Tech and Homebrew > PC Game Development

Learn to code through a series of challenges?

(1/9) > >>

technozombie:
So, like many people I've always want to learn to program/code, but have never really pursued it. I did take a beginners C++ class, and that is the extent of my experience. I've tried to watch Youtube videos, but I usually run into one of two scenarios. Number one: the beginner videos are for the absolute beginner and I get bored and distracted because I already know some of the stuff. Number two: most of the videos are in the format of "here type this,' and you are just following along trying to alt tab and type what they type.  I know there are several people on this site who program and I was hoping someone could issue me a series of challenges that increase in difficulty and complexity.

For example: Some experienced person says "Make a program that does 'X' thing" and then I go research on the internet and figure out how to do it, come back here with the source code, and proceed to the next challenge.

Also, if anyone else on the site is interested in participating in these proposed challenges then they are more than welcome. As a matter of fact if anyone has any good ideas on how to learn to code or even how to keep oneself focused on task/hobby/learning goal, then feel free to add that here. I get distracted easy, even when playing games I tend to play 4 or 5 in short bursts and seldom complete anything.

MrBroadway:
What I did to brush up on things is to try to make one really big thing. I tried to create an in-depth data-analysis program in C using Win32. It helps to slowly add things here and there until you're competent. For Java, making a calculator got me to master some of the basics.

That said, I'd be interested. Are you still doing C++?

technozombie:
I thought C++ would probably be the best way to go, but I'm open to other ideas.

elmer:

--- Quote from: technozombie on September 29, 2016, 07:37:43 AM ---I thought C++ would probably be the best way to go, but I'm open to other ideas.
--- End quote ---

IMHO, it depends upon how much interest you have, and what your eventual goal is.

What kinds of things would you like to program?

If you can analyse why you have some interest in learning, then it would be easier to make recommendations.

Way back-in-the-day, everyone wanted to make simple games written in BASIC on home computers with simple graphics.

That's an excellent way to start because you get fast feedback, and learn simple logic.

And that's a skill that you can then build on to take the next step.

Learning from modern C++ aficionados who just want you to string together pre-written functions from the std:: namespace isn't going to teach you how to think and problem-solve, or much about how stuff really works.

technozombie:
Well i definitely wouldn't mind learning to make simple games. Actually, my son likes to do some pixel art, and I would like use his art in a game as well as be able to teach him how to do it.

As far as why I have interest in learning, it's really because I like challenging myself with new things. I recently tiled in a shower in one of my bathrooms, it was a difficult, but rewarding experience. Like any kid who grew up with a Nintendo, I've pretty much always wanted to make my own game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version