Author Topic: (10/31/2015 - 11/6/2015) Game of the Week: Blazing Lazers  (Read 905 times)

grolt

Re: (10/31/2015 - 11/6/2015) Game of the Week: Blazing Lazers
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 03:23:56 AM »
Great pick, looking forward to really digging deep and finishing this one. In the meantime, has anyone watched the movie Gunhed on which the game is based? Just wondering if the movie is worth watching and how close it is to the movie (level design and if the bosses or other enemies factor into the film).
I'm a notorious strange man.

780racer

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 06:53:38 AM »
Gunhed the game and Gunhed the movie are related by name only, iirc.

That is correct.

I do love this game to death. I have been waiting on moving all of my stuff in the living room to make the misses happy, and had to order some cables before I could start playing my Turbo again.

I am more than a little excited to get home and fire up this game, because I literally can play this game for hours and other than swearing at it, enjoy every minute of it. I also normally show non-turbo guys this game if they like shumps because it is such a good one for the TG16 library.
Switchzx's amazing quote -
"I was starting with the hardest to get games first. I realized I was never going to get Magical Chase so gave up on it all, sold up and got out."

Blueraven's quote - "it begins."

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/695/show-collection.html

grolt

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 07:17:16 AM »
Gunhed the game and Gunhed the movie are related by name only, iirc.

I thought I read that the PCE version had some cut scenes and such that tied into the film?

Either way, it's just cool to me that such a kickass game is actually an obscure movie tie-in.

I gave BL a go last night just to test it out and ended up pretty hooked.  Got to the last boss rush level and ran out of continues and decided to give it a go this morning.  A couple hours and runs later I finally beat it, and can't really say enough good about it.  This is my first foray into Hudson shooters, and like what Hudson did with the Bonk games, it managed to take a pretty played out genre and give its game character and polish that sets it apart.  Little things, like the 3D-ish ship animation when you move left or right, really help give the game depth to go along with the great parallax.  I love the variety in the game - so many different enemies, so many different attack patterns and of course all the different weapons.  Collecting the purple orbs for powering up is a nice touch to keep you always on the hunt even when you're relatively powered up.

I find often in shooters you max out early and then just rely on that same gun throughout and it can become a little stale.  In this, you're always given options to change weapons and then orbs to change their attack spread, and in the later levels there's some strategy as to what weapons to take.  I agree that II is the one to use for most of it, but III is essential for Area 8 and it's a stronger weapon at lower power so it comes in very handy during the last level when you're losing lives and just trying to hang on.  The additional power ups are cool but my only complaint is that the shield one is so essential the others don't really get much time, and there's nothing worse on the later levels than accidentally collecting an F or H powerup when you've got a full shield and a good weapon and then one hit and you're toast!

I liked the difficulty curve in this game - the first two levels are a breeze and then it gets a little harder but it's always pretty manageable until they throw everything at you at the end, and even then you can work through it with enough lives and bombs.  I actually found the 5th level to be one of the most challenging, honestly; it becomes pretty bullet hell-y at a few parts.  Other than the usual shmup trope of accidentally grabbing a shitty powerup to mess up your mojo, my only complaint is that the game can be very difficult in a few early spots in a level and then overly easy for most of the bosses.  If you die on Area 8 early, starting from scratch with nothing and racing to get that shield on the side of the level is one of the most difficult tasks in the game and pretty much essential if you want to survive long enough to get a weapon decent enough to take out all the bubbles.  Then, once you're powered with at least a second level III, 8 becomes a cakewalk.  Then in the last level, the bosses are all pretty easy, it's just all the other crap in between them that can lead you to turmoil.

Anyway, awesome game and I'm thankful for the GOTW for finally getting me to sit down and play my incredibly tanned HuCard of the game.  I only ever had a passing interest in shooters before I got into TG-16, but after this, Lords, Galaga, R-Type and, yep, Deep Blue, I'm officially a shootaholic.  Looking forward to trying out my copy Super Star Soldier next, and afraid at the prices I'll pay to obtain Soldier Blade in the near future.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 07:27:07 AM »
Well I made it to level 9 for the first time last night, I assume it is the last level by the boss rush nature of it.

Unlike in past years, after dying in a few levels (level 5 always gave me issues, the bubble level gave me issues last night) I was actually able to power back up and make it through. I was damn proud of myself.

But once I died on level 9 and had to restart powerless.....man. Those 12 extra guys I had accumulated went fast. Eventually I just gave up without even continuing.

elmer

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 07:52:45 AM »
In the meantime, has anyone watched the movie Gunhed on which the game is based? Just wondering if the movie is worth watching and how close it is to the movie (level design and if the bosses or other enemies factor into the film).

I bought the movie on VHS many years ago, but didn't particularly like it.

In a moment of stupidity, I send it away to VHS-heaven a few years ago.

I think that I've still got the manga version somewhere, because it was much better.

