Author Topic: HuC/ Magic Kit running concerns or alternatives?  (Read 1856 times)

Gredler

Re: HuC/ Magic Kit running concerns or alternatives?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »
Heck ya not sure how I missed it in your previous mentions but I will check it out next time I am at a workstation

touko

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 01:30:05 AM »
seems to be a very good program, but the free version is so slow to start .

If you mean the annoying "ProMotion" animation ... then just turn it off in the File->Preferences menu.

thanks, but i think there is a problem with my win7, because on windows 8.1 it start normally,and splash screen cannot be disabled in free version .
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:31:53 AM by touko »

elmer

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 04:29:12 AM »
thanks, but i think there is a problem with my win7, because on windows 8.1 it start normally,and splash screen cannot be disabled in free version .

Ahhh ... sorry. I applied my license key to unlock the "full" version before I got annoyed-enough with the splash screen that I wanted to turn it off.

I'm running Win7 x64 and it starts up almost instantly now.

IIRC, this is the first version of the software that even has a free version.

It's not exactly an expensive piece of software for its features, and I guess that I can understand why he doesn't let you turn off the splash screen in the free version.

touko

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 05:18:46 AM »
Ahhh ... sorry. I applied my license key to unlock the "full" version before I got annoyed-enough with the splash screen that I wanted to turn it off.
Don't worry, in fact it's not annoying because on windows 8 it's fast, it's only on my win7 which is slow, and i thought it was because of splash screen + free version .  :wink:

touko

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 07:55:29 AM »
Hi, i found this :
http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/tools.cfm
It can be useful .

elmer

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 08:12:52 AM »
Hi, i found this :
http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/tools.cfm
It can be useful .

Have you tried using it?

Even though it says "free", the last time I downloaded it, it still required you to purchase a license file in order to actually compile anything.

And you're screwed anyway if you really want to deal with bank-mapped hardware like the PCE.

touko

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 08:22:35 PM »
Have you tried using it?
No  :P

Even though it says "free", the last time I downloaded it, it still required you to purchase a license file in order to actually compile anything.
I thought it needs only registration  :-k

And you're screwed anyway if you really want to deal with bank-mapped hardware like the PCE.
Yes, but if someone want to go with a new (and better) asm compiler,i thought it was a good start,but if it not free, it's useless .

EDIT:i tested wdctools and it's free ,maybe the others are free too .
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:10:57 AM by touko »

elmer

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 05:11:13 AM »
EDIT:i tested wdctools and it's free ,maybe the others are free too .

It certainly does look like they only require you to register now in order to unlock the C compiler.

If that's really the case, then would be cool of them.

I took a look at their PDF manual explaining the compiler and program architecture ... and it looks a bit scary (in theory). It seems that they're doing a lot of copying of stuff between stacks every time a function is called or returned from.

That's probably an easy way to get full ANSI C compliance, but it sounds a bit slow.

The lack of banking and optimizations for the HuC6280 CPU and PCE programs would obviously effect us, too.

I'll be interested to hear opinions if someone tries playing with it.