Author Topic: PC Engine Mini coming to Jipang only in 2018!!  (Read 946 times)

Michirin9801

Re: PC Engine Mini coming to Jipang only in 2018!!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 09:08:33 AM »
If it weren't for wanting to give fans of Fighting games *something* to play, I'd just have booted the last game out and added Gomola Speed instead!

You know what? That gave me an idea! Since I can use all of the Japan-only titles, here's my new list:

1 - Street Fighter II
2 - Asuka 120% Maxima Burning Fest
3 - Tengai Makyou Kabuki Ittoryoudan
4 - Advanced V.G.
5 - World Heroes 2
6 - Ryuuko no Ken
7 - Garou Densetsu Special (or 2 maybe?)
8 - Martial Champion
9 - Kaze Kiri Ninja action
10 - Jackie Chan
11 - Super Star Soldier
12 - Final Soldier
13 - Soldier Blade
14 - Star Parodier
15 - Dracula X
16 - Magical Chase
17 - Cotton Fantastic night Dreams
18 - Valkyrie no Densetsu
19 - Detana!! Twinbee
20 - Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
21 - Adventure Island

I gotta get my priorities straight after all =w=';
No US exclusive title either, I was gonna make it Shadow of the Beast, if only for the music, but I think it was released in Japan so that doesn't count as "US exclusive" so I said "F*** it" and put in the Japanese Dragon's Curse because I have to have that one too...

Oh and, in a perfect world, the Asuka 120% Maxima Burning Fest version included in this thing would be a hacked version which replaces the soundtrack for a pre-recorded redbook version of the FAR superior Sharp X68000's eargasm-worthy FM-Synth soundtrack! (Minus the ending theme, that one can stay as it is) And the new character theme songs made for Maxima Burning Fest would be re-arranged on the YM2151 + ADPCM using the same instruments as the original X68000 version ;3

(I totally wanna do that someday...)

benlefou

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 02:05:52 PM »
Yeah, sorry, I'll wait for the Japanese/European PCE-mini ... there are just too many good games missing from the TG16 library!  :wink:

Well, now is your chance!  What is in your 20 PCE titles, and which of the many US exclusives would you put as the 21st game?

Well ... ... ... ... I'd change the rules a tiny bit and I wouldn't put any US Exclusives in the mix.  :wink:

I just can't think of a single one that really added anything worth-a-damn to the PCE's history.

I'd also include the SuperGrafx, since that's an interesting part of the story of the PCE, and provided a couple of classic arcade-ports that beat other 16-bit generation systems.

I'd try to mix iconic titles (even if they aren't the best), with best-on-system titles, and exclusives that you just couldn't play anywhere else, and show the variety on the platform.

And, since I'm also imagining a UK/European release, anything that's got a lot of text should have an English patch available (if possible).

RPG
========================
Ys I & II
Legend of Xanadu
Legend of Xanadu II
Anearth Fanasy Stories
Private Eye Dol

Vertical Shooter
========================
Gunhed
1941 Counter Atack
Sapphire

Horizontal Shooter
========================
R-Type
Parodius Da!
Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Ai-Cho Aniki

Platform
========================
Bonk's Revenge
Daimakaimura
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

Other
========================
Bomberman '93 (not 94)
Neo Nectaris/Military Madness
Devil's Crush
Mr Heli

Fighting
========================
Kabuki Itoryodan (or maybe Street Fighter II)

If it weren't for wanting to give fans of Fighting games *something* to play, I'd just have booted the last game out and added Gomola Speed instead!

That list looks bang on, I'd maybe try to squeeze SSS and Soldier Blade on though, and maybe Nexzr... Oh and Image Fight.... Actually let's just fill it with shooters!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 02:10:19 PM by benlefou »

A PC Engine blog.

Punch

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 11:15:24 PM »
There's a disturbing lack of boob mahjong titles in your lists.

benlefou

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 11:47:28 PM »
My alternative list:

1. Bloody Wolf
2. R-Type
3. Ninja Spirit
4. Daimakaimura
5. 1943 Kai
6. Dracula X
7. Soldier Blade
8. Splatterhouse
9. Crest of Wolf
10. Bonk 2
11. Legendary Axe 2
12. Download
13. Image Fight 2
14. Faussete Amour
15. Kaze Kiri
16. Nexzr
17. Super Star Soldier
18. Bomberman 94'
19. Gate of Thunder
20. Winds of Thunder
21. Sapphire

This post has influenced my latest blog post, please take a look, link in my signature.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:35:21 AM by benlefou »

A PC Engine blog.

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 04:59:27 AM »
Yeah, sorry, I'll wait for the Japanese/European PCE-mini ... there are just too many good games missing from the TG16 library!  :wink:

Well, now is your chance!  What is in your 20 PCE titles, and which of the many US exclusives would you put as the 21st game?

Well ... ... ... ... I'd change the rules a tiny bit and I wouldn't put any US Exclusives in the mix.  :wink:

I just can't think of a single one that really added anything worth-a-damn to the PCE's history.

