Author Topic: Showing off the PCFX to Playstation or Saturn owners?  (Read 5883 times)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Showing off the PCFX to Playstation or Saturn owners?
« on: January 19, 2017, 05:47:45 AM »
If you had to pick the most graphically impressive PCFX titles, what would you recommend?

I want to "wow" some of my Sony and Sega fanboys friends...

Is it just Zenki?

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
Re: Showing off the PCFX to Playstation or Saturn owners?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:37:14 AM »
If you had to pick the most graphically impressive PCFX titles, what would you recommend?

I want to "wow" some of my Sony and Sega fanboys friends...

Is it just Zenki?

Well, unless these guys like their anime style shits, they may not be too impressed. But I mean, you got titles like Zenki and Zeroigar which would be givens. But you also have the cool battle animation games like Battle Heat and Tengai Makyou: Karakuri Kakutouden too which is pretty tits imo. Most other stuff like Farland series and Pia Carrot can be found on those other systems.

Firewoman Matoi Gumi is an interesting RPG. Yuna FX is also a cool title with interesting battle scenes but very dialogue heavy. Another interesting hidden gem within the game First Kiss Monogatari is a mini game called Hunex Fighters 98. Makes me wish this was a full fledged game. As it is, it's the closest the PC-FX has come to a 2D fighter.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »
Just show them Pia Carrot and silently leave the room for twenty minutes. This will do for a lasting impression.
Don't forget to wipe the screen and controller thoroughly afterwards.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

exodus

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
whoa, I didn't know about the hunex fighter thing! I'm gonna have to get that...

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »
whoa, I didn't know about the hunex fighter thing! I'm gonna have to get that...

That little mini game is the reason this game is more expensive than it should be! :P

Also, if you want to show them a game for a reaction and LULZ, show therm this travesty:
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 01:29:26 AM »
HAHAH!!  Oh, All Japan Pro!!  So awfully awesome!

I always enjoyed Power League FX and Last Imperial Prince as far as games that look really nice and are playable without nihongo knowledge.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 04:26:59 AM »
Show them Team Innocent, Nirgends, Blue Breaker, Boundary Gate, and basically, if that doesn't do it for them, which it probably wont, just give up.

There's also Zenki and Zeroigar, but, lets be honest here,

PSX and Saturn takes hot dumps all over the FX's chest.   That's what happens when you have a <70 game library to try and show off.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 07:28:24 AM »
If they love the PlayStation just hand them the FX pad and show them what a real controller is.

If they love the Saturn just show them the FX console so they can see how a console should really look.

By all means do NOT turn the FX system on because nothing it runs will impress someone who has Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter and Metal Gear Solid. :(

In all seriousness the FMV fighters really are probably your best bet. Zenki looks like a turd next to Guardian Heroes and Zeroyger is no In the Hunt. For some reason FMV fighters in the style of Battle Heat and Tengai Makyou are rare to non-existent on other systems. I can't think of any but I assume there is some PlayStation deep cut made the same way.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 07:36:43 AM »
I gotta agree with Zeta.  As much as I like my PC-FX, there's really nothing that'll knock their socks off after they've been playing the best the Saturn and Playstation have to offer.  The FMV games are the most unique but the aren't all that fun, and much of the lineup is cross platform (with not all that many differences between versions) or games that aren't all that much better than a great 16 bit title.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SamIAm

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 08:48:18 PM »
One of the more insightful Japanese reviews I've read of the PC-FX talked about how it not only lacked a killer app, but it didn't even have a game that you would be excited to show your friends.

elmer

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 08:33:42 AM »
One of the more insightful Japanese reviews I've read of the PC-FX talked about how it not only lacked a killer app, but it didn't even have a game that you would be excited to show your friends.

Errr ... yep. What he said.

As much as I love something like Zeroigar for its story-telling ... it doesn't do anything that's going to impress a Saturn owner.

Now, if the machine had gotten the 3D add-on that's in the PC-FXGA, then perhaps it could have given the Saturn a run for its money ... but it didn't.

I've seen little on the machine that really stretches the 2D capabilities that the documentation says that it has ... like multiple 256-color layers, or putting the sprites into 256-color mode.

Team Innocent is one of the few (that I've seen) that actually uses a 256-color background, and then the developers were too-darned-lazy to write a good-looking software-scale so that the single main sprite wouldn't jump up/down in size by 4-pixels, or to use 256-color mode for the sprites, or possibly to use a 2nd 256-color layer for the talking-heads.

It's like nobody even made an effort to really use the machine.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 02:35:23 AM »
It's like nobody even made an effort to really use the machine.

Sure they did.  The problem is, the games focused on the PC-FX's excellent FMV hardware, as they kind of marketed the machine as that sort of box.

And, banking on FMV was a bad idea, because it didn't catch on.

Sort of like what happened with Sega CD in USA, lol.

The only game I enjoy showing friends is Zenki.   and Boundary Gate, but, other than that it's like "yeah this is a game machine for weirdos"

SignOfZeta

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 04:22:28 AM »
As has been said before, nevermind competing with SS and PS the FX can't even hold a candle to PCE. Not even close. A system like that will have a hard time continuing to exist.

You'd think they would have made at least a few actual game for the thing. I'm not sure what happened. Hudson clearly didn't have their heart in it since they actually did really well in the 32-bit era with completely different sorts of games on other systems.

elmer

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 05:26:29 AM »
As has been said before, nevermind competing with SS and PS the FX can't even hold a candle to PCE. Not even close. A system like that will have a hard time continuing to exist.

Do you mean the comparison in terms of the games and 3rd-party developer support vs the PCE?

The PC-FX hardware itself is much better than the PCE. It's actually a nice machine.

When Sony entered the console business, it sent ripples through the development industry ... and there sure wasn't room in the marketplace for a 4th-place console where NEC had already shown that it didn't have a clue about supporting developers.

Sure they did.  The problem is, the games focused on the PC-FX's excellent FMV hardware, as they kind of marketed the machine as that sort of box.

And, banking on FMV was a bad idea, because it didn't catch on.

'cmon dude ... I just pointed out how Hudson didn't even push the machine with their own Team Innocent launch title that was supposed to interest people in buying the machine.

16-color sprites with jerky scaling and a bland 16-color HUD/interface don't make the machine look impressive.

The hardware is capable of more.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 06:13:37 AM »
'cmon dude ... I just pointed out how Hudson didn't even push the machine with their own Team Innocent launch title that was supposed to interest people in buying the machine.

16-color sprites with jerky scaling and a bland 16-color HUD/interface don't make the machine look impressive.

The hardware is capable of more.

Please re-read what you quoted from me, and try again.

Mainly, the "banking on the FMV" part.

...which has nothing to do with scaling, sprite depth, and HUDs.

Also, 16 color sprites is plenty of colors for anime-cutouts. 

My point is that the focal point of basically every FX game is the

FMV HARDWARE

Every game is basically some ho-hum strategy/RPG/digital comic that cuts into really cool FMV sequences, before returning to mediocrity, for the most part.

and many of the games are only interesting if you like whichever show it is that the game is from.