Author Topic: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?  (Read 3397 times)

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
Re: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »
To me, Kirby 64 is just a tad too slow and graphically unappealing, even when compared to NES' Kirby's Adventure.

I can agree with your statement about Yoshi's Story.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
no, when I reply with "it sucks", that means it sucks.

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy something that sucks.  The people enjoying it admit it sucks too.  Taco Bell sucks and we all eat it.

If you want to imply new meanings to justify your eyeroll emoji, that's not our problem. 

Okay.  :roll:

I just don't get it.   The PS1 and Saturn were cranking out 2D games and they were still being bought left and right.   Why'd Nintendo basically go "f*ck that shit.  we need some really crapped up 3D instead"

Probably for the same reason Sony denied 2D games for so long to NA or why NEC pushed FMV with the PC-FX: they thought they knew what the consumer wanted and were reluctant to admit they're wrong...  kinda like some people here.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2017, 09:37:22 AM »
Probably for the same reason Sony denied 2D games for so long to NA or why NEC pushed FMV with the PC-FX: they thought they knew what the consumer wanted and were reluctant to admit they're wrong...  kinda like some people here.  :lol:

Yeah I'm wrong about your made up scenario while the rest of us are just talking about the n64 and stuff. 

lol. nailed it.   

PS1 had a steady stream of 2D games from launch onward, anyways, didn't it?  Were there large gaps between JP vs. NA releases for games outside of the usual translation delays?

My problem with Kirby 64 is that it was fugly. It lost all of it's crisp, cartoony look in favor of jaggedLand and the Blurbushes.

So it plays OK but looks terrible, so you wonder why you're even playing it.

I think that's one of the most disappointing things is the n64 has all the cartridgey-feelies you expect, but then you're bombarded with ass-visuals mostly.

EDIT: You know what else was disappointing?

Castlevania 64.

I borrowed my friends n64 to play that and couldn't believe how sad that shit made me feel.  I wanted to like it, but it basically felt like a rollercoaster that goes up really high for a second, and then just turns into a monorail until you slash your throat and jump off the side of it
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:39:49 AM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

lukester

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
It's still kinda surprising not enough people who've played C64 have played Legacy of Darkness.

It's no SOTN but it's significantly better than Castlevania 64, adds a bunch of new levels and characters, even fixes that godawful camera.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
I have that one.  It's still so sluggish and irritating to play at times.

I like what it was trying to do though, and admittedly would play that before I play f*ckin OOT.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2017, 10:09:18 AM »
Yeah I'm wrong about your made up scenario while the rest of us are just talking about the n64 and stuff. 

lol. nailed it.   

Yep, I totally made it up where nopepper said repeatedly "its not great but at least it's not a Jaguar" and you kept going with "wrong, it sucks." 

#AlternativeFacts  :lol:

PS1 had a steady stream of 2D games from launch onward, anyways, didn't it?  Were there large gaps between JP vs. NA releases for games outside of the usual translation delays?

Google it.  There's no shortage of articles about SCEA rejecting 2D games, even on PS2 and PSP.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2017, 10:25:21 AM »
Yep, I totally made it up where nopepper said repeatedly "its not great but at least it's not a Jaguar" and you kept going with "wrong, it sucks." 

The point is that if the only way to make something seem OK is to compare it to something worse, or go "at least it's cheap", it means it sucks.

You can enjoy it all you want.  It still sucks. 

It's relative greatness when you compare it to even bigger trainwrecks.  That doesn't make it actually good.

Those cheap hotdogs on 1$ hotdog day at baseball stadiums f*cking suck, and everyone goes and grabs a ton of them and has fun enjoying the suck.  "Who cares if they suck!  ITS CHEAP! f*ck YEAH!"

It's a thing. 

I think we're all in agreement that the thing f*cking sucks even if we can manage to find a few things to play on it that don't make us want to jackhammer our eyes, and the only reason we've even reached the point where we can find fleeting moments of enjoyment is because the games are dirt cheap, or we can emulate them.

If we had to pay retail, or worse, collector prices, nobody here would be like

YEAHOOOOO N64.

We'd all be wondering why people are paying 300$ for shitty games.

Google it.  There's no shortage of articles about SCEA rejecting 2D games, even on PS2 and PSP.

Interesting.

There were enough good 2D games back then that I never noticed I guess.   

Rayman, klonoa, tomba, .. legacy of kain,  Does Star Ocean 2 count as 2D?

Oddworld!