I'd also include the SuperGrafx, since that's an interesting part of the story of the PCE, and provided a couple of classic arcade-ports that beat other 16-bit generation systems.

I'd try to mix iconic titles (even if they aren't the best), with best-on-system titles, and exclusives that you just couldn't play anywhere else, and show the variety on the platform.

And, since I'm also imagining a UK/European release, anything that's got a lot of text should have an English patch available (if possible).

RPG
========================
Ys I & II
Legend of Xanadu
Legend of Xanadu II
Anearth Fanasy Stories
Private Eye Dol

Vertical Shooter
========================
Gunhed
1941 Counter Atack
Sapphire

Horizontal Shooter
========================
R-Type
Parodius Da!
Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Ai-Cho Aniki

Platform
========================
Bonk's Revenge
Daimakaimura
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

Other
========================
Bomberman '93 (not 94)
Neo Nectaris/Military Madness
Devil's Crush
Mr Heli

Fighting
========================
Kabuki Itoryodan (or maybe Street Fighter II)

Order of the Griffon and Beyond Shadowgate are much more significant than Mr Heli or Gomola Speed. Beyond Shadowgate also represents most of the things you tried to cover and is a much better example of a game that couldn't be done on other 16-bit consoles.

If you're going to try covering enough genres to either please everyone or represent the PC Engine, you missed out on most of them. What makes the library unique, is the kinds of unique or so-called hybrid games and the types of games which aren't popular in English speaking markets are particularly significant. The platform is known for its variety and you could assemble 20 different types of games which are as different from one another as the few genres which you chose are from each other.

Daimakaimura is a sloppy production, makes poor use of both the base PCE hardware as well as what the SuperGrafx adds and is a far worse port than so many other PCE games. Also, like half of the games you chose, you can play it on other platforms.

Although many RPG fans can appreciate games like Ys and Legend of Xanadu, which include RPG elements, you're going to leave them feeling shorted by not including proper RPGs which provide the main elements they're looking for. Anearth Fantasy Stories does pretty much every aspect of a traditional JRPG unconventionally or not at all and Private Eyedoll is a digi-comic/adventure/detective game.

But if you're also choosing a selection of games for Europe which are English heavy, why include them at all? And if you are, doesn't that make North American exclusive versions of games like Ys I & II (with oscar nominted voice acting and professional localization) all the more significant and worth a damn?

Regardless of whether or not you're choosing 3.5 random genres to fill, how can you omit the single most iconic, best-on-system, exclusive that you just couldn't play anywhere else?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

elmer

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 06:46:07 AM »
Order of the Griffon and Beyond Shadowgate are much more significant than Mr Heli or Gomola Speed. Beyond Shadowgate also represents most of the things you tried to cover and is a much better example of a game that couldn't be done on other 16-bit consoles.

Well, primarily, these lists are effected by personal preferences, even when trying to include a variety of games.

Personally, I'm just not impressed with either Order of the Griffon or Beyond Shadowgate.

I wasn't particularly impressed with ICOM's Amiga games, or Dungeon Master on the Amiga/ST.

So, no, I definitely wouldn't put either of them on a retrospective collection.

But something like Mr Heli, is actually fun to play, and pretty to look at, as well as being an arcade game that wasn't ported to any other 16-bit console.

If you're going to try covering enough genres to either please everyone or represent the PC Engine, you missed out on most of them. What makes the library unique, is the kinds of unique or so-called hybrid games and the types of games which aren't popular in English speaking markets are particularly significant. The platform is known for its variety and you could assemble 20 different types of games which are as different from one another as the few genres which you chose are from each other.

Which is basically just saying that these lists are personal:wink:

Your list was chocked full of RPGs, ARPGs and Digital Comics, and really didn't even slightly try to include a balance of games.

That's OK, but it's funny that you're complaining at me for failing to be balanced-enough when you weren't even being balanced-at-all.

Daimakaimura is a sloppy production, makes poor use of both the base PCE hardware as well as what the SuperGrafx adds and is a far worse port than so many other PCE games. Also, like half of the games you chose, you can play it on other platforms.

Sure, it's not perfect. But, I believe, it's seen as arguably the best of the 16-bit ports of the game.

One aspect of the PCE, was that it was an excellent platform for arcade ports ... so I included some.

By the very nature of that, some other consoles will have got ports of those games. But I tried to pick ones that were iconic and still fun to play.

AFAIK, and I could be wrong, the only games on my list that were available on other 16-bit consoles were Ys I & II, R-Type, Parodius Da!, Daimakaimura, and Lords of Thunder.

And the PCE versions were pretty-much the "classic" versions of those games at the time.

Both R-Type and Ys I & II were marquee titles that helped sell the console and the CD add-on.

Parodius is a debatable choice for a horizontal shooter, but I just find it more interesting than picking any of Konami's or Taito's other standard horizontal arcade shooters.

