Author Topic: Just got into the Wonderswan/Colour and wanna talk about it  (Read 4477 times)

Michirin9801

Just got into the Wonderswan/Colour and wanna talk about it
« on: November 17, 2017, 08:12:10 AM »
I'll assume you already know what a Wonderswan is and what it looks like, if not just look it up...

You know, what first attracted me to the Wonderswan was its sound, it's basically the same kind of sound as the PC engine's PSG, except with only 4 channels instead of 6 and the waveforms are only 4 bit as opposed to 5 bit, but it still sounds fairly close, and I'm just glad to be able to play more 16 bit games that I hadn't played before with a similar sound to the PCE!

The first game I've played on the system was Guilty Gear Petit 2, which if you know me wouldn't be surprising at all, and oh my gosh what a start! My first impression was: "I should have tried this sooner!"
Needless to say I loved it! The controls are very responsive, it's really easy to combo in this game, but it's still fairly challenging, and the CPU will catch on if you spam the same move over and over and act accordingly! I've managed to beat it a few times and I'll definitely be playing this again and again!
The only problems I've had with this game are that the music isn't great, but it's passable, and the backgrounds are kind of ugly with an excessive use of dithering... The sprites are pretty nice though, I think they could be better-animated, but they're pretty cute!
This is an uncommonly good handheld fighter, very much worth playing if you're a fan of the genre!

After that I've played the first Guilty Gear Petit, and let's just say that it's basically the same game as the second, but worse in almost every way, it's not bad at all, but the sound effects are weaker, the controls are stiffer, it's harder to combo, but it's somehow a much easier game than the second because the CPU AI isn't as good... I'll give it this though, the backgrounds in this version are better than in the 2nd game! They've used dithering more sparingly so it looks much cleaner and more pleasing to the eyes, it's still there but its use makes much more sense now... Just stick with the 2nd game...

The next game I tried was Gunpey EX, which is the colour variant of the most famous game on the system, and you know, I'm not a big fan of puzzle games, but this one is pretty fun and very addictive! The concept is so simple, you just have to connect the two sides of the screen with lines by swapping tiles around, but the tiles move up and you have to keep them from reaching the top of the screen, you get extra points by connecting the two sides with multiple lines, this is one of the games that you have to play with the system in portrait mode, nice music too, even if it's all just pulse waves...

I'll try to keep the next few impressions brief for the sake of not bloating this post too much:

Pocket Fighter: Another quality fighter on the system! Shame it's not in colour... This is also one of the better-sounding games on the system, very nice music! (Even if it often relies on square waves) Loved it!

Rainbow Islands: It's played in Portrait mode, and it's not in colour (kind of ironic considering the title)
It's basically what you'd expect gameplay-wise, except you play as an anime girl instead of Eric Cartman, and there's a lot of dialogue that I can't read in between stages... Not bad! But they could have used more waveforms than just Square waves...

Makaimura: It's not a straight port of Ghosts and Goblins, it's its own original game in the series, and it's pretty good! It's only in black and white though, and the music could be better... It has parallax scrolling though! Did I mention the system has 2 BG layers? Yeah, but they often used the 2nd layer for the HUD so you still don't see parallax very often...

Rockman & Forte: Again, not a straight port of the SNES game, it's another original game in the series, and it's fine I guess... I'll certainly pick it over the NES games but I don't see myself returning to this one anytime soon... If you like Megaman though, you might like this one! B&W only, and it has parallax as well...

Star Hearts: A beautiful-looking and very nice-sounding Zelda clone where you control a native-american-looking boy or girl, there's a little too much dialogue for my liking, but I could still find my way to the first dungeon even without reading any of it... I wish the screen scrolled though, yeah it's flip-screen kinda like Zelda 1 and Neutopia, but it's still pretty good!

Mr. Driller: This was my introduction to the series, it's pretty nice! You just drill downwards as much as you can while trying not to run out of air or get crushed by falling blocks...

One Piece Grand Battle Swan Colosseum: It's an one-on-one platforming fighting game with VERY smooth animations! Very well-done graphics, don't remember the sound very well... It's fun enough, I'd rather it be a traditional fighting game, but it's not bad at all...

Beat Mania: No, I'm not kidding, they've ported this to the WonderSwan, and it's actually really damn impressive! They're playing relatively high quality PCM audio on the WonderSwan, and it sounds good! This is another one that's played in portrait mode, B&W only, I sucked at it, but yeah, it's a thing that exists, and I like it!

