Author Topic: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?  (Read 3379 times)

crazydean

Re: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2017, 10:26:40 AM »
You guys are wrong. N64 is great. You are dumb if you disagree with me.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Bloufo

« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »
Dark grey consoles are able to output S-Video natively in both PAL and NTSC territories - no mods needed, just a cable (the cables are built differently in each regions).

All N64's are capable of s-video.
The only difference being is that for PAL consoles you need a specially wired cable otherwise it will produce a crappy, overly bright image.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2017, 02:52:13 PM »
Hybrid Heaven is just weird in general.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

nopepper

« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »
Tonic Trouble is the poor man's Rayman 2, supposedly. That is one genre I have never been able to get into, the 3D platformer. Other than the Marios and Ratchet and Clank (to a lesser extent), I always leave halfway after realizing I'm having to fetch the same shit for the thousandths time and fiddling with the camera.

Hybrid Heaven is just weird in general.

This is considered a "hidden gem" in the N64 library and  I've always thought it looked interesting, but as it often is with these experimental type of games, the execution seems clunky. Kinda like Buck Rodgers in the Genesis.

I've learned about a lot of N64 games for this guy and he gives it glowing marks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH1UZaa0pZ4

I think I'll pass, even with the 5-6 bucks I've seen it go for, as if I'm going to sink 14 hours into a game, it better be good, and I'm not sure this one is. It also looks so barren and unappealing, even by N64 standards.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2017, 05:13:51 AM »
I grabbed a copy for 3$ and sometimes honestly wish I'd spent that 3$ on ice cream or a few candy bars.

It's not a bad game, it's just nothing to write home about.    Playstation provided better similar-ish experiences.

and Metal Gear Solid.

3D platformers on the Playstation were great.   They were far better than the N64 games, because they played more like 2D games in that you were running through levels and not playing "grab all the shit" or "why is the camera being a cunt".

Spyro was one of the greatest 3D platforming experiences of growing up, I think.   

That game was just really well executed.

and Crash Bandicoot's halfbaked 3D was a great idea.  Instead of fighting with a camera and screaming alot, you just played basically a 2D platformer with a camera that scriptedly moved.

Pitfall 3D was a pretty underrated 3D platformer, too.   I had alot of fun with that one. 

https://youtu.be/jIV1YMIgHy0?t=2015

lol this sums up Hybrid Heaven.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:26:32 AM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2017, 07:09:56 AM »
Bloufo, have you tried the trans color and Pikachu N64 consoles yet? AFAIK these at least lack S-Video lines on the Multi AV out, maybe even the graphics chip or video encoder is lacking these? Please let me know if I'm wrong about that.
Regarding using S-Video cables built for NTSC N64 consoles on a PAL console, what you describe is what I experienced with a cable that I bought years ago. That's what I was talking about in my previous post.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Bloufo

« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »
Bloufo, have you tried the trans color and Pikachu N64 consoles yet? AFAIK these at least lack S-Video lines on the Multi AV out, maybe even the graphics chip or video encoder is lacking these? Please let me know if I'm wrong about that.

I have one of those Pikachu N64 systems. The blue and yellow edition.
S-Video works fine on it. No issues at all.

Regarding using S-Video cables built for NTSC N64 consoles on a PAL console, what you describe is what I experienced with a cable that I bought years ago. That's what I was talking about in my previous post.

From my own stuff I have a PAL Green N64. S-Video works fine on it if you use the cables that are correctly wired for PAL N64 consoles.

A couple pics of a few years ago from an LCD TV when using that console.

Top is that saturated image when trying to use standard N64 s-video cables.
Bottom pic is when using the correctly wired cables.

Ignore the stretched image. I obviously had forgotten to set it to 4:3

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2017, 07:43:48 AM »
Thank you so much! Myth busted, I guess. :clap:

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no