Author Topic: NES classic  (Read 12519 times)

gheebee

Re: NES classic
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2017, 03:52:36 AM »
Geez, you're a fickle little baby, aren't you?

I guess. For me this was a novelty item and the novelty of the item wore off before I had a chance to buy one.

NE146

« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2017, 03:56:15 AM »
I was able to pick up an NES classic earlier this month (2/9/17).. they are getting stocked once or twice a week at local Targets. You just have to watch brickseek.com and be at the store maybe 30 minutes before they open. You no longer have to line up at 6am I don't think. :p It is what it is at this point.

Regarding retropie, I love it but I have to say it was hard for me to set up.. I won't bother going into details (e.g. trying to connect to wireless threw me for a loop for days until I realized it was defaulted to a UK keyboard layout  :lol:) Also the pure finickiness of FBA as to what roms would work with it.. I had to find a near complete set and then fix with clrmamepro, which was a real pain.  But yeah it's great.  I wouldn't put it anywhere near the NES Classic though unless the only thing you're looking forward to is "playing games".. because the NES Classic's draw to me is that it's 1) mfg by Nintendo 2) boxed and 3) looks like a mini NES. :)

crazydean

« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2017, 05:07:44 AM »
So, I'm gonna be that guy and ask about lag. How does it compare to the Wii U virtual console or R Pi or Framemeister or OSSC?

My TV hates 480i/p and does a shit job at minimizing lag. For this reason, I can run some emulators on my PC which upscale to 1080p very smoothly, but I wouldn't dream of playing an actual console.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

NE146

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »
At the end of the day it's pretty subjective I think how it affects you..  but I can try to go to Mr. Dream (ugh) on a real NES on a CRT tv and dodge punches.. then try the same thing on the Classic running on an hdtv.  Why not. :) Will report back later

SignOfZeta

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2017, 07:36:48 AM »
Geez, you're a fickle little baby, aren't you?

I guess. For me this was a novelty item and the novelty of the item wore off before I had a chance to buy one.

Good. Now maybe I can get one.

esteban

« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
I still want one, not that I need it, but I am curious about it.

I mean, I have a bunch of "extra" consoles (multiple versions of PCE, Famicom, etc)... which is redundant but fun :)

...so, clearly, I am going to get NES Classic  eventually.
  |    | 

seieienbu

« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
I still want one, not that I need it, but I am curious about it.

I mean, I have a bunch of "extra" consoles (multiple versions of PCE, Famicom, etc)... which is redundant but fun :)

...so, clearly, I am going to get NES Classic  eventually.

Something tells me that you should get it new when you can.  I have no intention of buying one through a scalper and I don't expect Nintendo to keep making them forever.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esadajr

« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2017, 01:33:08 AM »
It was just a publicity stunt. After the Switch they're swimming in $ so they can be as arrogant as they want.
Gaming since 1985

sirhcman

« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2017, 08:52:45 AM »
Is anyone really surprised? I'm not.. disappointed though, I wanted a system. Their excuse for discontinuing the system is terrible too

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/13/15293030/nes-classic-edition-discontinued

Medic_wheat

« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
Yeah it always felt like something to keep the company relevant in the media while the Switch was still been kept a secrete as far as design and specs.

It kept people talking about Nidnento and shifted focus away from the WiiU.

Now that the Switch is out and getting positive feedback in sales Nintendo can drop all pretense of interest and focus on three NES Classic.

If I stumble on one for retail I might get it. If not f*ck it. It's not something my gaming set up needs.

seieienbu

« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »
Call me a tin foil hat conspiracy theorist if you must, but I think Nintendo intentionally made too few because they didn't want people to buy them.  Instead, I think the whole thing was a viral marketing ploy for their Switch.  They don't make enough but remind the gaming public how much they like (liked) Nintendo.

The "They don't make enough" part is so that the casual consumer won't buy a single NES with 30 games and then call it a day for their gaming budget for the next year or whatever but instead are essentially forced into buying a Switch if they want to get some of that sweet Nintendo gaming. 

I seriously don't like Nintendo as a company anymore.  Yeah, some of their games are still games that I want to play but I hate the idea of me giving them my money.  I haven't felt satisfied with a Nintendo system since the SNES.  Now this happens; I don't even want the stupid thing for myself as I'm good on NES games.  I couldn't get one as a Christmas present and I'm still trying to get one now.  I've waited in lines, I've tried to buy online, I've used brickseek online to try to get one and I still have nothing to show for it.  The one time I saw one just sitting in a store for sale it was marked up to over double the MSRP.  Way to drop the ball on consumers, Nintendo.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SignOfZeta

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »
You're imagining things. There's way too much testosterone in your gaming world view.

Groover

« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »
Nintendo is no longer shipping NES Classics. If you still want one good luck.

Dicer

« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »
Nintendo is no longer shipping NES Classics. If you still want one good luck.

All desire went away when scalpers went batshit with it, rather build a pi with a case of my own choosing...

Groover

« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2017, 02:37:29 PM »
Play Asia is still selling the Famicom version for $99. not bad considering it has two controllers and it is an import. This is tempting for me.