me in the face with awesome, as many have mentioned, were the tunes.

Hori spriggan shirt these tunes are mind blowing. I am a bit of a metal head mostly for the guitar riffs these tracks so deftly execute. The tunes gave me flashbacks of Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen - I felt like the reward for victory in this game was going to be the keys to the Lamborghini

But then there was the gameplay, and it did not disappoint.

I initially tried the earth armor, thinking that's what was recommended here to make it easier. I made it through the first level without issue. After the first level I was able to power my guy up at the shop almost fully decked out, and really did feel like a Lord of Thunder raining down death upon the entire screen thanks to all of the gems I had collected. The gem collecting mechanic is rad for various reasons. I love the urge to weave between bullets and position your character in areas you wouldn't if not for trying to grab loot.

The damage system is forgiving enough to encourage this risk taking, and really made for a liberating shooter experience. I ended up loosing all of my HP and getting a game over during the second stage (I was progressing in the automatic order). I restarted the game and tried another armor, the fire armor.

I really was amazed by how differently the weapons acted and changed the gameplay. I was now a lot more comfortable with the level layouts of what I had played, and more aware of what each piece of loot did, so I breezed through the first two levels, but ended up losing halfway through the third.

By this point I was endlessly curious about what the Sega CD version was like. I had the Sega CD as a kid but mostly stuck to Sonic, Lunar, and those bad ass music video generation softwares - you know, just the real FEKA classics.

I procured a charred disc and popped it in, and had a few disappointments right off the bat with the Feka CD version. First, the rad opening cutscene did not appear to play, and the colors were muddied up everywhere. Did Sega foresee the future of game's art generally being tinted brown, talk about ahead of their time. I do have to say the parallax was a bit smoother, and the layers blend together a bit better on the Sega CD version, but the colors really ruin it, and the music, while rad, had lost a bit of charm (fanboysm?!)

I decided to give the gameplay a shot, and these difference carried on past the title screen. I picked the wind armor (i.e. easy mode) this time. I sprinted through the first 3 levels like a hot nullity through butter. The enemy patterns, and even variety of enemies, appeared to be a lot different on the Feka version, but am I wrong to think it's significantly easier? I ended up beating all of the select-able stages, and to my disappointment the audio started skipping during the cutscene before the last level, throughout the last levels, and during the ending and credits. I could not believe I ran through the game, and was happy to have beaten it, but really felt like that Obey Karma made the audio skip on the Feka CD's final moments, encouraging me to do it again on the proper platform.

Overall, I am so thankful I played through it, and will do it again asap on PCE - I prefer the color, music,  and enemy placement of the obey version - and hopefully the spin-fried version I have does not skip audio!

It should be noted that the disc I used for the Feka version was pretty beat up, and I think if I used a proper clean disc (as I did on the PCE version I used) I wouldn't have had a problem.

Also, my apologies for the length of this post, I know it's a bit long, but I wanted to document the transcendent moments I had with this game across the two platforms I tried it on :)