Final Lap Special: Impressive graphics, amusing for 2 minutes... If you like Final Lap Twin you might get a kick out of this, I don't think there's an RPG mode though... No music during gameplay, what a bummer!

Golden Axe: Sucks... But then again, I've never liked Golden Axe so I might not be the best person to judge this one...

Final Fantasy IV: This is basically the closest we've got to Final Fantasy IV on the PCE, everything you'd expect from a PCE port of that game is in here, it's only in Japanese though so of course, I couldn't go very far, but the music is nice! (Not SNES nice, but then again, what is?)

CardCaptor Sakura: OMG THEY MADE A CHIPTUNE VERSION OF CATCH YOU CATCH ME~♥
Not just that song, a lot of the show's soundtrack was covered, which means I had an unhealthy amount of fangasms, eargasms and nostalgiagasms in quick succession... Can you blame me though? This was my childhood anime! I just LOOOOVE Sakura~♥
Anyway, the game is basically Galaxy Fraulein Yuna but with a (black and white) Cardcaptor Sakura coat of paint, in other words, a text/graphic adventure game with barely any meaningful interactions where you just play to see the characters that you loved from the show doing their thing, except you can't read anything if you don't know Japanese, and you're gonna win anyway because the closest thing to a fail-state is losing a battle, which I haven't yet... I still love it though, but for the same reason why I love the Yuna games, not because it's a good game, but because I get to see more of the characters I was already attached to, and hear awesome music while I'm at it~♥

I've played some more games, but none that are note-worthy as of the time I'm making this post... I'd post some videos with soundtracks as well but there's barely any Wonderswan soundtracks on YouTube...

Oh well, just check these videos if you wanna see the thing in action:

So yeah, I've only just had a couple of days with the WonderSwan, but I feel that I've just found my new favourite non-Nintendo handheld! Not like there was much competition anyways... (No, I'm not counting the Nomad and the TurboExpress, those are a different can of worms)
For the record, I've also played the Game Gear, the Neo Geo Pocket Colour and the PSP, and of those the PSP was far and away the best one, but you know, the Wonderswan has that 16 bit appeal that I love so much~
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:15:16 AM by Michirin9801 »

SignOfZeta

Re: Just got into the Wonderswan/Colour and wanna talk about it
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 08:51:49 AM »
Man, that’s a good selection of games. You kinda have most of the stuff.

Wonderswan is 32-bit, btw.

The One Piece game was basically a prototype for the Jump fighting games on DS which are great.

I like Magical Drop a lot. It’s b/w but otherwise very impressive. The NGP version is in color but the res is so much lower and all the characters look like fan art.

I also like Final Fantasy 1. It uses the spell system from the NES ver rather than magic points like all the other ports. The graphics look like SFC in wide screen.

Michirin9801

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »
Is it? Oh well... It does have 4bpp graphics though, and again, similar sound to the PCE, so even if it isn't 16 bit, like the PCE itself isn't, it still has that '16 bit appeal', you know what I mean...

But yeah, I've yet to play its version of FF1, but I've seen it so I know what to expect, I've played a LOT of Magical Drop on the SNES so this version sounds appealing enough to me!

ccovell

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 09:50:32 AM »
I put my feelings about the WonderSwan near the end of a video I made that shows an educational portable that re-purposed the WS hardware:

HuMan

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
My story with the Wonderswan goes like this:

Buys FF2-themed WonderSwan Color and a plain B&W system with a random assortment of games, some RPGs, some anime games, Rockman & Forte, GunPey... Sold it all out of disinterest.

A year later, notices there's a WonderSwan flash cart, buys it along with a SwanCrystal, tries out the best games the WonderSwan has to offer, sells it all out of disinterest.

Out of all the WS stuff I've had pass through my hands, I've only kept a blue WonderSwan Color and a complete copy of GunPey which is my favorite game for it. I wouldn't mind having One Piece Swan Colosseum again though. I also have a really beat up B&W WS but who would want it if I sold it?

The recurring theme in my experience is despite the cool hardware, there's hardly anything worthwhile to play on the WonderSwan. The glut of anime games and RPGs have a high language barrier and the usual suspect games from Capcom, Namco, Taito, Koei etc are typically expensive and generally speaking aren't worth writing home about. The flash cart makes the truly best games like Judgement Silversword affordable to play, but hardly any of it really stuck with me as must-haves. The only great exclusives I enjoyed were GunPey and One Piece Swan Colosseum.

