Author Topic: How well would have other NeoGeo ports fared on the PCE/TG16  (Read 1807 times)

saturndual32

Re: How well would have other NeoGeo ports fared on the PCE/TG16
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »
Would love to have a King Of Fighters game on PCE, but the game has to load 6 characters for the matches, thats beyond the capabilities fo even the Arcade Card. Having long loading times between rounds would totally break the game. Maybe if they simplified it to 1 on 1 matches. Would still be pretty cool.

And would love to have seen Last Resort on the PCE. Would be a nice substitute to RType 2, which the PCE should also have received.

Samurai Spirits for sure, dont mind missing the zooming effect. The effect used on the Art of Fighting port would do fine.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
Unless I missed it in the thread, there were reportedly finished versions of World Heroes 1 & King of the Monsters 2.  Who knows if they'll ever make it into the wild.  I've said it before on these forums, but years ago, when talking to one of WD's Shirley Bros.  He said that they weren't going to release World Heroes, since they were convinced TTI was going to release the Arcade Card & World Heroes 2 in NA, & WD was afraid World Heroes 1 wouldn't sell because of the 2nd game better I guess.  Ironically, King of the Monsters 2 wasn't release, but it turned out it would require the Arcade Card, since as is, it had to load several times within a level with the limitations of the Super CD.

Wish I had a recording of the conversation, incase there's anything I'm forgetting about the conversation.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
Would love to have a King Of Fighters game on PCE, but the game has to load 6 characters for the matches, thats beyond the capabilities fo even the Arcade Card. Having long loading times between rounds would totally break the game. Maybe if they simplified it to 1 on 1 matches. Would still be pretty cool.

And would love to have seen Last Resort on the PCE. Would be a nice substitute to RType 2, which the PCE should also have received.

Samurai Spirits for sure, dont mind missing the zooming effect. The effect used on the Art of Fighting port would do fine.

1) You don't need six chara in RAM at a time with KOF unless it's 2003, which is the only one with full tag available. Load times *are* murder, but that didn't stop Playstations version of KOF from selling very well. Also, have you heard of Neo CD? It has KOF 94-99.

2) why even play Samshow without scaling? It loses all of its atmosphere. Just say Last Blade.

Dicer

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure Blue's journey would have made the trip over just fine.

saturndual32

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 07:15:20 PM »

1) You don't need six chara in RAM at a time with KOF unless it's 2003, which is the only one with full tag available. Load times *are* murder, but that didn't stop Playstations version of KOF from selling very well. Also, have you heard of Neo CD? It has KOF 94-99.

2) why even play Samshow without scaling? It loses all of its atmosphere. Just say Last Blade.

Yeah and load times, i am afraid, would be even worse on PCE AC than on PS1. And KOFs on Neo CD are almost unplayable, and that system has 7MB of RAM!, no comparison. I had a NeoCD, KOF looked and sounded great, but loading times totally crippled the games and other late generation titles. The Neo CD was fine for ports of early Neo games. PS1 and Neo CD ports of KOF were getting mediocre to bad reviews,

No zooming doesnt break Samurai Shodown for me, after all we arent expecting arcade perfect ports on PCE, as long as they play fine, its ok. Megadrive, Mega CD and SNES ports of it were mediocre, each for diferent reasons. A PCE version of the quality of FFS and WH2 would put them to shame. As for the 3DO port, unfortunately, the zooming seems to have killed its frame rate. Its so choppy.

And why would i mention The Last Blade?, first of all, it wasnt around when the PCE was still alive and kicking. Second, it also had zooming AFAIK. And the game is even more hardware intensive than Samurai Showdown.

Anyways, if we are counting games released after the PCE was relevant, then i dont care about the downgrades, i want Metal Slug on the PCE, it needs some run and gun action! Oh and Pulstar too. But i was only mentioning games that came out when PCE was sill supported (by KOF, i meant 94).

Hey, but to each their own, hehe.

Gredler

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »
You think sengoku would be possible? Loved that and have heard about some other beat em ups that would be fun and fill a void of possible.

TheClash603

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 03:32:34 AM »
You think sengoku would be possible? Loved that and have heard about some other beat em ups that would be fun and fill a void of possible.

Sengoku isn't that impressive of a game from a technical standpoint.  I'm not an expert on tech stuff, but just from playing through it, it would appear a port would've been possible.  The sequels on the other hand, I would say those would've been very challenging to port.

