Author Topic: HD Remasters/Rereleases  (Read 958 times)

bartre

Re: HD Remasters/Rereleases
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 03:38:42 PM »
Resident Evil REmake was a great rerelease of a rerelease. Then Capcom has rereleased RE0, RE4,RE5,RE6, RECVX.

REmake is my favorite and I was thrilled when it got released. There is a RE2 remake in the works. That has been silent since its announcement.

Since you bring it up...
Resident Evil 4 HD, at least on PC, as an interesting issue caused by the increased framerate.
it gives you roughly half the time to respond to QTEs.
this means that I couldn't do most of the mashing sections....

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 09:28:10 PM »
I don’t really like many remakes. Galaga ‘88 aside, of course. Most of the ones I’ve played seem to lack something from the original. This is to be expected I guess. Unless the original had some genuine flaw it can’t be exciting to make the same thing again and usually the work is outsourced. This is true of almost any port of  great game.

I think the controller has a lot to do with it. If I’ve already spent 50 hours controlling a thing with another thing then that thing is forever part of my memories of that game. Since Sony doesn’t change their controller I can see a lot of things moving from PS to PS4 and feeling more connected to the original because the controller is too. If I played something first on one pad then unless it was a shit pad (3DO, Dreamcast) then adapting to the new pad is usually going to be the first thing on the agenda...usually trying to figure out which three of the 14 damned buttons you need to keep track of, often times.

I do like Galaga ‘88 a lot though. Donkey Kong ‘94 is all-time great. I like Final Fantasy 1 for Wondedswan. I know there are some others...

TDIRunner

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 04:13:55 AM »
I definitely agree with the comment about using a different controller.  That was the biggest thing that kept me from enjoying Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes.  The GameCube controller does not work well for that type of game. 

Speaking of which, the Metal Gear HD remakes aren't too bad either and they tend to come with a lot of games packed together for a decent price.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 07:29:49 PM »
I agree regarding the remake of Resident Evil 1 on the GameCube. I'm still shocked (positively
 speaking) by how good it looks for today's standards. Also, it plays pretty well even on the GameCube controller with the tiny d-pad. Even though I used the Hori Digital Controller most of the time.

The Perfect Dark remaster on Xbox 360 stays very true to original game. The framerate has taken a big step forward, being now steady instead of the stuttering known on the N64, which helps a lot with aiming and reacting to enemy movements. Still, I'm not 100% confident on the dual analog controls, since I've put more than 100 hours into the original game and am very used to use the C-buttons for strafing and aiming while moving. The remake offers a variety of control schemes, but none of them replicates the original scheme.

I f*cking love Twin Snakes. I see the shortcoming of having no select button and no clicky analog sticks on the GameCube controller, but it is still easy getting used to the controls, answer codec calls and drop uncocked weapons in FPS aiming mode like a pro.

I think you can call Valis 1 on PCE Super CD a remake made very well.
The same I can say about Super Mario All Stars on SNES - even though it is more a port with graphical enhancements, similar to Perfect Dark and those numerous HD remasters/ports on PS3 and PS4, which aren't really remakes in the sense I'm talking about.

I'm not so sure about Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo DS - I haven't played it yet, but I have a hard time thinking about how this game plays with a d-pad only, no analog joystick at hand.

The GoldenEye remake looks shamefully uninspired to me. I've played the demo and had a look at a Youtube longplay, and I can't get me to like it.

Remakes I usually do not care for are those that simply port 2D sprite based games into 3D polygonal environments. They look worse that way and do not play as pixel-perfect like the original ones. There are countless examples of this style out there, and I guess you've all experienced them one way or another.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:55:16 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

seieienbu

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 07:37:16 PM »
I generally like it when older 3D games are rereleased mostly the same but with higher resolution graphics and changed from 4x3 to 16x9 where applicable.  Final Fantasy 10 springs to mind here; the HD Remaster looks incredible when compared to the original.  You could see the texture maps much better as they fade into the distance, the characters looked much less jagged and cleaner, and

On the other hand, I generally don't like when 2D games are redone in a similar fashion.  Street Fighter 2: HD Remixis the first game I think about here.  Rather than the classy backgrounds and sprite work from the original SF2 you have weird looking artwork that just doesn't quite work.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

TDIRunner

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 03:24:54 AM »

The GoldenEye remake looks shamefully uninspired to me. I've played the demo and had a look at a Youtube longplay, and I can't get me to like it.

I enjoyed GoldenEye Reloaded on the PS3, but I have a hard time calling it a remake.  To me, it's more of a modern FPS that was inspired by the original.   Fun game, but hard to compare to the original. 
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 05:29:56 AM »
You have a point there.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

nopepper

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 06:10:54 AM »
I hate Shadow of the Colossus.
I've said it elsewhere, but I hate it enough that it bears repeating
What a shame. Why is that? THe controls?

It's so boring and so empty.
like, all there is to really do is kill lizards or colossi.
only one of those is necessary.

also, I don't care for the art style, it just looked washed out to me.
Although I didn't necessarily hate it, I did lose interest halfway through and find it very overrated. I reckon it is mostly loved by people who played it upon release, when it was a novel concept, so nostalgia plays a role. I first played it in the PS3 remake right after beating ICO and found it way too barren and ultimately, boring.

Now Ico, on the other hand, that game is great, with beautiful art style, clever puzzles and perfect length.

I played through Resident Evil 4 Wii remake and thought it was excellent. After adjusting to the controls, I find it hard to go back to the Gamecube version.

Lost Monkey

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »

I'm not so sure about Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo DS - I haven't played it yet, but I have a hard time thinking about how this game plays with a d-pad only, no analog joystick at hand.

It was the first 1st party Nintendo game for the DS that I absolutely hated.   The control scheme made the game unplayable (IMO).  It uses the touchscreen as an 'analogue' controller and fails miserably...

Medic_wheat

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 12:17:37 PM »
Well the PS4 seems to have 50 re-releases and HD ports or remasteres.

Some just PS VITA ports.

Bet there is a sizable list there.

Not including GOY and Definitive editions.

bartre

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 09:15:59 PM »

It was the first 1st party Nintendo game for the DS that I absolutely hated.   The control scheme made the game unplayable (IMO).  It uses the touchscreen as an 'analogue' controller and fails miserably...

I recall back when the DS first came out, a friend of mine had a wrist strap with an oddly shaped bit on the end.
it was to go between your thumb and the touchscreen so that you could use it via the analog stick.
other than obviously having to stretch your hand, it made the DS game a lot better.

i'd still rather play Sonic Adventure though.