Michirin9801

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:42:51 AM »
Interesting, I'd never heard about these educational hardware variant things before...
You know, to be fair, I'm emulating the system, so I'm not having the most 'authentic' Wonderswan experience, but the games I have played on the system are pretty good for the most part! Shame the system itself doesn't seem to be of such high quality...

Although I kind of agree with the NGPC being kinda crap, I've played it quite a bit, and I found it to be rather underwhelming... The thing is that it's a supposed to be a "very capable" handheld for its time, and while it can put big sprites on-screen, and animate them pretty well, the graphics are pretty bleh for the most part, only 2bpp, most sprites are just black, white and a 3rd custom colour, so it generally doesn't look any better than what you can do on the GBC, even with its two BG layers, in fact, I've seen a few GBC games that look way better and are far more impressive than NGPC games, and the sound is weak, only square waves! It sounds like a Master System, the Game Boy sounds way better, and the Wonderswan even better than that! (Emulated at least)

Also
I looked it up, it has a 16 bit NEC V30 MZ @ 3.072MHz ;3

Michirin9801

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 10:46:55 AM »
@HuMan I see... Well, thankfully I found some stuff on the system that I like, and my impressions are very positive thus far ;3

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »
I love the Wonderswan. I just wish it was backlit.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

Michirin9801

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 11:01:28 AM »
I love the Wonderswan. I just wish it was backlit.
I know how it is... I also wish the original GBA model was... At least I got an SP AGS-101 ;3

Gredler

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »
I also wish the original GBA model was... At least I got an SP AGS-101 ;3

The mod to put a light into the GBA original model is easish, I did it twice bitd and still have 2 after burners and 4 replacement screens for GBA. I love that system.

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
Wonderswan Color is great with a nice balance of aesthetics that appeals to 16-bit fans. It's worth getting just to play the Final Fantasy games, particularly I & II.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Michirin9801

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 12:15:48 PM »
Wonderswan Color is great with a nice balance of aesthetics that appeals to 16-bit fans. It's worth getting just to play the Final Fantasy games, particularly I & II.
At least those two were fan-translated! I'd say it's worth it for more than just that though, see the original post...

blueraven

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »
It was one of the first systems that the local place around me imported games for... And I think they lasted for maybe 3 months before the neo geo pocket color came out and everyone traded them in.

I honestly never got enough into the system to actually sit down and play it so this thread is all a learning experience for me. I was also about 11 and completely broke when it hit, and at about $50 per game that was almost impossible.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Michirin9801

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
It was one of the first systems that the local place around me imported games for... And I think they lasted for maybe 3 months before the neo geo pocket color came out and everyone traded them in.

People traded the Wonderswan in for the NGPC? Wow... I'd have done the opposite, but then again, I have hindsight (and emulation) in my favour >w>';

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »
Interesting, I'd never heard about these educational hardware variant things before...
You know, to be fair, I'm emulating the system, so I'm not having the most 'authentic' Wonderswan experience, but the games I have played on the system are pretty good for the most part! Shame the system itself doesn't seem to be of such high quality...

Although I kind of agree with the NGPC being kinda crap, I've played it quite a bit, and I found it to be rather underwhelming... The thing is that it's a supposed to be a "very capable" handheld for its time, and while it can put big sprites on-screen, and animate them pretty well, the graphics are pretty bleh for the most part, only 2bpp, most sprites are just black, white and a 3rd custom colour, so it generally doesn't look any better than what you can do on the GBC, even with its two BG layers, in fact, I've seen a few GBC games that look way better and are far more impressive than NGPC games, and the sound is weak, only square waves! It sounds like a Master System, the Game Boy sounds way better, and the Wonderswan even better than that! (Emulated at least)

Also
I looked it up, it has a 16 bit NEC V30 MZ @ 3.072MHz ;3

I guess I don't know where I got the impression otherwise...sorry.

But hey, did you just say the Neo Geo Pocket was "crap"? Are you suffering from a massive head injury or something? Doesn't look any better than the GBC?!? You're nuts. Nuts. If its 1999 and you're buying games for both systems every month the difference is like chocolate and shit. I loved the GBC, but comparing it to NGP is...like I said, nuts. Its like comparing Genesis to Neo Geo. A subtle difference if any to the novice but very obvious to the game literate.