Author Topic: FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine  (Read 27132 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
« Reply #750 on: February 28, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

nodtveidt

« Reply #751 on: March 04, 2018, 02:33:08 AM »
So the last battery of tests came back clean. I fixed a couple more minor bugs and did a little more tweaking. The order is being placed tonight and the master will be sent tomorrow.

Desh

« Reply #752 on: March 04, 2018, 11:59:50 AM »
So the last battery of tests came back clean. I fixed a couple more minor bugs and did a little more tweaking. The order is being placed tonight and the master will be sent tomorrow.

I will admit, this news gets me fully erect.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #753 on: March 05, 2018, 06:11:20 AM »
Being bored at work I decide to poke around some of the sub forums I haven't looked in before.

I ordered this a while back and stupidly never thought to see if anyone here was associated with it. To stumble in here and find it is like, ready...if I'm not erect I'm at least semi.

nodtveidt

« Reply #754 on: March 05, 2018, 11:18:34 AM »
The master has been mailed, so now we sit on our thumbs and wait for the snail to do its thing.

nopepper

« Reply #755 on: March 05, 2018, 01:03:01 PM »
The master has been mailed, so now we sit on our thumbs and wait for the snail to do its thing.

:clap:

Congrats and thanks for all your efforts! Must feel great after all the trials and tribulations.

Looking forward to spin this in the ole Duo.

roflmao

« Reply #756 on: March 06, 2018, 05:44:04 AM »
Woot!

nodtveidt

« Reply #757 on: March 09, 2018, 12:03:34 PM »
OK so it looks like there's also going to be a Japanese language version of the game that will be sold in a select few gaming stores in Japan. The script is about half translated right now. Anyone know of any software that can convert Japanese text to Shift-JIS code sequences? I can write one myself but it will take some time... would be nice if there was something that already exists. The reason I would need this is because this build will utilize the technique that Monolith used to display Japanese text, which is to read it from the system card's character bank.

NightWolve

« Reply #758 on: March 09, 2018, 12:15:24 PM »
Anyone know of any software that can convert Japanese text to Shift-JIS code sequences? I can write one myself but it will take some time... would be nice if there was something that already exists.

Ah darn, my translation software isn't portable given what it was built on, otherwise I could give you something to jump right in.

But, I might as well offer up my S-JIS-to-Unicode table that limits the S-JIS to the PC Engine System Card range. It was a slow way for me to convert back'n'forth (the faster way was using related Windows language API functions).

http://www.ysutopia.net/projects/xakiii/download/CharCodes.zip

A key point is the PCE System Card only supports S-JIS up to 0x9872, which covers Kanji Set I, so no Kanji Set II characters above that may be used. That is reflected in the file I'm giving you. You can open it in most editors, and take a look top to bottom.

So when I had Japanese Unicode characters, I could programmatically search in it (after one time loading in memory and arranging it in array form), find the S-JIS code in hex, and replace, OR vice versa, etc. Simple enough.

Building it was part of my early research project in Japanese text storage methods when I began PC Engine/Falcom fan translation projects. I left behind stuff like this:

http://www.ysutopia.net/projects/s-jis/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 12:59:59 PM by NightWolve »

nodtveidt

« Reply #759 on: March 09, 2018, 04:32:53 PM »
That came in quite handy, thanks! :) I was able to write up a script compiler for this project using this chart. I had some trouble initially with the file but I got it ironed out... I just had to change it to a different encoding type. Basically, I used your CharCodes.txt as a character integrity dataset. The source scripts can be done in UTF-8, and then I convert them to Shift-JIS with iconv, which I then feed to my script compiler. It marks anything above 0xDF as an error, and filters anything lower to make sure it's a valid character, as there are quite a few gaps in the valid list. Anything below 0x20 is ignored, though I make an exception and use 0xA as a normal line break (so it'll work in Linux if I choose to do a Linux port of the script compiler). If a 0x7C is encountered, it treats the next byte as a control code (for doing things like changing display faces or making the text pause and wait for a button press). Anything above 0x7E and below 0xA1 tells it to then read the second byte and check the two bytes together against the chart. If it checks out, it inserts the character into the output file and moves on to the next character. It also keeps track of all entry points in the script and thus also spits out a header file I can just #include into the program source to know where in the compiled script to start reading for a particular dialogue scene.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #760 on: March 14, 2018, 04:53:05 AM »
So stoked on the game!!! Cant Wait! Gonna feel like a kid on Christmas day when i get my treasure box!!!

esteban

« Reply #761 on: March 14, 2018, 09:37:09 AM »
I am delighted to catch-up on the smooth progress of the Yuki Unit.

Thank you, comrades.

:)
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #762 on: March 15, 2018, 08:26:38 AM »
Looks like we have an official release date for the game... at least let's hope it comes through in time. :D April 12th, the day before MGC'18 begins. Fingers crossed. :D

esteban

FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
« Reply #763 on: March 15, 2018, 08:59:43 AM »
Looks like we have an official release date for the game... at least let's hope it comes through in time. [emoji2] April 12th, the day before MGC'18 begins. Fingers crossed. [emoji2]

Ok, that is magnificent (assuming the timing works out...).

[emoji4]
  |    | 

schweaty

« Reply #764 on: March 15, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »
Woot woot!