Author Topic: PCE Duo - Stuck on "Just a Moment", disc won't spin  (Read 86 times)

nd3738

PCE Duo - Stuck on "Just a Moment", disc won't spin
« on: July 15, 2024, 09:51:02 PM »
Hey all, new PCE owner here (and first time poster)

Recently bought an as-is PCE Duo from Japan, and have been attempting to fix and refurb it. Originally didn't work at all, but after replacement of all caps and the two SRAM chips (IC512), it now functions perfectly playing HUcards (no issues with video, audio, inputs. etc.). The only issue now is the disc drive -  I cannot get it to spin up and attempt to read a disc. Without a HuCard in the system, and a music disc in the drive with the lid closed, I can hit Run on the BIOS menu, but then it just gets stuck saying "Just a Moment...". No error message, no close tray warning, nothing. The disc does not spin, and the sled does not move at all - pressing the lid close switch or the stop switch for the sled have zero effect. Can't even get to the audio player - it just hangs. Here are a few things I've already tested:

- Both the spindle motor and sled motor seem to be fine - applying 9V makes them spin with no issues.
- The lid switch seems to be fine, based on continuity checks with multimeter
- I've lubricated and greased the drive, so don't think that's an issue.
- Reflowed most of the components in the bottom right corner of the board, and checked polarity of replaced caps.
- Reseated connections for the drive, and checked power voltages for the motors.

So, I'm kinda stumped at this point. Not an electronics expert by any means, but thinking it could be an IC problem? Tried reading the schematics (that's what led to the SRAM replacement), but at a loss for the CD portion of the board. Seems that some sort of signal is not being passed to clear the lid door check to then start the sled? Spitballing here.

Would appreciate any sort of advice or input on this issue, thank you very much in advance!

Keith Courage

Re: PCE Duo - Stuck on "Just a Moment", disc won't spin
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 09:24:06 PM »
I've been able to repair this a few times by replacing one of the larger BA6290A chips just below the CD drive. Luckily these can be found fairly cheap online.

nd3738

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 07:48:04 PM »
Thanks for the quick response! I'll order a couple and give it a try. Will update this thread with results. Much appreciated.

nd3738

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 07:33:58 PM »
Disappointing news... replacing both BA6290A chips with new parts had zero effect - same symptoms of getting stuck at the just a moment screen. Any other thoughts for troubleshooting? Appreciate any advice.

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 07:03:56 AM »
Bad trace, via connection, or possible faulty chip. Check the traces and vias to the Bios chip. That's what I would check next anyways.

Also, look for any via connection damage near the CD loading light. The two 47UF capacitors there usually leak really bad and can short out connections even after the old fluid has been cleaned.

The symptom you have is one of the hardest issues to solve and I have given up on a few DUOs myself with this issue to use them for parts instead.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 07:12:28 AM by Keith Courage »

nd3738

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 09:20:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Real shame that it's so hard to diagnose. I've tried checking traces and connections in the areas you specified, but no dice. Any recommendations for repair services I can send it off to that may be more knowledgeable than myself when troubleshooting? Hate to give up on this unit...

Keith Courage

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2024, 09:45:57 PM »
The only guy I could recommend retired from doing game repair work 4 years ago. He went by Thesteve here in the forums.

I just spoke with a few other repair guys and they said that it's usually a bad IC or trace in the CD section of the board. That doesn't really pin point things does it. So somewhere around the 3 chips located below the CD drive. I would guess the one cirlced in red as I've changed out that chip a few times to repair the issue you are having. The problem is trying to source one. I would check the via connections for that chip to see if they are all good.

This is probabaly why this isn't something that gets fixed too often. If it's a bad chip, a replacement cannot be found easily as these chips can only be sourced from other DUO systems. So one would have to buy another expensive broken system in order to repair another expensive broken system.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 11:06:20 PM by Keith Courage »