Author Topic: PC-FX GA Brand New  (Read 5889 times)

BTD

PC-FX GA Brand New
« on: October 14, 2017, 02:49:15 PM »
This is pretty damn cool if I do say so myself.

I imagine most of you guys know what this is.

Turn your PC-98 computer into a PCFX.

This has the ability and software to create your own pcfx games.

$150

UPDATE: https://www.gofundme.com/burn-a-pcfxga-in-my-backyard

PICS : https://imgur.com/a/q1ABA
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:38:29 PM by BTD »

esteban

Re: PC-FX GA Brand New
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 01:29:04 AM »
Any additional info you can provide would be wonderful...

http://archives.tg-16.com/Dengeki_PC_Engine_1996_04.htm

The pack-in software...

The installation of hardware...

Any neat notices/documents/disclaimers/warnings....troubleshooting...
  |    | 

BTD

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 01:35:22 AM »
Any additional info you can provide would be wonderful...

http://archives.tg-16.com/Dengeki_PC_Engine_1996_04.htm

The pack-in software...

The installation of hardware...

Any neat notices/documents/disclaimers/warnings....troubleshooting...

Luke Morse does a great YouTube video on it : https://youtu.be/Y_eq_rjmcqk

elmer

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 05:25:00 AM »

It's a nice un-boxing video that shows the package contents, but he's not very accurate on the actual details, i.e. it really wasn't a popular board at all.

When I was looking a couple of years ago, they weren't that uncommon on Yahoo Japan, even in brand-new condition (IIRC there was a large stock of unsold units).

The specs on the box show the minimum specs for the PC-9801/PC-9821 computer that you plug it into, for a start.

So ... you need a late-generation Japanese NEC PC-9801, or a PC-9821 computer (not an IBM PC).

Unless you've got one of those, which are pretty darned expensive in the USA, it's just a big paper-weight.

The PC-FXGA DOS/V (green box) is the ISA-card version of the same thing that plugs into an old IBM PC-compatible (with approx the same specs).

BTD

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:03:33 AM »

It's a nice un-boxing video that shows the package contents, but he's not very accurate on the actual details, i.e. it really wasn't a popular board at all.

When I was looking a couple of years ago, they weren't that uncommon on Yahoo Japan, even in brand-new condition (IIRC there was a large stock of unsold units).

The specs on the box show the minimum specs for the PC-9801/PC-9821 computer that you plug it into, for a start.

So ... you need a late-generation Japanese NEC PC-9801, or a PC-9821 computer (not an IBM PC).

Unless you've got one of those, which are pretty darned expensive in the USA, it's just a big paper-weight.

The PC-FXGA DOS/V (green box) is the ISA-card version of the same thing that plugs into an old IBM PC-compatible (with approx the same specs).

Maybe I incorrectly assumed I didn't have to explain what this is... Here of all places.

I don't think anyone here is a stranger to odd Japanese hardware.

Sounds like it's not for you, but don't threadcrap calling it a paperweight.

elmer

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 06:11:05 PM »
Maybe I incorrectly assumed I didn't have to explain what this is... Here of all places.

Actually, not here everyone knows all the details of everything that NEC made, especially in the PC-FX realm.

If Esteban, with 23K posts is asking questions, then, perhaps, it's not a bad idea for me to clarify things, especially since you've not posted this in the "PC-FX Sales & Trades" section.

Nope, it's definitely not for me.

I already own a PC-FXGA DOS/V ... and actually have it working, which it doesn't look like you ever did with your PC-FXGA PC-9800.

You're the guy that claims that what you're selling "Turn your PC-98 computer into a PCFX." and "This has the ability and software to create your own pcfx games.".

Errrr ... Nope.

It actually doesn't really (in practice) do either of those, and if you'd got it working, you'd know that.

But instead, everything looks sealed, and you're pointing to a video with an authority-figure that didn't get his working either.

For both of you, it's just a cool-looking conversation-starting shelf-candy paperweight.

If you can actually refute what I said, then please go ahead. I'd love to be corrected.

Please tell me how you've either got that PC-FXGA working to play games without a compatible PC-98xx system, or how you are getting cheap cheap 486+SCSI-CD NEC PC-98 systems imported from Japan into the USA.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 07:32:48 PM »
First:  This should be moved to the PC-FX sales area

Next, I am baffled at how Esteban doesn't know about any of this, considering these/this/etc. has come up here before, and he has posted in those threads before, lol. 

Third: FFS Elmer, stop being a tool.