IIRC, the PC Engine GunHed game really seems to have very little to do with the original movie.

Phase

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 10:44:26 AM »
The additional power ups are cool but my only complaint is that the shield one is so essential the others don't really get much time, and there's nothing worse on the later levels than accidentally collecting an F or H powerup when you've got a full shield and a good weapon and then one hit and you're toast!
I remember using the S a lot at first, once you get to a certain skill level with the game the S power up is the one you will kick yourself for accidentally collecting. Then when you try the last two difficulty modes the S power up becomes your best friend again. Its so dramatic.
Also you should be ably to take a side hit with you side shields before your toast.
Try beating the game again using different weapons, after you beat the game about five times it should start to seem easy. :wink:

Gentlegamer

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »
I think I spam II and Shield as my favorite combo.

I'm really behind on the Game of the Week but I want to dig in and finally beat Blazing Lazers soon. 1CC, of course.

Enternal

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »
I played this for the better part of last week until my Castlevania III Halloween marathon. A lot more difficult than I was expecting.  It's also one of the cheaper Compile shooters. I found the case for this game back in 2010 at a Salvation Army in the music section.

Gredler

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
Level 9. How do you beat it?? I do alright to that point, a couple times I've gotten there without dieing. But that boss rush always hits the fan for me.

escarioth

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 02:06:28 AM »
Blazing lazers (gunhed)  :)

amoung the first games i played when my friend got his TG16 back then.
right after the first stage i was definetly hook on the game. Trying to finish it can also take
quite some time with its diverses 9 aeras. Even today i think the dificulty is good since it start off with relatively easy dificulty... but as you progress, the game gets much more harder.

some area boss might surprise you as well, I still remember my firend's little sisters screaming as they ran off the room when they saw that flying head boss on area 8. with eyes and brain popping out.

Boss fights are very good and fun to do. You always want to reach them to see what's coming at you. Last area is not so easy, since many boss are coming back for a second bite at you, so be prepared :)

you never played that game ? what are you waiting for :D anyone with a TG16 should have this game to go along with.
US Hucards     :  83/94
US CD-games  : 40/44
total complete with boxes 54/111

Gredler

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 03:01:02 AM »
But seriously, that level 9 though.

lukester

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 03:32:33 AM »
Level 9. How do you beat it?? I do alright to that point, a couple times I've gotten there without dieing. But that boss rush always hits the fan for me.

The Pickle Boss and the Tank are the hardest. The final boss is easy fortunately. Don't forget you have 3 bombs each time you respawn.

Do you have enough respawns? I get most of mine in the 1st level, and spend the rest of the game building up shields.

Gredler

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 05:50:25 AM »

The Pickle Boss and the Tank are the hardest. The final boss is easy fortunately. Don't forget you have 3 bombs each time you respawn.

Do you have enough respawns? I get most of mine in the 1st level, and spend the rest of the game building up shields.

Yeah that danm pickle had my number for a while, I got in the habit of attacking his swirly missles more than him, and baiting up him left, dodging right, then blasting up at him - and he is who I dump my bombs on - lol.

The tank is hard but the pattern is so predictable and dodge-able I feel like he is a test of patience more than anything.

My achilles heel is the wave of enemies after the tank. The slow dudes that fly down to the bottom corners of the screen, and other slightly faster guys fly down to the sides and then inward, as dudes accumulate at the center top and shoot devastating laser beams.  I think I always show up at that point with no shield and weak weapons, or I just plain suck, but once I get past the tank boss I can't get past the wave of enemies before the final boss.

I wont have time to try again anytime soon, other obligations coming up and I've already put more time into this than any other GoTW game (except for maybe TV Sports Hockey.) Blazing Lasers has defeated me, this day, but holy crap was it an enjoyable demise.

grolt

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 06:54:01 AM »

Yeah that danm pickle had my number for a while, I got in the habit of attacking his swirly missles more than him, and baiting up him left, dodging right, then blasting up at him - and he is who I dump my bombs on - lol.

The tank is hard but the pattern is so predictable and dodge-able I feel like he is a test of patience more than anything.

My achilles heel is the wave of enemies after the tank. The slow dudes that fly down to the bottom corners of the screen, and other slightly faster guys fly down to the sides and then inward, as dudes accumulate at the center top and shoot devastating laser beams.  I think I always show up at that point with no shield and weak weapons, or I just plain suck, but once I get past the tank boss I can't get past the wave of enemies before the final boss.

I wont have time to try again anytime soon, other obligations coming up and I've already put more time into this than any other GoTW game (except for maybe TV Sports Hockey.) Blazing Lasers has defeated me, this day, but holy crap was it an enjoyable demise.

Yeah, that wave of enemies was toughest for me as well.  I ended up losing two lives there, and I just tried to retreat to the top of the screen each time to bypass as many as I could, since in this game enemies usually only go downward rather than up.