Author Topic: NES classic  (Read 12475 times)

elmer

Re: NES classic
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2017, 03:06:51 PM »
Call me a tin foil hat conspiracy theorist if you must, but I think Nintendo intentionally made too few because they didn't want people to buy them.  Instead, I think the whole thing was a viral marketing ploy for their Switch.  They don't make enough but remind the gaming public how much they like (liked) Nintendo.

Call me a cynic ... but I think very differently.

I think that the Switch wasn't going to be ready for Christmas, and they needed something to sell and keep them in the spotlight after the awful Wii-U debacle.

So they made as many NES Classics as they thought that they could sell, and they were surprised by the demand.

Now that the Switch is out and getting positive response, they want that to be their talked-about-and-purchased system over the Summer, and into the Christmas run up, with no distractions from anything else.

Did anymore see the press release?

"Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year."

Now that Nintendo are sure that their fanbase will lap these up, I fully-expect that there will be an "NES Classic II" next year, or the year-after, when the Switch has cemented or failed-to-cement its place in customer's hearts.

Then exactly-the-same collectards will go out and buy that, and maybe they'll make enough-extra for everyone else.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2017, 03:46:45 PM »
Re: bitches.

1: you can't seriously expect them to keep making the thing as-is now that it's been cracked.

2: please try to understand that just because you want something...that's just part of getting it. Nintendo products are INSANE popular. To produce enough units of anything they make to satisfy ALL THE WHINY BITCHES and saturate the eBay scalper market to the point of pointlessness they would need to contract assloads more factories to make thing, whatever thing it is. Each one is a security risk, and none of them have any reason to be loyal to Nintendo because when demand drops off %90 after two months (because, keep in mind, to please fanboys, EVERYONE now has one) the contract will be over. This is how XBoxes and PlayStations are made. These machines lose crazy money for their OEMs because if it (and other reasons). Nintendo is not the maker of the worlds most popular OS or a giant movie studio. They don't get royalties for thousands of patents. They don't run an ad service. They don't get revenue from lasers and credit card technology and all the shit in Sony/MS's portfolio. They are a video game company, they need to make money off video games, and they managed to (usually) do that even while charging less than the competition.

People who have never busted their ass for years on a product, IMO, have a lot less right to complain about people who do. Maybe not roads and hospitals and food, but children's toys? Yeah, please shut the f*ck up. Shut the f*ck up about how one of the OEMs in this floundering industry has found a way to stay profitable with a Christmas toy that costs less than a single LE Vita game. Please. Please shut the f*ck right up.

For the record, I'm still looking for one...still have never seen a single unit in person. Still not mad about it. If it weren't for the box collectors and the eBay-employed I'd have one.

TheClash603

« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2017, 06:06:59 PM »
I am shocked that with 1.5 million sold, this is still a rare item selling at 6x retail.

F5 was my friend the last time Best Buy had them online at least.

I still wish Nintendo launched this at $100 with two controllers.  Seems like it would've still sold out, but prevented the flippers due to added cost.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2017, 06:31:23 PM »
1: you can't seriously expect them to keep making the thing as-is now that it's been cracked.

The Wii was cracked.  Same with every iteration of the DS.

If it weren't for the box collectors and the eBay-employed I'd have one.

That's the sad truth, right there.

Punch

« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2017, 06:46:43 PM »
People who have never busted their ass for years on a product, IMO, have a lot less right to complain about people who do.

Ahh the classic appeal to accomplishment fallacy.

TheClash603

« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2017, 01:18:52 AM »
Famicom Mini has also been temporarily cancelled.  The system is available on Amazon for under $100 shipped still and is likely everyone's best option at this point.

Pros:  Decent price still found and two controllers.

Cons:  Hardwired controllers are small and cords are short.  For non Japanese speakers the RPGs are wasted games.

Dicer

« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2017, 03:49:04 AM »
Famicom Mini has also been temporarily cancelled.  The system is available on Amazon for under $100 shipped still and is likely everyone's best option at this point.

Cons:  Hardwired controllers are small and cords are short.  For non Japanese speakers the RPGs are wasted games.

Is it as hackable as it's US counterpart?

Medic_wheat

« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2017, 03:50:03 AM »

I want to say yes
Is it as hackable as it's US counterpart?

Warbucks

« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2017, 06:05:19 AM »
Luckily I was able to pick up a NES Classic yesterday at Walmart.
3 came in, I was with 2 friends we each got one.  It was perfect.
I have been on the lookout since the release day, and this was the 1st time I have actually seen it in stock. This bad boy will be going in my younger son's room, he has been dying for a system to be in there.

They are still out there.  Keep checking

Medic_wheat

« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2017, 08:18:53 AM »
Luckily I was able to pick up a NES Classic yesterday at Walmart.
3 came in, I was with 2 friends we each got one.  It was perfect.
I have been on the lookout since the release day, and this was the 1st time I have actually seen it in stock. This bad boy will be going in my younger son's room, he has been dying for a system to be in there.

They are still out there.  Keep checking

And this to me is what this system was meant for.

A cheap functional accessible system to expose younger and d gamers to 8 bit fun.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2017, 08:55:28 AM »
Although it can be a good way for the newer generation to play the awesome nintendo games of the past, i think its ridiculous that people were flipping these for like $200+  when you can buy a real nes with an everdrive for around the same price and have all the games avaliable instead of only 30. A cool concept but too many flippers involved in it and made me uninterested

crazydean

« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »
Although it can be a good way for the newer generation to play the awesome nintendo games of the past, i think its ridiculous that people were flipping these for like $200+  when you can buy a real nes with an everdrive for around the same price and have all the games avaliable instead of only 30. A cool concept but too many flippers involved in it and made me uninterested

There's also the obvious solution of a cheaper and more versatile raspberry pi.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
The general population isn't going to mess around with a RetroPie.  Those are for hobbyists/enthusiasts. 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
People who have never busted their ass for years on a product, IMO, have a lot less right to complain about people who do.

Ahh the classic appeal to accomplishment fallacy.

Accomplishment is no fallacy. People who have done shit really are different from armchair CEO fanboys with zero experience in anything. If you've worked at banks or retail or some other useless shit all your live you'll never know this though. It's kind of impossible to see the other side of the fence...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:41:24 AM by SignOfZeta »

crazydean

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »
The general population isn't going to mess around with a RetroPie.  Those are for hobbyists/enthusiasts.

Agreed, but the people bitching about the costs could easily buy a pi online that already has everything on it.

Also, if the people on gaming forums aren't "enthusiasts" then i don't know who is.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.