Author Topic: Xanadu I and II - General Translation Project(s) Thread  (Read 11383 times)

SamIAm

Xanadu I and II - General Translation Project(s) Thread
« on: October 21, 2015, 11:02:09 PM »

A Brief History

The original Xanadu II translation project started in the spring of 2011, when I had just beaten the game for the first time and decided it was probably the best action RPG I'd ever played. Work progressed swiftly at first. Within three months, I had translated all the text that Esperknight could extract and made a complete fan-dub for the cut-scenes. However, the project stalled in the late summer and autumn as problems related to extracting all of the script and extracting it cleanly (ie decompressing it properly) got in the way.

It wasn't until the spring of 2012 that Esperknight got the entire script out of the game in a clean fashion. In truth, we had only gotten about 40% of it the year before. Also, I had to cut-and-paste my old translations into the new script manually, so there was a lot more work to do. By then, I was spending all my time on translating Princess Crown, so the new-and-complete Xanadu II script wasn't 100% in English until November 2012.

And that's when things kind of stopped.

The problem was getting the script back into the game and getting it to display. Esperknight is a swell guy and a competent programmer, but I think some of the difficulties involved in accomplishing those tasks overwhelmed him a little. Also, he has a busy home life, a busier job and multiple other projects in the works at all times, so this one just wound up on the back burner, and that's how it stayed for a couple of years.

Finally, in 2015, I met elmer, who in my estimation is nothing less than a hacking superhero. In a matter of months, we cranked out a translation for Zeroigar on PC-FX, and its presentation quality is better than I had ever hoped for, mostly thanks to good hacking work. Naturally, I had to ask elmer if he would like to finish of Xanadu II with me. Delightfully, he agreed.

The Two Games

Elmer started hacking Xanadu II from square one. It has only been a few weeks since he began, but already he has not only cracked Xanadu II, but also made enormous headway into opening up Xanadu I for translation as well.

Xanadu II is first in line to get done. At this time, the script is extracting completely, including odd things like the menu text and weapon shop text. Once any remaining kinks are ironed out and the layout of the dump is finalized, we'll be able to transfer my old translation into the new dump (hopefully using automation) and begin reinsertion. No promises, but since the Japanese-to-English side is already so far along, this should come together relatively quickly.

Xanadu I is a beast of a game. It is literally 2.5 times the size of Xanadu II in almost every regard: it takes about that much longer to beat, there is about that much more text, and the cut-scenes are about that many more minutes. Though there are some things about the way it operates behind the scenes that are structurally simpler than Xanadu II, we're also more starved for free RAM with it. A good English translation is going to take up a lot more space than the original Japanese text, so some miracles are going to have to be performed to make everything fit. However, I am very optimistic about it coming together.

I really hope it does, too, because Xanadu I is a hell of a game.

However, at this time, none of the enormous in-game script is translated. It's going to take a while. Happily, while waiting for new script dumps, I have as of today completed my first draft of an English script for Xanadu I's cut-scenes. They literally total over one hour in running time, and the draft is over 5000 words. And this leads me to...

Dub Projects

I do intend to make a fan-dub of Xanadu I. If some of the better performers from my original 2011 project are up for working on Xanadu I, then great; if not, I'll probably re-cast their parts in both games. There were a couple of performances in the old project that didn't turn out all that well, often due to poor recording quality, so I'll possibly re-cast them as well.

If people here would like to participate, I'll be very glad to receive your auditions.

However, it is still very premature for that. There is no reason to get started on all of this until the scripts for both games are basically done. That's the only way I can guarantee the same actors in both games, and it's also the only way I can make sure that I'm not missing any sort of contextual information.

Just sit tight for now.

Final Thoughts

If elmer and I are going to do both games, then frankly, I think it makes the most sense if we aim to release both at the same time.

If we pull this off, I think it will be a great thing both for the PCE community and for English-speaking gamers at large. These two Xanadu games are wonderful. They're peak Falcom, for heaven's sake, and they're exclusive, too.

Though I hate to clutter up the forums with yet another Xanadu thread, I would hate even more to hijack elmer's excellent development thread, and the old Xanadu II thread is just that - old. It's also limited to the second game only. Therefore, I'm going to talk about the work currently happening on my end right here, where we can keep things focused. In addition to Japanese-to-English related issues, I'll update on other general things, like play-testing, when the time comes.

Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:16:18 AM by SamIAm »

BigusSchmuck

Re: Xanadu I and II - General Translation Project(s) Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 03:05:32 AM »
This is great news! If you guys need any help with pc hardware donations or $$$ please just let me know! I wish I could be more of help in other areas (beta testing), but this job of mine takes up quite a bit of my time nowadays.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 03:39:26 AM »
'Tis awesome that you two are working on these Falcom beauts.  :mrgreen:

Though I hate to clutter up the forums with yet another Xanadu thread....

It's not clutter at all.  Stuff like this is 10x better than the repeated 'which system should I buy?' threads or the misplaced 'for sale' threads.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Dicer

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 05:38:23 AM »
I will 10000000000000000000000000% be down for doing a voice if the need arises...

Awesome work, and I look forward to seeing one or both finished in the not so far future.

jtucci31

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 05:40:44 AM »
I think that there aren't enough Xanadu threads! Thanks for the update SamIAm. If there's anything I can do to help, I'll be there

seieienbu

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 05:41:54 AM »
I'm super glad that these two games will finally be playable in English.  The first Xanadu was the first game I ever imported and I've always wanted to know what everyone's saying everywhere. 

I am a bit curious as to why you feel both games should be released at the same time rather than when they are done...?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

elmer

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 06:18:39 AM »
I am a bit curious as to why you feel both games should be released at the same time rather than when they are done...?

This is just my personal feeling, but everyone has waited 20 years already ... waiting another few months for them both to be ready at the same time isn't a huge burden.

I'm guessing that when they're translated, then it'd be best to play the games in their proper order so that you can enjoy the story at-it-was-intended ... but Xanadu 2 is likely to get done first, just because SamIAm's translation for that one is already "complete".

But it's more-than-possible that he may want to go back and change a few lines if they're referring to events that happened in the first game.

At the end-of-the-day, this translation is all about making Falcom's story/writing available to those of us who don't understand Japanese.

I was really impressed by SamIAm's ability to make the Zeroigar story sound both natural in English, and enjoyable, all without dumbing-down the language to a grade-school level.

He tells me that the stories in these Xanadu games are some of the best that he's ever seen in a game ... and I, for one, am looking forward to being able to understand/enjoy them in the confidence that he's exactly the right guy to support with my time-and-effort in his desire to get this/these games translated.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:38:22 AM by elmer »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 06:26:20 AM »
That's good enough reason for me.  Even if you put out LoX 2 first, I'd wait to replay it until after LoX 1 anyway.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

elmer

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:34:04 AM »

so tobias can release a box set collectors combo... duh!

Haha ... "yes", there is our multi-million dollar licensing deal with the Devil to consider (well that's what he promised, and sounded honest!).

There will be a "public" version of the translation ... but that one will have every-other-word cut out.

Anyone that complains about this will be hunted down and confined in a VGA-graded box in the dungeon of my secret lair!

Wahahahaha!  :evil:

But practically ... "yes", once these translations are done, it's easy to imagine that Tobias will plan on taking them and making another PCEWorks collectard set.

We're trying to think of ways to discourage this ... but he's a smart b*stard, and there are limits to what I can think of doing.

NightWolve

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 07:02:26 AM »
He tells me that stories in these Xanadu games are some of the best that he's ever seen in a game ... and I, for one, am looking forward to being able to understand/enjoy them in the confidence that he's exactly the right guy to support with my time-and-effort in his desire to get this/these games translated.

That's wonderful to hear!!!! Yaaay! :)

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 08:22:35 AM »
Elmer started hacking Xanadu II from square one. It has only been a few weeks since he began, but already he has not only cracked Xanadu II, but also made enormous headway into opening up Xanadu I for translation as well.

SamIAm and elmer, you rock! :D
More bumper cart action on the PCE is worth it's weight in gold!

http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

SamIAm

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »

In short, releasing both at the same time helps me ensure consistency and accuracy. I can use the same actors in both dubs, and I can make sure that the Xanadu II script is not missing any context from Xanadu I.

For example, in the old Xanadu II dub, I made the grave mistake of assuming that a character mentioned in passing from Xanadu I was a man. This was not the case. One of the lines in the old dub script said "he/his" when it should have been "she/her", and now I have to either hope that the same guy from four years ago can record for me again, or I've got to recast the whole part. I'm just glad I found this before we released anything, or else I would be even more embarrassed.

Releasing both at the same time simply makes for better quality translations, and I really want these to be as good as possible.

