Author Topic: R-TYPE 1 - hard mode  (Read 271 times)

cheezio

R-TYPE 1 - hard mode
« on: September 03, 2006, 01:30:27 AM »
I just finished R-Type 1 (Jap hucard), and found out theres a HARD mode.

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but I had no idea. I finished the 4 levels on 1 life (no deaths), then after the ship lands in the mothership, I got the code as per usual, but then pressed RUN. (if you lose a credit you don't seem to get this option to press RUN).

I then started on level 1 with the two orbs (no force) and homing missiles. And the game got much harder, for example:

End of level 1 boss fired bullets from his tail.
Tentacle brains on level 2 take tonnes of bullets to kill.
The flying green sperms on level two seem to have been breeding, there are loads of them.
The front gun/rocket on level 3's ship is damn hard to kill.
The turrets at the back of the ship regenerate (like Amiga version).
The mine layers on level 4 pump out lots of bullets.

Arg - and YAY all at once! :)

One grumble - it's a shame when you put your code into R-type 2 that you don't launch from the mothership again.

Also - I haven't been able to clock rtype1 through twice yet (on 1 life) - wonder if theres a super hard mode?

Keranu

R-TYPE 1 - hard mode
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 09:44:04 AM »
Pretty neat, thanks for posting the difficutly differences
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Vanquish

R-TYPE 1 - hard mode
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 01:13:19 PM »
i have never been able to beat that 4th stage boss... and even with more than 1 life :P

congratulations, i will keep trying :) you have given me reason to live, jehehehehe

Tatsujin

R-TYPE 1 - hard mode
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 02:13:35 PM »
the stages 1~4 are pretty easy thought. the real hell begins in stage 6 and increments its difficulty by every pixel passed :P
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

R-TYPE 1 - hard mode
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 04:02:08 PM »
I always reset or turn off R-Type games when I die for the first time.  I hate having to power my ship back up from its pathetic default mode.  One of my gaming pet peeves.  Why would Earth or whoever build a ship with such crappy default abilities to take on something like the Bydo Empire?

The first 4 levels are the best.  The last 4 seem like they are from a different game.  They are missing the great design and coolness factor that are in the first 4 levels.  That bonus stage in the SMS version had some of that coolness (and great music).  Stage 5 is almost good but not quite.

I assume R-Type is split up in Japan because they know that people only wanted to play the first four levels.

Tatsujin

R-TYPE 1 - hard mode
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 04:42:01 PM »
they split it up because the limitation of the hucard storage at that time, so they say :P

i have to agree with you about the pathetic arm istallation of R-9, but its the rule of almost every shmup back in those days until presence :lol:
further, why they din't build the entire ship out from the same material as the undestoyable drones are made off?? questions about questions, we may never will get an answer for :wink:
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Vanquish

R-TYPE 1 - hard mode
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 05:20:33 AM »
Quote from: "Tatsujin"
further, why they din't build the entire ship out from the same material as the undestoyable drones are made off?? questions about questions, we may never will get an answer for :wink:

You ask, I answer: because they ran out of it

:lol:
Oh man, I am sooooo wise  :lol:

About the difficulty until the sixth level... hey ! give me a rest! i've got to study!! hehehe Today it is enougth for me to see the 4th boss :P
That game is hard as hell. Super R-Type was waaaaay easier

cheezio

R-TYPE 1 - hard mode
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 08:19:26 AM »
r-type final (ps2) was a bit of a let-down. most of the levels were poorly designed - no where near as tight as the original.

I dont mind the last 4 levels of r-type. 5 is cool - giant snakes. 6 is bonkers (lack of level boss is a shame  - although doesnt the pc engine version have one?). 7 is like a decaying volatile version of level 1. Level 8 is all twitch gameplay, hard.

R-type 2 (arcade) had terrible later levels. 1-3 were great, 4 was a bit iffy - 5  and 6 were appalling (level 5 end boss was stupidly hard).

I got the MSX version a few years back - really surprisingly good, kinda similar to the Master system one. (and it came in a HUGE box) :)

esteban

R-TYPE 1 - hard mode
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 12:25:55 PM »
Thanks to the original post I will now feel inadequate even if I somehow manage to beat the fourth stage without dying. Thanks! :)

Seriously, though, thanks for listing all of the differences you encountered in the second loop.
  |    | 

cheezio

R-TYPE 1 - hard mode
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 11:38:46 AM »
I`m glad I found out too - was just by luck I discovered it. I wonder if something similar happens with R-type Complete CD?

BTW - the hard mode may be unlockable if you finish level 4 on 1 credit. I know for sure that doing it on 1 life works, and doing it on 2 credits definately doesn't. But as for dying once or twice on the first credit? - dunno, give it a try.

Tatsujin

R-TYPE 1 - hard mode
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 02:46:30 PM »
yes, anyway thanks for that descovery, even i probably never will try to play r-type in a more difficult mode :wink:
www.pcedaisakusen.net