Author Topic: PC Engine trouble  (Read 362 times)

nothing0005

PC Engine trouble
« on: September 11, 2006, 03:44:58 AM »
Hi all,

I am wondering if anybody can help me with a problem I'm having with my new PC Engine. It's one of the old white models that only has an RF out. I've tried the thing with two different RF adapters and I get only static (though I do get game music) on channel 3. I realized I've never tried to use a Japanese system on a US TV with RF... is there something else I need to do here? Thanks a lot for any help. I've got a nice stack of cheapo PC Engine games waiting to be played.  :?

NeoFreak

PC Engine trouble
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 04:11:20 AM »
sometimes the RFs have a toggle switch for channel 3 or channel 4, do you have it mismatched? like your RF is set to channel 4, but your tv is on channel 3? The fact that you are hearing music makes me think its just some issue with your set up and not your system.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

akamichi

PC Engine trouble
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 11:03:47 PM »
PCE uses channel 1 and 2 on Japanese TVs which don't match up to 1 or 2 on US TVs (or even 3 or 4).  Basically, try setting the PCE to channel 1 and turning your TV to ch 99 or 98.  That might work.

Tatsujin

PC Engine trouble
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 11:28:44 PM »
oh, RF use out of japan may be a little problem^^"
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

nothing0005

PC Engine trouble
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 05:00:39 AM »
Okay this is really weird... after a little bit of further messing around, I have discovered that many of the channels on the TV play the game music, but only a few have an acceptable game picture. I found a tolerable picture on channel 78 or something like that. Weird. It's good enough to play. Next time I guess I'll buy AV.  :?

thewestexit

PC Engine trouble
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 09:13:09 AM »
Yeah, you're gonna have problems trying to use Japanese RF on a US TV... I remember trying this one time when I got a Shuttle Grafx with an RF switch and realized that I couldn't get a picture out of it... fortunately that system could use AV as well.
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth
////////////////////////////////////////////////