It's not completely inaccurate to say it "turns your PC98 into an FX".   It's just leaving out the part that it's an unwieldy pain in the ass by today's standards, and that it requires a certain caliber of PC-98 for it to actually work.

However, anyone who had any actual interest in buying and using a thing clearly labeled for a PC-98 probably already imported a PC-98 of the required specs because they probably wanted to play later games.   Not many people go through the effort of importing a PC98 just to get a garbage one.

and they likely did it back before it was expensive outside of shipping costs.   Like, pre Falling Junk era pricing even.

and even then, they probably paid for the "put it on a boat and see it in 6 months" rate that cost like 40$ at the time.

EDIT:  Also, the thread's title is "PC-FX GA Brand New."   

So, of course the seller didn't open and get any of it working.   You don't need to dive too far into the thread or put on your thinking cap to deduce something that's stated before you even get into the thread itself, lol.

Might want to calm down and catch onto obvious shit like that before you put the pedal to the metal with the "I know stuff" routine.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:34:43 PM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

turboswimbz

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 02:39:12 AM »
Guys come on Esty is a history guy.  He's always asking anyone for any bits of information and scan material he can save, even if it's all stuff he already has or have been said before.  It's not that he doesn't know at all . . . Don't do the Le Grafx like that

Also at Esty's 23K posts how can he he keep track of anything.  I am amazed the guy even knows what thread he's in.  I keep expecting one day to find a post about toe jam in the PC-FX repair section and an insightful post on modern politics influence from shooters of the late 80's  in a Ys thread. 

I always found the 88's/98's interesting and also this card.   Would be neat to see someone put it to use (and maybe Share) Either Way a relatively fair price, I hope a PCE lover gets it and enjoys it, even as a paperweight!.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 03:22:46 AM »
Thread moved.  It's best not to be a condescending ass when you've already failed yourself.

Come down off your high horse.  Esteban and Elmer aren't 100% ignorant of what it is; they were asking for additional information, but I guess you can't be bothered to oblige.  Thanks for being such a standup, helpful member of the community, and pimping your ebay wares here.... in the wrong subforum.

Honestly, it will be a paperweight for 99% of prospective buyers.  Even the 'normal' PC-FX is little more than a conversation piece for many owners, at least once they've sampled a few games and been scared off by the strong gaijin protection.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

BTD

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 03:55:10 AM »
Thread moved.  It's best not to be a condescending ass when you've already failed yourself.

Come down off your high horse.  Esteban and Elmer aren't 100% ignorant of what it is; they were asking for additional information, but I guess you can't be bothered to oblige.  Thanks for being such a standup, helpful member of the community, and pimping your ebay wares here.... in the wrong subforum.

Honestly, it will be a paperweight for 99% of prospective buyers.  Even the 'normal' PC-FX is little more than a conversation piece for many owners, at least once they've sampled a few games and been scared off by the strong gaijin protection.  :lol:

You know what, f*ck it.

Delete the thread. What a bunch of f*cking little girls.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 04:53:36 AM »
So...why would anyone expect additional information to come from someone listing something as "brand new"?   

I don't think in 2017 we need to rely on someone like that to provide any additional information when there's already enough information out there on the things.

Esteban will probably get new-old information and ask for it next time again or something, and Elmer doesn't really need the info since he didn't actually ask for any.

BTD wasn't wrong when he opened up saying "I imagine most of you know what this is.".

Pretty much anyone buying it is either:

A) Going to stare at it with no intent of unsealing it because they don't know what the hell it is other than a PC-FX doodad.

B) Planning on hooking it up to their PC98 they already own and know things about, so they can go "Wow this is a mess, I have no idea what I am doing!" , followed by basically becoming person A.

I think the more important thing is, if LukeMorse's video is really inaccurate, let's hear all the corrections.

I didn't watch the video and don't really feel like watching it TBH.   

It probably gives enough of an overview to let you know what it is, though and I wouldn't be shocked if Elmer's just being pedantic / exaggerating.

I think BTD saying "it's not for you" is more to the effect of "you're clearly not interested in buying it", which is fair.

Speaking of fair,

150$ for a completely unmolested one that's still got sealed stuff isn't necessarily an awful price especially if it's shipping stateside. 

EDIT: And subquestion, what is a standup member of the community anymore?  I've been seeing some pretty moronic shit from people who are "standup" members here, being total assclowns elsewhere.  (Elsewhere meaning: FB, and Twitter).    It's like they kiss ass here, and smear shit on the walls everywhere else.

