Author Topic: New Adventure Island/Takahashi Meijin no Shin Bōken Jima High Scores  (Read 3130 times)

esteban

Re: New Adventure Island/Takahashi Meijin no Shin Bōken Jima High Scores
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 01:49:35 PM »
Pink vs. Orange Flowers.

I don't think I ever noticed this before.
  |    | 

gheebee

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 05:50:07 PM »
Nice find, glad to finally know for sure about the flowers!

lukester

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »
Forgot a pic, but I got 383,000!

Died about 5 times

gheebee

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 06:53:06 PM »
Forgot a pic, but I got 383,000!

Died about 5 times

Nice, I updated the first post. A few weeks ago I made several attempts at hitting 400000 and really took my time trying to be sure to kill every thing possible and I think I somehow managed to finish with only around 370000.

gheebee

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »
Gave it another try and once again tried to rack up as many points as possible but only wound up with 368600. I think that there is a score multiplier that you get if you stay alive long enough because it always seems like I accumulate points a lot slower after the first time I die and the only time I ever got 390000+ points was one of the times I had a perfect game. Someday I'll hit 400000...

crazydean

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 12:45:34 PM »
Do you use the fireball to destroy rocks and stuff?
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

gheebee

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2016, 04:05:29 PM »
Do you use the fireball to destroy rocks and stuff?

I tend to avoid the fireballs because I find them awkward to use, but I do destroy a good number of rocks and boulders when I have the boomerang. I see your point since there would be more opportunities for points if I always used fireballs but I don't think I did this that time I came close to 400000. Still though, I'll have practice with the fireballs the next time I play!

gheebee

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 01:34:08 PM »
416600!!! Finally broke 400000! :D

Thanks for suggesting the fireballs, crazydean!

crazydean

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 02:00:02 PM »
Amazing! Nice to see that goal reached.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

lukester

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 02:38:28 PM »
Gheebee, how many more points could you score while using as many lives as possible? It's not like lives are tallied up at the end.

i.e. dying at the end, and restarting on the high point value levels/checkpoints.

gheebee

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 04:09:55 PM »
Gheebee, how many more points could you score while using as many lives as possible? It's not like lives are tallied up at the end.

i.e. dying at the end, and restarting on the high point value levels/checkpoints.

I've thought about that quite a bit but never tried it, even though I've played so many times part of the fun for me is trying to do it all with 1 life or, in most cases, as few as possible. Usually when I play I reset the game after I die (love that select+run reset!) unless I just want to complete it and be done or feel like I'm on track for a high score when I die that first time. Still though, it seems like something that might be worth mastering if I ever try for 500000! Hell, it might be a good challenge just figuring it out seeing as how some secrets can only be had once and carryover items from previous levels often make a difference with what you can get and how many points you can score.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:11:47 PM by gheebee »

esteban

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 11:46:46 PM »

I've thought about that quite a bit but never tried it, even though I've played so many times part of the fun for me is trying to do it all with 1 life or, in most cases, as few as possible. Usually when I play I reset the game after I die (love that select+run reset!) unless I just want to complete it and be done or feel like I'm on track for a high score when I die that first time. Still though, it seems like something that might be worth mastering if I ever try for 500000! Hell, it might be a good challenge just figuring it out seeing as how some secrets can only be had once and carryover items from previous levels often make a difference with what you can get and how many points you can score.

Agreed: the most-satisfying way to achieve a high score is with one-life (less opportunities to scam points).

Now, folks can still milk stuff in a 1CC (especially for games where there are respawining enemies and lots of extra time), but thankfully the lifebar in NAI keeps things relatively fair.

I don't begrudge the person who creatively milks a high score (exploiting extra lives), but it is qualitatively different category of "high score".

:)
  |    |