Neo Geo turned things up for the sequels.  Baseball Stars could be ported in some way (even if an improved port of the NES port), but part two seems like it would've been very difficult.

esteban

How well would have other NeoGeo ports fared on the PCE/TG16
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 07:18:41 AM »
I would love Magician Lord. And, for sillies, I would want 8man (because I played that all the time at college lounge, too).
  |    | 

TelcoSurveyor

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2017, 11:37:42 AM »
Turbo Turfmasters has a nice ring to it.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »

Yeah and load times, i am afraid, would be even worse on PCE AC than on PS1. And KOFs on Neo CD are almost unplayable, and that system has 7MB of RAM!, no comparison. I had a NeoCD, KOF looked and sounded great, but loading times totally crippled the games and other late generation titles. The Neo CD was fine for ports of early Neo games. PS1 and Neo CD ports of KOF were getting mediocre to bad reviews,

No zooming doesnt break Samurai Shodown for me, after all we arent expecting arcade perfect ports on PCE, as long as they play fine, its ok. Megadrive, Mega CD and SNES ports of it were mediocre, each for diferent reasons. A PCE version of the quality of FFS and WH2 would put them to shame. As for the 3DO port, unfortunately, the zooming seems to have killed its frame rate. Its so choppy.

And why would i mention The Last Blade?, first of all, it wasnt around when the PCE was still alive and kicking. Second, it also had zooming AFAIK. And the game is even more hardware intensive than Samurai Showdown.

Anyways, if we are counting games released after the PCE was relevant, then i dont care about the downgrades, i want Metal Slug on the PCE, it needs some run and gun action! Oh and Pulstar too. But i was only mentioning games that came out when PCE was sill supported (by KOF, i meant 94).

Hey, but to each their own, hehe.

I had KOF 98 for Neo CD when it was a current game and I personally loved it. The load times were brutal but no worse than SFZ1 on PS and everyone loved hat. When you had everything set to run like a cart but with quick loading it was easier. One on one was perfectly fine. The PS1 version is so f*cking murdered I can't even combo in it.

The reason I mentioned Last Blade is because the scaling doesn't matter. The camera is fixed during fighting most of the time. Samshow needs the scaling. It happens all the time and it's way more important. The terrible Takara ports do a good job of showing why fixed camera f*cks the game. On the MD you can't escape your opponent and on the SNES the sprites are so hilariously small you can barely see what moves are being performed. SS1 and 2 might be smaller carts but they need the Neo more than any Neo game. They do not port well. Even monster stupid games like RB2 or Rage of Dragons would probably port better.

It sounds like you'd be happy with shitty game but personally if I blew as much money on an Arcade Card as it costs of buy an entire Super Famicom I'd want something better than the SFC version. Fatal Fury does this for sure, better than any version, possibly even Neo CD. Sadly the Neo's major second wind that came from KOF 95 was too late for any of the stuff to show up on AC.

Black Tiger

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 01:44:52 PM »
I couldn't find any stage or sprite rips from Samurai Showdown during a quick search, so I can't do a mockup, but the PCE is the perfect 16-bit console to do a good-for-consoles version of the game. The PCE can do pretty much any horizontal resolution between its minimum and maximum. So you could have the entire width of the stage visible at all times. It might mean that Earthquake doesn't make the cut, but it would still be a nice addition to fighting games for proper consoles.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

saturndual32

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 05:27:22 PM »
I couldn't find any stage or sprite rips from Samurai Showdown during a quick search, so I can't do a mockup, but the PCE is the perfect 16-bit console to do a good-for-consoles version of the game. The PCE can do pretty much any horizontal resolution between its minimum and maximum. So you could have the entire width of the stage visible at all times. It might mean that Earthquake doesn't make the cut, but it would still be a nice addition to fighting games for proper consoles.
Sounds pretty cool. Hope you can get those Samurai Shodown mockups done.

seieienbu

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 01:13:15 PM »
I've thought about it a lot, and I think that one of my personal favorite Neo titles, Pulstar, wouldn't work well on the PC Engine.  I think that the gameplay would work fine but you would lose a good portion of what made the game so special when porting it to a system with only a bit over 2 Megs of storage.  I think it would go from being something unique to being another shooter on a platform with many excellent ones.  It would lose the sense of style that it carries without the impressive amount of rotations and enemy morphs that were all done with pre rendered sprites.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Black Tiger

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 01:20:45 PM »
I've thought about it a lot, and I think that one of my personal favorite Neo titles, Pulstar, wouldn't work well on the PC Engine.  I think that the gameplay would work fine but you would lose a good portion of what made the game so special when porting it to a system with only a bit over 2 Megs of storage.  I think it would go from being something unique to being another shooter on a platform with many excellent ones.  It would lose the sense of style that it carries without the impressive amount of rotations and enemy morphs that were all done with pre rendered sprites.

I've watched longplays of Pulstar a few times in the past, to be able to pay attention to all of the little things that are happening, while thinking about how a PCE port would turn out. I also tested out various screen shots in PCE color and it suits it well. I don't think that Pulstar would lose too much to ruin the experience and you can already see an impressive amount of rotations and enemy morphs that were all done with pre rendered sprites in Sapphire. The most noticeable change would be scaled back parallax and/or simplified background elements for dynamic tiles.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 01:27:27 PM »
As long as you didn't mind mid-level loading (see: CD versions of Metal Slug) I don't see why Pulstar couldn't work very well. All it's really doing is "lots of animation" on top of R Type. AC games can do "lots of animation" pretty well and we all know the PCE works with R Type.