Author Topic: Xanadu I and II - General Translation Project(s) Thread  (Read 11384 times)

pixeljunkie

Re: Xanadu I and II - General Translation Project(s) Thread
« Reply #375 on: March 15, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »
Wow, where did the last month go!  :shock:

Time for a quick update ...

SamIAm and I are pretty-much-ready to get started on the dub ... we're just waiting for the web pages to be finished.

Hopefully soon!

this excites me beyond words

seieienbu

« Reply #376 on: March 15, 2017, 08:48:54 AM »
I'm looking forward to submitting my audition.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NightWolve

« Reply #377 on: March 27, 2017, 06:07:36 AM »
Falcom going on a nostalgia trip reminding their Twitter followers of Xanadu. They call this "Nostalgia Illustration #23." :)

https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/846260726649929728

elmer

« Reply #378 on: March 27, 2017, 06:34:12 AM »
Falcom going on a nostalgia trip reminding their Twitter followers of Xanadu. They call this "Nostalgia Illustration #23." :)

So beautiful! Thanks for finding that.  :D  :dance:

Do you consider releasing as it and giving just some translation sheets for the dubbing part ?

Nope.

AFAIK we're still planning on releasing an undubbed-version with scripts for those crazy folks that hate the idea of a dub, but the point is to do this as faithfully as possible, and that means telling the story with voice-acting, just as it would have been done if the game got a real US release.

We definitely don't want to release a half-completed translation just because some people are impatient. Too much time and work has gone into this for that.

It shouldn't be too long ... the web-pages made great progress this weekend.  :D

destructive cactus

« Reply #379 on: March 27, 2017, 07:51:42 AM »
This is so exciting! Great work so far.

Again, feel free to hit me up for audio stuff if it ends up being needed (I know I'm not active in the forums but I'd be glad to submit an example mix or something)! Aside from that, I look forward to auditioning for the dub.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #380 on: March 27, 2017, 09:34:56 AM »
I have zero interest in a dub, however I'm not so dumb as to not know how to leave the OG tracks in. :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #381 on: March 27, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »
I have zero interest in a dub, however I'm not so dumb as to not know how to leave the OG tracks in. :)

That's not going to work for all the ADPCM stuff.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

pnauts

« Reply #382 on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:56 AM »
We definitely don't want to release a half-completed translation just because some people are impatient. Too much time and work has gone into this for that.

It shouldn't be too long ... the web-pages made great progress this weekend.  :D

it's not about impatience, just personally I prefer the Japanese acting when it's related to voices.
the top would be to release a dubbed and no dubbed version as you mentioned it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:32:00 AM by pnauts »

elmer

« Reply #383 on: March 27, 2017, 12:34:19 PM »
That's not going to work for all the ADPCM stuff.

Yep, most of the cutscenes in LoX1 are ADPCM.

it's not about impatience, just personally I prefer the Japanese acting when it's related to voices.

Sure, we know some people feel that way, even though it's going to really suck to watch a cutscene in Japanese, and then break-concentration to read the English script in order to understand what was said.

If we could possibly have implemented subtitles, then we'd have done that for the folks that don't want to hear English voices ... but it's just not technically possible for us.

For the (hopefully few) folks that are just going to impatiently sit through the Japanese cutscenes and NOT read the English script ... well ... ... ... that's just plain sad.

Johnpv

« Reply #384 on: March 28, 2017, 03:02:32 AM »
Can I just say again I'm super excited for this!  I know I haven't been able to get on the board much in the last few months but hopefully auditions for the dub haven't happened yet.

seieienbu

« Reply #385 on: March 28, 2017, 04:19:29 PM »
I get excited every time I see the Xanadu threads with new posts.  Eagerly looking forward to auditioning for the dub.  I asked my girlfriend and she seems interested in trying out as well.

SamIAm

« Reply #386 on: March 28, 2017, 10:49:21 PM »
Thanks for staying with us through the delays. Elmer and I still PM each other about this almost every day and try to make progress wherever we can.

Mum's the word, but the actor-recruitment website is finally ready to go, and we've set a tentative launch date for April 7th.  :twisted:

EmperorIng

« Reply #387 on: March 29, 2017, 12:02:38 AM »
Here's to hoping you guys don't end up with Rina-chan voicing nearly every female voice in her "exactly the same for 10+ years" anime voice!  :pray:

seieienbu

« Reply #388 on: March 30, 2017, 08:10:48 PM »
Thanks for staying with us through the delays. Elmer and I still PM each other about this almost every day and try to make progress wherever we can.

Mum's the word, but the actor-recruitment website is finally ready to go, and we've set a tentative launch date for April 7th.  :twisted:

I'm happy that these threads have been updated as frequently as they have been.  I'm sure it helps keep interest and discussions like what specifically to name the game or what font to use have been entertaining to read. 

...that being said, nothing has been as exciting about this as a new aspect of the project finally rearing it's ugly head.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing that webpage.

Pokun

« Reply #389 on: April 02, 2017, 07:30:44 PM »

Yeah of course there is no way hobby voice-actors will be able to compare to the professional voice-actors of the original. Japan has a very nice climate for professional voice-acting (I think they are alone in the world to have dedicated voice-acting schools), unlike most other countries that would use normal theatre or movie actors to do the voices. And they are almost never able to compare with the original voice-actors (Snatcher for Mega CD is a notable exception).