Author Topic: I think I killed my DUO-RX when RGB modding  (Read 1192 times)

NightWolve

Re: I think I killed my DUO-RX when RGB modding
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »
I guess i just found it a little offensive that you called eveyone besides thesteve a hack.  I have proffessional training in the EE field (an assosiates degree) that qualifies me as an electronics technician and I assume that some of the other modders on here do also, although i do not know this for a fact.  I dont offer repair services though and never will.  TBH I work in the semiconductor industry and dont really use circuit level troubleshooting on a day to day basis so i have lost a lot of that knowlegde.

I do agree that sending something complicated to thesteve is your best bet though.

My point about the engineer thing was that normally how it works is that engineers design things and technicians repair then.

Well, that's why I added the polite qualifier to it. I didn't have a more polite term to think of, but the point stands. A % of them don't have pro EE credentials and you need to be aware of their background. And that is why I don't promote them, not at the top of the list anyway. I tell people who the best of the best here is, which is what I would want to know if I was in need of repairing my system, and that is Steve.

Now, the other modders are free to promote themselves and make their qualifications known themselves. They do.

Since you don't offer repair services, there's nothing really directed at you. You just think the others who do have pro EE training ? And you wanna positively generalize the majority of them as having that training and ignore that you got a % of fans who just learned as they go ?

I provide the info as I would want it. A % of modders/repairers learned soldering skills outside of their normal day jobs and are good for cap replacement, pot tuning, and some times CD laser replacement. But if a cap replacement job doesn't restore a unit to working order and you have chip/IC damage, they're no good to you, and that unit is gonna have to go thru another round of shipping to a real EE. More shipping around equals more potential damage as well.

So, I'm not gonna positively generalize modders/repairers as having EE training out of some sense of niceness or politeness and what not. That is something the public needs to be aware of when looking for someone to fix their console one way or another. Check if they are or not!

As far as PCEFX, when people come here and need repairs done, who I'm gonna promote at the top of the list is Steve. If his plate is full however, I'm gonna tell ya to try turbokon, 2nd place. If both of them are backed up, I'll cautiously tell ya to try Keith Courage. But, as I said, if it was a serious IC/chip issue, something that requires electronics debugging, etc. it's gonna make its way around to Steve and I'm not aware of any other repairer that has that standing in our forum, the goto guy when nobody can fix it, which is him.

If you know of somebody else with such credentials, feel free to promote them. But don't just assume the others have professional electronics training when they don't. It is something to check first.

BlueBMW

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 04:34:59 PM »
My credentials as a "modder" / repairer:

None :D

I worked as an auto mechanic for a good 9 years and I'm a mechanical engineering student now but I have really had no formal training in electronics.  I learned a lot of the more advanced stuff from ol Steve himself.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:17:28 AM by BlueBMW »
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 04:38:32 PM »
well i havent see the damage yet, and have no way of knowing if you damaged any chips

mickcris

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 04:39:35 PM »
you are right.  i do not know if anyone has any credentials.  i was just assuming that since if i did not have some degree of training, that i would not be doing some of the things that i do.  although you are correct that there are others that probably just learned as they go, which there is nothing wrong with that either.

and sorry about derailing the thread.  i think im done making off topic comments. :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:59:11 PM by mickcris »

SegaSonic91

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 06:13:55 PM »
I know one thing for sure, if I was in the US, I would have sent the RX to mickcris to install for me :)  The IFU/expansion port jobs are simple, but I was always worried about that damn C6260 chip.

Ok, brace yourselves, here is a picture of the chip.  Looks worse than I thought it was :cry:

http://s19.postimg.org/d158ol5sz/image.jpg

thesteve

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 06:37:29 PM »
lucky you, looks like only 4 traces need repaired
the others were not used

mickcris

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 06:51:34 PM »
It does look a bit worse than your last pic. Luckily none of the legs are broken off. I would see how much it would cost to send to thesteve if he will take it. Unless you can find someone good in Australia. Not sure if you tried to look up emu_kidid (spelled the name wrong before) yet to see if he'd look at it. Not really sure though I he does that kind of thing. Just know he's going to be installing the ultra HDMI kits there soon.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:56:16 PM by mickcris »

thesteve

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 07:02:53 PM »
you only need to look at 46 62 63 64

SegaSonic91

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 07:19:19 PM »
Damn it!  I carefully lifted the legs from 51 onwards to try and straighten them so they could be aligned properly and soldered back in place.  I was fixing the last leg, and the bastard broke off.  It was either 51 or 52.  If it was 51, i guess it is screwed for RGB!

SegaSonic91

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 07:20:53 PM »
It does look a bit worse than your last pic. Luckily none of the legs are broken off. I would see how much it would cost to send to thesteve if he will take it. Unless you can find someone good in Australia. Not sure if you tried to look up emu_kidid (spelled the name wrong before) yet to see if he'd look at it. Not really sure though I he does that kind of thing. Just know he's going to be installing the ultra HDMI kits there soon.

I wish so much that it still looked like my first picture :cry:

NightWolve

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 07:36:54 PM »
Ok, brace yourselves, here is a picture of the chip.  Looks worse than I thought it was :cry:
https://s19.postimg.cc/d158ol5sz/image.jpg
Damn it!  I carefully lifted the legs from 51 onwards to try and straighten them so they could be aligned properly and soldered back in place.  I was fixing the last leg, and the bastard broke off.  It was either 51 or 52.  If it was 51, i guess it is screwed for RGB!

Ouch... RIP. :/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:00:46 PM by NightWolve »

mickcris

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 07:38:50 PM »
that sucks.  if you are really careful, you can dremel off part of the top of the chip to expose enough of the leg to solder too.  only try this though as a last resort.  i have done it before and had both sucess and failure.

you can also see about getting someone to replace the ic.

SegaSonic91

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 08:22:59 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not, but with replacing the IC, does it have to be a HuChip or just an 80 pin IC of such-and-such type?  I may ask one of the places I know that f that mods and repairs modern systems about replacing the chip if it does not have to be a HuChip.  I can't imagine that there are a bunch of systems out there being striped of their chips to fix others, or so I hope.

mickcris

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 09:03:20 PM »
it does need to be the same.  i think you can get one from a normal pc engine though IIRC so that would be cheaper.  some systems have an A after the 6260 but i think they should be interchangeable.  thesteve would know for sure.

SegaSonic91

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 11:53:44 PM »
Thanks mickcris.  I do have a Core Grafx and Core Grafx II, one of which I would be willing to sacrifice.  I'll ask Steve and find out how much he will charge to swap the chip and if it works out too much with postage, I'll look closer to home.