There were alot of cool games that didn't use 3D, or only used it sort-of.

Megaman 8 sucked.   Totally wish I didn't buy that.  I picked it over X4 like a moron.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:27:30 AM by Arkhan »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2017, 11:59:39 AM »

I forgot this was a thing lol.

I tried to find Irritating Stick but only found PSX videos with people not talking thru the gameplay.

that game was funny, especially because you'd swear its talking about the n64 controller.

nopepper

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2017, 01:27:18 AM »

I think we're all in agreement that the thing f*cking sucks even if we can manage to find a few things to play on it that don't make us want to jackhammer our eyes, and the only reason we've even reached the point where we can find fleeting moments of enjoyment is because the games are dirt cheap, or we can emulate them.

Perhaps you have a different definition of what "sucks" means, but according to my definition, we are not all in agreement that it sucks. Price has something to do with it not sucking, but it's not everything.

I already mentioned the lack of loading times and its library of well designed, playable games. I also implied that for arcade racing fans, it's a great pickup, because there are a lot of quality racers in the system.

What I did not enumerate, was that I also like the controller. I was fortunate to buy a couple of those funtastic ones brand new, when the N64 was being phased out, and never really started using them until recently, so they are practically brand new, and they feel great. I love the tight, springy analog stick. It's like the evolution of the Vectrex stick. I like its uniqueness, and when utilized well, really adds a different experience. For example, I first played Bangaioh on the Dreamcast and thought it was a good game, but playing it in the N64 feels like an entirely different thing. It's great. Same can be said for Waverace 64, which is just sublime with that analog stick.

I like that it has 4 controller ports without a need for a tap and I like that it has fun accessible games that can be played very easily by a lot of casual fans, so its great for more than 2 player multiplayer games with the right crowd. Makes multiplayer Bomberman sessions a breeze (although those games dont hold a candle to the Saturn version).

Finally, I actually have grown to like the look of N64 games. I don't like the fog and its blurriness, but some games have aged pretty damn well for 3D from that generation. Mario 64, FZero, Doom, Ogre Battle, Paper Mario(!) and the 2D stuff comes to mind right away, and other than 2D stuff (and Radiant Silvergun), looks subjectively better than most of what the PSX and Saturn were churning out during the same period.

If I had to choose 5 systems to keep in my collection, it would not make the cut, but I still love having it around, and has provided great gaming experiences, of which I'm sure there might be more to be had if/when I dig deeper into its library.

I don't agree with a lot of these kids proclaiming OOT as the best game of all time, as I don't even like that game. But it must have done something to a lot of people to make them feel that way, and Nintendo generally makes great games, so I'm sure it could be great to me as well, if I had played it at a different point in time.

Going full circle to my original statement, these guys and gals described in the previous paragraph are the ones that overrate the N64, almost without fail. Hey, I get it, as I (used to) overrate the SMS because Phantasy Star was a defining moment in my game playing life. The N64 had Mario and Zelda making a big mark on a lot of people growing up.

The rest can't seem to look past the system's technical shortcomings, its quirky controller, the memory of it sucking when they played it during its heyday (or now), etc., and realize that it has a lot of good games. It's not like NES games look good, or have the best controller ever, and they are still fun to play, and most people here can look past its deficiencies. The same applies to the N64, just with a much more limited library and different type of games.

in99flames

Re: I just &quot;region modded&quot; my N64, what games should I get?
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2017, 04:22:03 PM »
It was said earlier....but a good Japanese only N64 game worth getting is Sin and Punishment. Its basically totally playable. Only need translation for the main menu. The voice is all english.

Everyone is talking about modding the n64...dremmel out the tabs....all that...all I did was buy a cheap ass sports game(NHL 99)id never play for about 2 dollars and put the back half of the cart onto sin and punishment. No cutting or anything needed. Just pop in the cart.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2017, 05:55:29 PM »
the ground textures in every game look like theyre eternally not done loading.   lol

that was always offputting to me.  the models look decent enough but the environments look gooned out.

chameleon twist is a great example of this issue.

i never liked the n64 controller.   i tried to get used to it.  i get what they were trying, but, the stick sucked and the c buttons were goony. 

i did use an n64 controller with a cubestick retrofitted.
it was like a brand new console... 

and, OOT is dumb.   its bottom of the barrel for me.   that games flawed on so many levels, i think people rant about its greatness because it was all they had since quest 64 aint real.

seieienbu

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2017, 09:03:27 PM »
Perhaps I'm biased and I might only dislike it if not for the fact that everyone loves it and I have to take it to the next level for that reason but I hate OOT.  I think it's terrible.  I think it's ridiculous that anyone my age ever liked the game.  It was Nintendo ripping off their own game and making it worse. 

