Author Topic: $200 Magical Chase on eBay - what a deal lol  (Read 2389 times)

ginoscope

Re: $200 Magical Chase on eBay - what a deal lol
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 06:24:43 AM »
Yeah even though the seller offered it low he could have just as easily sold it from where he got it at the same cost.  He must have known that the cost would have ended really high.  The buyers are morons for not knowing what they are buying.  It's sad but it's the state of the hobby at this time.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 06:34:47 AM »
Pointing out the seller's honesty is hardly justifying his actions, but whatever.  I'm well known for approving of sellers taking advantage of naive buyers.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

sirhcman

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 06:36:44 AM »
Therein lies the key problem with this hobby now.  You really can't sell anything cheap anymore.  If you offer something at a good price there's a good chance someone will flip it.  Too many greedy vultures these days.  It's not a hobby anymore, it's a business.  When I saw someone use the term "Professional Collector" on Facebook I knew the hobby was done.

maybe it is time to just stop offering them for sale..

Otaking

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 06:42:50 AM »
Answer, it's simple, on each repro print the price and web address on where it can be bought. problem solved.
Then after that, anyone that pays a premium price if it's resold on eBay or whatever is so dumb they deserve to lose money.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:51:03 AM by Otaking »

esteban

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 06:49:52 AM »
Sadly, this was bound to happen.

Opportunists and idiots are everywhere.

Selfish people suck. And money really does corrupt things faster than the "normal" rate of corruption (think of it as a multiplier). I wish it weren't true, but it does.
  |    | 

sirhcman

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 06:54:02 AM »
Answer, it's simple, on each repro print the price and web address on where it can be bought. problem solved.
Then after that, anyone that pays a premium price if it's resold on eBay or whatever is so dumb they deserve to lose money.

Sounds like a smart approach

Black Tiger

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 07:12:37 AM »

Except that flippers will never show that part in the photos.

Hopefully turbokon and co are looking through their transactions to see who it is from Milford, Ohio.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Otaking

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 07:24:14 AM »

Except that flippers will never show that part in the photos.

Hopefully turbokon and co are looking through their transactions to see who it is from Milford, Ohio.

If the flipper/seller purposefully doesn't show the original price info in the listing photos and then when the buyer recieves the item and sees the original price printed on the item they will be super pissed (I would asume) and at the very least leave neg feedback and open a eBay claim. I would of thought the thought of that would deter a lot of sellers planning to flip it for profit.

Plus you could put the price prominently on the front of the box, instructions and hucard.
design it so it still looks good and doesn't spoil the aesthetics, but the price is there plain to see.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:26:06 AM by Otaking »

Black Tiger

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 07:41:26 AM »
The box insert and instructions are homemade. I'm surprised that this guy bothered to include the box instead of a recycled HuCard case.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. You don't have any recourse for paying too much for something and people foolish enough to bid on one of these now without googling, isn't going to type out a url. The most it will do is increase sales both from people who make it to the turbokon site to buy more and for the flippers who are likely already asking to buy stacks of Magical Chase.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Otaking

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 08:06:08 AM »
I disagree, I think my suggestion is the solution to the problem.

Yes there is a very, very small percentage of people who just won't care if they've paid a huge mark up from a flipper. They deserve to be ripped off anyways.

But the vast, vast majority of people would be super pissed if they paid $220 and then looked at the hucard and realised the seller at flipped a readily available item that costs $45 new.

It should even say on the hucard "if you have paid more than $45 for this you have been ripped off, demand a refund and then come and buy one new from www.tg16pcemods.com"
I'm positive if it said that on the hucard flipping would be a very rare occurrence.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:16:00 AM by Otaking »

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 08:16:35 AM »
I agree with BT. Gougers would just Photoshop that out, and the victim has no recourse on eBay. The seller listed it below what it currently retails, so it's on the bidder if you bid a stupid ass amount without doing research.

As a seller, it's not my responsibility to inform you on what the current retail price of an item is, especially if I'm listing it at half that. If the buyer left negative feedback, you could have it reversed.

If the seller listed it as a BIN for $200, you would have more of a case, but still it's on the stupidity of the buyer.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 08:18:19 AM »
Someone archive the ebay page so I can refer to it when someone asks what 'collectard' means.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 08:20:59 AM »
.... people foolish enough to bid on one of these now without googling, isn't going to type out a url.

Agreed.  They'll assume it's out of print and bid big monies anyway.

Tobias's shit is a similar situation: "pce works" is prominently shown on the packaging and his site is the first result when googled, yet there's no shortage of morons paying twice what he charges for Dracula X. 
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

bob

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 08:24:48 AM »
Plus you could put the price prominently on the front of the box, instructions and hucard.
design it so it still looks good and doesn't spoil the aesthetics, but the price is there plain to see.

It should even say on the hucard "if you have paid more than $45 for this you have been ripped off, demand a refund and then come and buy one new from www.tg16pcemods.com"

Uh, yeah.  That could look great.   :roll: :roll: :roll:

Otaking

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
Had started typing a long answer but lost interest in this subject half way through typing and deleted it.
Last post in this thread.   8)