And you've just got to include Lords of Thunder in a PCE compilation.

Which leaves Daimakaimura. Yep, that's a very debatable choice for a platformer, but I can't think of any others with it's kind of history, looks and appeal.

Although many RPG fans can appreciate games like Ys and Legend of Xanadu, which include RPG elements, you're going to leave them feeling shorted by not including proper RPGs which provide the main elements they're looking for. Anearth Fantasy Stories does pretty much every aspect of a traditional JRPG unconventionally or not at all and Private Eyedoll is a digi-comic/adventure/detective game.

Again, the list is personal, and I don't like traditional random-encounter RPGs. IMHO, they're boring, and haven't aged well.

Ys I & II is iconic ... it's just got to be in a PCE collection, despite the fact that it's not the prettiest or deepest RPG on the system.

The LoX games are there because they're PCE-exclusive, Falcom's first console games, and absolutely excellent, with LoX2 being one of the prettiest RPG games on the PCE.

Anearth is there because it is stunningly beautiful, and Hudson's last RPG on the system. And there's some of that battle-menu stuff to appeal to traditional RPG players. I *believe* that it's considered to be a bit better than the Saturn version, too.

Private Eye Dol is just plain beautiful, and I'm a sucker for graphics. As a digital-comic, it represents another kind of game that was on the PCE.

SamIAm has told me that it also has a really fun and well-written story, at-least for the 1st section. And I trust his judgement and taste.

But if you're also choosing a selection of games for Europe which are English heavy, why include them at all? And if you are, doesn't that make North American exclusive versions of games like Ys I & II (with oscar nominted voice acting and professional localization) all the more significant and worth a damn?

First ... huh? Ys I & II wasn't a North American Exclusive. It was a localization of the Japanese game.

And I included it.

This is all a fantasy ... so the European release of the "mini" gets the localized releases of the games that were translated and available in the US.

And because it's a fantasy, the upcoming translated versions of the LoX and Anearth games get included, too.

If Nintendo can dust off and drag out the unreleased Star Fox 2, then I think that it's fair that we can include fan-translations for the European release of the PCE Mini.  :wink:

Private Eye Dol is definitely a problem when it comes to having an English version available, but screw-it, it's so beautiful, and the Europeans were used to getting grey-imported games that they couldn't understand, so I'm breaking my own "rules"!  :-"

Regardless of whether or not you're choosing 3.5 random genres to fill, how can you omit the single most iconic, best-on-system, exclusive that you just couldn't play anywhere else?

Of course there's room to bump out one or two of the games that are in my list, if I could think of better replacements.

What game would that be?  :-k

MrBroadway

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »
I really feel like I can't properly participate in these threads. For one, I don't know Japanese, so I can't include Japanese RPGs and other text-heavy games in this thread, while in the other one, I want to include so many Japanese games that never made it to the US, like Gradius or Salamander.

esteban

PC Engine Mini coming to Jipang only in 2018!!
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 11:27:01 PM »
I really feel like I can't properly participate in these threads. For one, I don't know Japanese, so I can't include Japanese RPGs and other text-heavy games in this thread, while in the other one, I want to include so many Japanese games that never made it to the US, like Gradius or Salamander.

That's actually the reason you should make a list.

:)

Think about the games that you would love to see. You don't have to have any self-imposed rules (although that can make it more fun/easier if you need to whittle down a massive list).

See, even if I could read Japanese, I don't particularly care for the RPG genre, so Black Tiger's list isn't exactly what I would want, personally.  However, I *do* like that he was delving into a specific genre and identifying games that have been, perhaps, under appreciated (at least outside of Japan, I'm not sure how titles like Neo Metal Fantasy were received and subsequently remembered in Japan) instead of just doing a more generic "Top of Pops" (aka "Top 40" Billboard Charts) that folks tend to submit.

Trivia: I like the vs. fighting genre (Art of Street Fatal Fighting Fury) even *less* than RPGs...see?

For example: I thought someone was going to make a themed list that ONLY included shootemups (I think that would be great, but it's also very predictable...but who cares?)...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:38:26 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

exodus

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 08:17:13 AM »
are there any links to this pc engine mini that's coming? I can't find it.

MrBroadway

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 08:18:55 AM »
are there any links to this pc engine mini that's coming? I can't find it.

Here you go. Make sure to read about the release carefully, though.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 12:32:26 PM »
if i were able to choose  between 20 games for a pc engine mini, id go with the following

ys 1/2
ys 3
pc denjin 1 and 2
winds of thunder
gate of thunder
kato chan and ken chan
dracula x
street fighter 2
bomber man 93 and 94
valkyrie no densetsu
adventure island
wonderboy 3 monster lair
puyo puyo cd
legendary axe
military madness
sapphire
magical chase
neutopia

exodus

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 10:27:13 AM »
Here you go. Make sure to read about the release carefully, though.

well, I'm a dumbo