I played Zelda 1 and thought it was fine.  It was a bit obtuse when I was 6 but as I grew up I played it again and again and eventually beat it.  Zelda 2 I thought was fantastic.  There's a world to explore and there's combat that's fun.  The graphics and music was excellent and I can't point to many other NES titles where the enemies actually acknowledge your presence and actively try to beat you while also interacting with the environment.  Anyway, I had fun with both of those 8 bit games and was looking forward to the Super Nintendo version.

After months of waiting, Zelda 3 came out.  It's a masterpiece.  I love the game.  The combat is fun, the world is neat, the music and graphics were amazing, and the game's story was enough to keep me interested.  That was something new to the series.  Yeah, there's a blurb of text describing the scenario at the beginning of the first two games.  And yes, the manuals had cute stories with some cartoon-y drawings.  But in Zelda 3 things happen.  There's a country where things are going poorly due to the government becoming corrupted by Ganon.  There's a second world that you get a glimpse of where things don't quite make sense but then you come back and eventually realize that you have to go to this dark world to complete your quest.  There's 3 dungeons, a weapon upgrade, then 7 dungeons, then you fight Ganon and save Hyrule.

Link's Awakening was again fantastic.  It really shows off how good game design is more important than hardware when you have a game that played well enough to be a SNES game done so well but on a mini grey and green screen.  I enjoyed every minute of it but was still looking forward to the next Real Zelda game.

Then Zelda 64 came out and it is a god damn mess.  Between awful tutorials that take forever to get through, graphics that sucked then and are way worse now, and god awful play control I was frustrated immediately.  Almost every enemy in the game is fought in one of two ways: either hit Z then hit slingshot/bow once or you don't fight, you just wait, then when it reveals it's glowing point/soft underbelly you hit it a couple of times, and then you wait for a second iteration.  In dungeons you go to room after monotonous room where the doors shut and you have to kill everything to make a stupid shoot-able eye appear that opens a door to the next boring room.

The most grievous insult is how the game is, specifically, Zelda 3 again only worse.  Whereas Zelda 3 felt to me like Nintendo looked at what worked in Zelda 1 and decided to revise it for a more modern feel.  In Zelda 3 you collect 3 things, get a sword, turn the world crazy-times, collect 7 things, then fight Ganon.  That is exactly what you do in Zelda 64 only you do it Slower.  Everything is slower.  It takes like 20 seconds to open a chest rather than 1.  Do I really need to see another upskirt shot of Link for the 20th time I get some bombs?  Do I need to do endless amounts of tutorials?  When using the ocarina to teleport do I need to watch Link play it for 10 seconds?  Need to push a block up a space, walk around a block, pull it a space, go back around and push it two spaces?  Say goodbye to a whole minute rather than a quarter of that time.

All told, I felt like I'd spent $60 on a game that was the same yet somehow way worse than the game it was ripping off from years ago.  And yet this mess is the "Best game of all time!" 
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SignOfZeta

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2017, 02:02:16 AM »
I only spent a little time in OOT, maybe three hours max. Everything is brown and I spent pretty much the whole time lost. In other words I give it the same review I give Goldeneye: for someone else.

Black Tiger

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2017, 03:16:52 AM »
I was overly biased to love N64 Zeldas and very excited, up until the moment I tried the first one. It did so many things wrong and laid the groundwork for too many future 3D games to be ruined with auto jumping and fighting, instead of actual 3D gameplay.

I really enjoyed Soul Reaver and Shadowman though and not only do they feature realtime jumping and attacking, they also have cool style, setting and plots. I also don't like the OoT-onward very un-Zelda story and characters.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

lukester

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2017, 04:17:40 AM »
As someone who played Ocarina as a middle school teen in the 2010s, I definitely had a lot of fun with it. The biggest strength was definitely the quantity and quality of the dungeons. Overworld was a bit weak, not much to do in a big field besides run into the occasional poe or skeleton .

I believe majora’s mask is one of the best games of all time though. The overworld was fleshed out, the side quests were exponentially improved, and there was a lot to do in between the dungeons. The transformations were also fun to dick around with

Hate me all you want, but I’m not a big link to the past fan. Dark world was a nice novelty though. Give me Dawn of ys or dungeon explorer 2 instead.