================================

Since elmer mentioned story, let me describe how I feel the story impacts these games with an abstract example.

Playing Xanadu II without understanding the story is like looking at a photograph that's had its bottom right quarter cut off. Maybe you can sense that that quarter wasn't where all the critical information was...heck, maybe it actually seems inconsequential. Maybe the rest of the picture still looks perfectly good on its own. However, without that quarter, it's really difficult to relax and enjoy what you have. You focus way too much on what you know you're missing.

Playing Xanadu I without understanding the story is like looking at a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle that someone managed to put together even though a random third of the pieces are missing. Somehow, you can still get a pretty good idea of what the image is supposed to be. You're objectively missing more than Xanadu II, though, and the way it feels to look at it makes you wish you had the missing pieces a lot harder.

What I want to emphasize with these examples is that in both cases, the missing stories ultimately just compliment a whole that's mostly there already. There are other games...for example, let's pick an easy one: Snatcher...where playing without understanding the story is like looking at a photo with the subject perfectly cut out with an exacto knife and thrown away. The surroundings may look pretty, but what you're really supposed to see just isn't there, so what's the point?

However, that's not what's going on with the Xanadus, and I don't want anyone to over-anticipate what the stories are going to do for the games. In truth, both stories are fairly simple. There's not a lot of clever intertwining of plot threads and drama between characters or anything. I see them more as supporting and guiding you, the player, through the experience of adventuring in this fun fantasy world. They merely add a layer of charm and make you excited about the next dungeon.

I do hope that you'll be able to feel that charm and excitement, but what I really want is for you to be able to focus on and appreciate the harmony of the whole by giving you the complete picture. The music and graphics, the settings and themes, and the characters and story all fuse together really beautifully in these games. They have an old-school heart but were the product of some very big dreaming, and stylistically, they are Falcom all the way.

You can definitely look forward to that.

===========================

In other news, I've been measuring the timings of each spoken line in Xanadu I and recording the results so that I can edit the script and get performances that fit nicely into the original spaces. I'm about 40% finished. For Xanadu II, this process is already done.

Back to work!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:37:34 PM by SamIAm »

shawnji

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 06:04:31 AM »
I have to commend you Sam.  I know how heavy these games are on text, so I'm sure it was a lot of work getting everything done.  I know you were working with Nightwolve and Dave Shadoff to get Emerald Dragon finished too, so hats off for putting in so much of your personal time so that people can play these in English. 

I like Xanadu I a lot, but the constant running back and forth for dialogue and exposition before getting to the part of the game I really liked (the dungeons, of course) made it hard for me to complete.  I think part of that was that it took me longer to read everything the first time I played through back in 2010 or so, as that was back when my reading ability was a bit weaker.  I'd be willing to bet this will be a lot more pleasant the second time around in English.

SamIAm

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »
Update:

Script dumping and formatting for Xanadu I has been more-or-less finalized, and translation of the text has started.

I have completed measuring all speech timings for the dub script, but I have not finished editing it accordingly. Editing properly requires test-recording each line to make sure it's not too long or too short, and that's a little harder to set aside time for. I hope to do this within another week or so.

Xanadu II text is inserting without breaking anything, according to elmer. However, getting a single-byte, 8x12 font working is a large task that remains.

We may have some neat things to share someday soon. :D

SamIAm

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 07:58:23 PM »
I am beginning to get a feel for how long it's going to take to translate Xanadu I. The prologue strikes me as having a little more text than the average chapter, of which there are 12 in total. Assuming that's true, I expect it to take around 80-100 hours to work up a full first draft.

This is a really fun game to work on, though. The locations are all so unique and developed. In the prologue chapter, for example, there are two villages on an island that each make their own wines, and they're rivals. A drama unfolds involving the two mayors and two lead winemakers of both towns as well as the aristocrats who have come to vacation in a private, out of the way mansion. There's a cave with an ancient monster in the mix, too.

The next chapter is totally different. It happens in a port town run by a corrupt businessman who over-taxes a nearby community of old farmers. A thief, who eventually joins your party, plays a Robin-Hood role between them. After many events, you get a ship to sail around a mountain range to a town that's been destroyed by monsters, where important discoveries are made.

Each of the 12 chapters is unique like this. Every one has a set-up entirely its own, full of characters with developed and important identities. I think people will enjoy experiencing this in English.

I put in a couple hours today. I'll try to post every time I make progress!