Author Topic: (1/17/2016 - 1/23/2016) Game of the Week: Super Dimension Fortress Macross 2036  (Read 1202 times)

SignOfZeta

The cut scenes may "hold it back" for some but they were the major selling point of this game when it was released.

EmperorIng

Wasn't it conceived as some semi-official sequel to the SDF Macross anime anyhow? In the same vein as Southern Cross and whatnot?

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
I'd say Macross 2036 belongs to the Macross universe, while the TV series Superdimension Cavalry Southern Cross, Superdimension Century Orguss and Superdimension Fortress Macross itself were released under the "superdimension" banner without having been connected storyline-wise in Japan.
However they all feature transformable fighters and similar themes about space exploration and contact with alien life forms, just as Genesis Climber Mospeada did.

However, regarding Orguss keep in mind I haven't watched this one TV series yet.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:48:59 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

BigusSchmuck

However, regarding Orguss keep in mind I haven't watched this one TV series yet.

Its better than Southern Cross and they only transform into two different modes. Been some years since I have watched it though.

SignOfZeta

Wasn't it conceived as some semi-official sequel to the SDF Macross anime anyhow? In the same vein as Southern Cross and whatnot?

Back when this game came out there were very few Macross things out there. Just the (then decade old) TV show, the movie, and Flashback. Seeing new VFs and new Hal character designs with music from the movie made this as official as anything could be at the time. However,  considering when it came out, I would assume this timeline has been retconned out of cannon, much like Macross II. I can't say for sure since I don't recall hearing anyone talk about it specifically, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

BigusSchmuck

Back when this game came out there were very few Macross things out there. Just the (then decade old) TV show, the movie, and Flashback. Seeing new VFs and new Hal character designs with music from the movie made this as official as anything could be at the time. However,  considering when it came out, I would assume this timeline has been retconned out of cannon, much like Macross II. I can't say for sure since I don't recall hearing anyone talk about it specifically, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Macross canon is pretty crazy. This thread sums it up nicely:
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/?showtopic=37648

EmperorIng

So playing this game for the GotW convinced me to pick up the game to try it in the comfort of my own Duo.

My second time playing it, I 1CC'd the game. What an easy game! It showers you with lives (courtesy those cute Minmay icons), and the game is a pretty smooth ride, even up until the final boss.

Does anyone know how to activate that second menu, with the "Unrivaled" / Player options? And what the unrivaled option even does?

There's a lot of things to like: the Area 88/UN Squadron "shop" to select weapons - though since you don't "spend" any points to buy weapons it's made even easier to get the good stuff. Great boss designs, even if most of them were pushovers. The enemy design is pretty lame though. Circles, triangles, and the occasional battlepod. I see this game compared to Thunder Force in some reviews; well Technosoft had much better stage enemies, for sure.

My favorite levels have to be the huge armada fight, and the interior of the giant warship. The former for its grand scope, and the latter for a stage that finally had some interesting terrain as opposed to the flat levels that typify the game. It was both neat and a little disappointing to learn that you could safely touch the walls and floors in the game (contrary to most shooters). It took the sting out of trying to navigate the narrow corridors of the ship. Boss fights seemed to be designed to cheese your way through with the VF health-bar - your ship is now so huge that it's significantly harder to dodge. The last boss really drove this home with the annoying, erratically-moving snake attack.

I'll have to see what Hard and Very Hard offer - in my heart of hearts I'm hoping for more enemies and more aggression, instead of the lazy "up the boss health" stuff. For what it's worth now, it was an enjoyable easy ride through what is (going by Zeta's post) essentially high-quality Macross fanfiction.

PunkicCyborg

Everyone says it's so easy but I haven't been able to pull it off. Guess I need to find out where those lives are. Some of the weapons that you can get are awesome and some are terrible and that throws me off.
I just picked up Scrambled Valkyrie for SFC last week which is supposed to be pretty good too but was hoping to clear this first. The arcade game by NMK is also worth checking out
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

EmperorIng

Scrambled Valkryie is very good. Better and more difficult than Macross 2036 (which I like quite a bit), and with a much nicer "transforming" gimmick.

Since there are so few enemies on Normal, i naturally spent a lot of time moving up and down, looking for the hidden icons/invincibility buffs.

I still need to check out the arcade games.