Author Topic: Streets of Rage 2 - Go Straight Beatmix (TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine Cover)  (Read 3142 times)

fragmare

Re: Streets of Rage 2 - Go Straight Beatmix (TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine Cover)
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2017, 06:41:07 AM »
Why not port over TMNT from the NES?  Upgrade the colors?

Screw that.  Why port a port.  Just rip the sprites/tiles straight from MAME and port the original arcade game...  something like this >>

Michirin9801

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 07:05:01 AM »
I just watched some gameplay, and wow, for an arcade game, Osman sure does flicker quite a bit >w>

You probably ended up at the same crappy YouTube longplay video that I did.

Try this one instead ...

No noticeable flicker.

Or just fire it up in Mame!  :wink:
Yep that looks quite a bit better!

Black Tiger

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 07:49:20 AM »
I just watched some gameplay, and wow, for an arcade game, Osman sure does flicker quite a bit >w>
A pretty arcade-close port could totally be done on the SuperGrafx, but then again that does limit who can really play it, but on the PCE the backgrounds would have to pick between having detail but no parallax, or parallax but no detail... Personally I'd pick the latter, but I have a bit of a hard time imagining what the new BG made of sprites would look like... Maybe just have a couple of building and cloud sprites here and there behind the BG in tandem with some line-interruption to do an Amiga-style gradient, but I don't know, there are a lot of ways it could be done, all of which would require some artist interpretation...

That's what I had in mind for lower sections of vertically scrolling stages. I could put together mockups showing how nice I believe it could look, but there doesn't seem to be much on the way of sprite or background rips out there and I don't have the time to spend on that part.

If you keep in mind the standards of 16-bit console games instead of using arcade perfection as the goal, the PCE could do something that would have been declared "arcade perfect" bitd.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gredler

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 09:43:51 AM »
Toejam and earl knockoff game for pce. Let's make it happen.

fragmare

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2017, 10:26:27 AM »
Toejam and earl knockoff game for pce. Let's make it happen.

I dunno, man... I'm not so sure the PCE could pull off those funky Genesis tunes...

Just kidding, the PCE could do all that shit, no problem  bahahahahaha!

P.S., how did we get from Streets of Rage to Toejam & Earl?

spenoza

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2017, 11:04:06 AM »
Streets of Earl! Toejam Rage! These are great games in my head.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Joe Redifer

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »
Just checked out this thread. Great approximation of the Genesis sound hardware! Where's the Turbo Everdrive-friendly file I can play on my own system? My Turbo is fantastic because it adds a layer of 60Hz buzzzz to the mix. Who doesn't love that? Not sure why it's not perfectly grounded or where the error could lie.

fragmare

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »
Just checked out this thread. Great approximation of the Genesis sound hardware! Where's the Turbo Everdrive-friendly file I can play on my own system? My Turbo is fantastic because it adds a layer of 60Hz buzzzz to the mix. Who doesn't love that? Not sure why it's not perfectly grounded or where the error could lie.

Right here.  :)

Streets of Rage 2 - Go Straight Beatmix (TurboGrafx-16 Cover) ROM File download

I never know who's interested in having the actual ROM files and who's not, so I just upload them over on the Deflemask forums, unless somebody mentions them here.  So if anybody wants any of the ROM files for any of my chiptunes, speak up.  I'll upload it somewhere.

Sorry to hear about your constant buzz.  Maybe it's time to break out the old soldering iron?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:02:02 PM by fragmare »

Black Tiger

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »
Turbo Everdrives can add a lot of buzzing when playing sound roms.

Dicer

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
Turbo Everdrives can add a lot of buzzing when playing sound roms.

Never on mine (v1)

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2017, 05:16:30 PM »
Why not port over TMNT from the NES?  Upgrade the colors?

Screw that.  Why port a port.  Just rip the sprites/tiles straight from MAME and port the original arcade game...  something like this >>

If we ever did that, I'd require the snow level from the NES game, I love that level.  Could maybe turn it on & off like with Striders extra level, which I also enjoy.  Only bummer would be any extra work for unique tiles/sprites that were in the snow level.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 08:18:22 PM »
Downloaded. My Turbo's not hooked up at the moment, but can the Turbo Everdrive play .HES files? Or is this one of those things I need to relable to .PCE?

fragmare

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 09:11:27 PM »
Downloaded. My Turbo's not hooked up at the moment, but can the Turbo Everdrive play .HES files? Or is this one of those things I need to relable to .PCE?

Nah, you don't need to do anything special for it to work.  It should load up and run just fine on the Everdrive.  An HES file is just a PCE ROM file with a built-in PSG music player.  Mednafen even has a cool little visualizer scope when it plays the HES ROM files... pretty sure real hardware just has a blank screen with the music playing, though.  Still though... PCE tunes!  :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:38:28 AM by fragmare »

Dicer

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2017, 03:14:59 AM »

Not hooked up, what kind of blasphemy is this?!?!!?

Black Tiger

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2017, 03:45:33 AM »
Turbo Everdrives are hit and miss when it comes to playing .hes files. They often distort sounds, miss entire channels, change the speed, etc and many don't work at all. Different revisions have different results for the same files and there is no consistency for newer or older models being better or worse. Sometimes an old TED will play a particular soundtrack better but it will play another soubdtrack worse.

Also, some soundtracks will only work on a particular TED if you rename them to .pce