Shits going south pretty quick these days, lol.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:55:12 AM by Arkhan »

turboswimbz

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 05:17:44 AM »

I think BTD saying "it's not for you" is more to the effect of "you're clearly not interested in buying it", which is fair.

Speaking of fair,

150$ for a completely unmolested one that's still got sealed stuff isn't necessarily an awful price especially if it's shipping stateside. 

EDIT: And subquestion, what is a standup member of the community anymore?  I've been seeing some pretty moronic shit from people who are "standup" members here, being total assclowns elsewhere.  (Elsewhere meaning: FB, and Twitter).    It's like they kiss ass here, and smear shit on the walls everywhere else.

Shits going south pretty quick these days, lol.

I agree on the price!  I would have bought it if i had Use for it other than decoration.

Ark.  That's a good point I have seen a lot of crap lately. I don't even few the facebook groups anymore.

P.S.
Also I feel like BTD has been a fair member.  I can't remember his prices/post ever being crazy.  Yes it's been mostly to trade/sell/buy but to be honest, like 90% of the forums/FB/Twitter are that.  I've got to say I feel like everyone kinda went overboard here, and BTD kinda got steam rolled.       
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 05:22:36 AM »
If I didn't sell my PC98 like 9 years ago because it was a giant space eating whore next to my Apple IIe and PC88 (Apple IIe is next to gtfo), I would buy this probably

and rip the packages open and accidentally rip paperwork and stuff because I hate sealed things and everyone.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 06:27:14 AM »
So when people ask for more info. and say the GA isn't very useful (which is pretty accurate) and get told that they're stupid threadcrappers, it's the OP that's the victim?  :lol:

So...why would anyone expect additional information to come from someone listing something as "brand new"?   

Part of what was asked for was what all was included in the box; it's not a sealed box, so he certainly could've explained what all it came with and/or shown more pics.

Also, it's possible that it's duplicate hardware and he has extensive first hand knowledge of how the thing works, even if this particular copy hasn't been used.  Surely he knows everything there is to know about it, right?  Nobody would buy one otherwise.  :roll:

I don't think in 2017 we need to rely on someone like that to provide any additional information when there's already enough information out there on the things.

We don't have to rely on him, sure, but neither is it inappropriate to ask for more info.  If you, BTD, or anyone else wants a one-way street where nobody can pose questions or comments, lock your f*cking threads.

I think the more important thing is, if LukeMorse's video is really inaccurate, let's hear all the corrections.

He says it has the same capabilities of the console, completely ignoring the 3D hardware.

He says repeatedly that it was wildly popular and lots of "amazing" homebrew games were made for it, and the only reason we don't see any of it is because of the language barrier.

He says repeatedly that it's for "PCs", which is rather misleading.  The PC-98 is a PC, of course, but the GA only works on a small subset of PC-98s, which is itself a tiny subset of all PCs.

There's also what he fails to mention, namely that there's three different versions.

I didn't watch the video and don't really feel like watching it TBH.

Yeah, why bother?  It's more important to tell elmer he's wrong than actually watch and see for yourself.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 06:52:46 AM »
I didn't tell Elmer he was wrong.   I was just telling him to quit being a tool.  Doesn't mean he's totally wrong. 

I was asking for why he said LM was wrong since he already watched the video.  elmer only mentioned one example of inaccuracy, implying he had a bunch of other stuff he could say.  Having low expectations doesn't mean I'm saying he's wrong, either.  It's just expecting semantics/nitpicking, but if there's actual wrong things, cool, lets hear them.    It's valid and useful for the thread, considering the video was linked and is now part of the discussion.

I don't really watch any of LukeMorse's videos.   I don't like watching videos of people rambling and holding stuff up.

If someone else already did the legwork on that, I'd rather just ask.    It's not like Elmer is shy about posting things like that, anyways.   The OP posted the video, so I thought that pretty much confirmed he isn't going to be providing alot of information himself, and removes any doubt on if this is a second one and he's already well versed in one that he's been using...

Again with Esteban though, I am confused, because I swear he's already commented in threads about this stuff and already knows stuff.    I get optimistically wanting more information to the point of impossibility, but I really would've expected him to know better given that he was participating in a much more detailed thread already...

Surely he knows everything there is to know about it, right?  Nobody would buy one otherwise.  :roll:

Cute snark and eyeroll, but I already covered those as "Person A". 

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:00:13 AM by Arkhan »