Author Topic: Which is your favorite retro gaming era?  (Read 7239 times)

Michirin9801

Re: Which is your favorite retro gaming era?
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2017, 01:11:17 PM »
Unity added proper 2d a few years ago.   Its pretty solid.   No more fighting with 3d confines on a flat z axis. 
That's good to know!

I like the actual retro more than trying to pander to new people
So do I

Naniyue

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2023, 12:13:47 AM »
  I figured I'd search for this topic first, before posting a new one.  I know the topic is old, but I'm new, and curious if opinions have changed, been reinforced, or if there are new ones that haven't been posted yet.

I've been a video game fanatic since the 2nd generation (ATARI! ATARI!) and my favorite is the 4th generation.  Surprise, surprise.  What a jump in graphics and technology at the time, especially with the TG/PCE CD!!  Guess which system is my favorite? Hmmmmm . . .

I do have a soft spot for the Saturn.

I stopped buying consoles once I FINALLY got my own PC in the late 90's, and I'm never going back!  Most of the games of the past 20 years that I have wanted are available on PC anyway.

But the Turbo/PCE will ALWAYS be the BEST console!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 12:17:00 AM by Naniyue »

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2023, 09:07:12 AM »
  I figured I'd search for this topic first, before posting a new one.  I know the topic is old...
<rise from your grave>

I feel you're in with the majority of members here. Being a TG forum, it makes sense that we have nostalgia or appreciation for the NES/TG years of gaming. Of course it helps when the Turbo is the best evah :)

I did go "PC master race" around 2004 with the release of Half Life 2 (and Unreal Tournament) and took a detour from consoles for a few years, but I've found my way back to the obey. For the past 10 years, I've been focusing my gaming passion back on Turbo along with 1st-3rd gen JP console video games.

Nani -> If you focused on PC in the 90's, does that mean you emulate your retro games or do you have some real hardware to play on?
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Naniyue

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2023, 08:42:28 PM »

Both.  I still have my Duo, Nomad, Atari 2600, GBA and NDS.  I also have the plug and play versions of the Colecovision and Intellivision.  I'm considering buying an Analogue Duo, since my actual Duo is fickle at this point.  :cry:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2023, 02:33:36 AM »
... curious if opinions have changed...

I'm still 16-bit era all the way.  I've played a lot of PC, PSP, and Vita since then, but PCE is what I keep coming back to and playing more than anything else.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2023, 06:06:06 PM »

Both.  I still have my Duo, Nomad, Atari 2600, GBA and NDS.  I also have the plug and play versions of the Colecovision and Intellivision.  I'm considering buying an Analogue Duo, since my actual Duo is fickle at this point.  :cry:

At this point what is even considered "retro"?  I know this question comes up from time to time, but seriously. I have children that look at the PS3/360 era as "ages ago"... and I'm like... THE GAMES LOOK THE SAME!

Get off my lawn.....

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2023, 10:35:29 AM »
Get off my lawn.....

...get off the lawn and stand on the porch to yell at the clouds. (personally, I look forward to the day of being Clint Eastwoods' character in Gran Torino with the cooler of beer sitting on the porch)

For the generation that grew up on PS3/360, so that is "retro" for them, be able to mingle with the prior gen that grew up in the 16-bit wars? Sort of like how do WW2 vets feel about Vietnam vets? Will our love of turbo turn us into spiteful resentful elitists? (if it hasn't already)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Naniyue

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2023, 06:25:14 PM »
  I like games from all generations.  I just don't like using a controller for an FPS.  Keyboard/mouse all the way!!!!

Don't worry!  Thirty years from now the youth of today will have kids that look at the Playstation 5 and say, "Those graphics suck!"