Author Topic: Old School Pain In The Ass SHMUPs  (Read 561 times)

Magister

Old School Pain In The Ass SHMUPs
« on: January 01, 2017, 11:48:02 AM »
When I think of Old School Shmups that were a pain in the ass to beat, Wings of Wor comes to mind.  Music was cool, bosses were creepy as all hell, but my god the bosses took forever to beat.  Even if you were fully powered up.  Wish I still owned this for the Genesis.

This Space For Rent.

Punch

Re: Old School Pain In The Ass SHMUPs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »
Hah, Cho Aniki In the Closet edition. A decent game but the bosses were annoying.

WoodyXP

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 03:01:14 PM »
Vanguard for the Atari 2600 was a bitch in some spots.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 03:36:41 PM »
Air Fortress for the NES comes to mind. Though its more of a hybrid, still a PIA.

Magister

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 11:16:29 AM »
Abadox for the NES is the only game I've ever used a cheat code to beat.  I hated this game, and I'm glad I didn't put much work into it because the ending was garbage.

This Space For Rent.

blueraven

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »
Gyruss and Satan's Hollow
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

esteban

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 10:56:28 PM »
Cobra Command (NES) was a tough game to beat. You have to be really careful underground (don't crash into walls) and if you sustained damage, you had a *slight* chance of surviving if you had skills (damaged copter was challenging to control). On the rare chance I made it to the end, I would choke. I died quickly and didn't have any time to develop a strategy for last boss.

|    | 

blueraven

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 08:12:10 AM »
Cobra Command (NES) was a tough game to beat. You have to be really careful underground (don't crash into walls) and if you sustained damage, you had a *slight* chance of surviving if you had skills (damaged copter was challenging to control). On the rare chance I made it to the end, I would choke. I died quickly and didn't have any time to develop a strategy for last boss.

Yeah, Cobra Command was hard este.

The reason why I chose Gyruss was because of the circular format of the game, which was incredibly confusing for a lot of people. I saw kids dump tons of quarters into that console ad not get past the first level. The format was the main learning curve, but once you got past it, it was a truly unique shewtie experience :D. I think I got to level 4 or 5 but never beat it, and then I stumbled across an NES copy years ago and even though it doesn't measure up to the arcade is still fun to play every now and again.

My friend holds the world record on Satan's Hollow. He played it for charity for 26 hours straight back in the 1980's until someone walked into the power supply and unplugged the system. I saw the newspaper article, and checked his name in the record-book, so I know he's not bullshitting. :D

I loved the idea of the temporary shield in that game, which allowed you to blast through some of the enemy fire when you were just inundated. It added a dimension that took out a lot of the paranoia from other shooters like it that had 1-hit kills. I guess a bunch of religious people complained and the game was pulled from the arcades despite the fact that you have to kill The Devil, Satan, Beelzebub, and some other demon.
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Magister

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »

I could never make it to Earth in Gyruss when I played it in the Arcades.  It wasn't until I bought the arcade machine that I finally made it.  Now the game is easy.  Still love playing it from time to time just for the music.
This Space For Rent.

blueraven

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 12:41:32 PM »

I could never make it to Earth in Gyruss when I played it in the Arcades.  It wasn't until I bought the arcade machine that I finally made it.  Now the game is easy.  Still love playing it from time to time just for the music.

Nice! If I had that cab I would play the hell out of it.
--

esteban

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 01:07:26 PM »
I love Gyruss.

:)

And the NES port is nice, too.

:)
  |    | 

Magister

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 02:13:23 PM »
Never been able to beat 1943.  That's another machine I own.  Last level you can't continue.  I can make it to the final boss, but there is too much shit coming at you and the Warship is just crazy huge.  I have the 19XX pcb which I swap out of 1943.  That one is a lot more fun since you have more power ups and can charge up your weapons and bombs.  Another jamma pcb I use to own but sold was a game called Dimahoo.  Great Mahou Daisakusen in JP.  Fun game, but got old quick once you beat it enough times.

This Space For Rent.

SuperGrafx

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »

Oh, now that brings back memories.
I actually did manage to beat the game (the last stage required some pseudo slow-mo).
Initially I hated the game...it takes a while to come to grips with the control and figuring out some of the goals that are not very well explained. 

This is one of those games, much like Milon's Secret Castle, where you needed some sort of 'how to' tutorial in order to get started properly.  There were unexplained goals and some weird backtracking required in order to make any headway.

geise

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 01:33:05 AM »
Xenon Amiga and Atari ST

Magister

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 12:24:01 PM »
Vanguard for the Atari 2600 was a bitch in some spots.

Loved Vanguard in the Arcade.  Liked how when you touched the energy pod it would start playing the Hawkmen Theme from Flash Gordon.  Surprised they never got sued for that.
This Space For Rent.