Author Topic: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?  (Read 3409 times)

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
Re: I just "region modded" my N64, what games should I get?
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2017, 04:44:56 AM »
i did use an n64 controller with a cubestick retrofitted.
it was like a brand new console...
It is, but unfortunately the supplied PCBs and potentiometers of those Ebay N64 Cubesticks are lacking in range, steps and sensitivity, giving you trouble in many games.
I rebuild my N64 controllers using those Cubesticks and micro's PCB + potentiometers:
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.0

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

seieienbu

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2017, 05:11:15 AM »
As someone who played Ocarina as a middle school teen in the 2010s, I definitely had a lot of fun with it. The biggest strength was definitely the quantity and quality of the dungeons. Overworld was a bit weak, not much to do in a big field besides run into the occasional poe or skeleton .

I believe majora’s mask is one of the best games of all time though. The overworld was fleshed out, the side quests were exponentially improved, and there was a lot to do in between the dungeons. The transformations were also fun to dick around with

I don't like any 3D Zelda very much until Breath of the Wild.  My complaint with the other 3D Zeldas is that they're all Zelda 3 only worse.  They never get better than Zelda 3 and they're always way less fun to play so why would I play them?  Majora's Mask though?  That game is almost fantastic.  I think if it hadn't been on the N64 I'd really like it.  It plays like shit due to the controller and looks like shit due to the console but there are a lot of really neat ideas there.  If it had been a Gamecube launch title rather than on the N64 I think it would be one of my favorites in the series. 

Hate me all you want, but I’m not a big link to the past fan. Dark world was a nice novelty though. Give me Dawn of ys or dungeon explorer 2 instead.

I'm curious:  did you play Zelda 64 before or after Link to the Past?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

lukester

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2017, 05:54:45 AM »
I'm curious:  did you play Zelda 64 before or after Link to the Past?

I played link to the past first but I didn't finish it at the time. I think furthest I got was the swamp dungeon.

I didn't beat it until a couple years ago. I do like the game but not in the same way as Ocarina. The dungeons in Ocarina were much more interesting, and I really like the art style.

I think Majora works well on the N64. The low poly models definitely help add to the creepy vibe. The world is also massive!

I like Wind Waker but not as much as the other two. The exploration is nice but the dungeons are not as well designed, and having to do shit such as changing the wind direction and feeding the fish get tedious very quickly. Breath of the wild is kinda similar...amazing exploration poor dungeons, but also other dumb stuff such as a lack of enemy variety and super low weapon durability.

I have not played Twilight Princess nor Skyward Sword.

nopepper

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2017, 06:05:05 AM »
I only spent a little time in OOT, maybe three hours max. Everything is brown and I spent pretty much the whole time lost. In other words I give it the same review I give Goldeneye: for someone else.

That has been pretty much my experience playing that game, and I've tried 4-5 times to get into it, but just can't. I even tried the 3DS version to see if it was an improvement, but just couldn't get into it. In fact, until Breath of the Wild, which I thought was great, I've never been able to get into any of the 3D Zeldas. Granted, I've only tried OOT, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, but they all had the same type of gameplay that I found more of a chore than anything else.

Everyone is talking about modding the n64...dremmel out the tabs....all that...all I did was buy a cheap ass sports game(NHL 99)id never play for about 2 dollars and put the back half of the cart onto sin and punishment. No cutting or anything needed. Just pop in the cart.

I did the exact same thing for the 2 lone imports I own, as I had a shitty All star baseball game that I got for free with the system and a dead Ridge Race cart. I guess if for some reason, such as bypassing rising US version prices, you want to play more than that, then it makes sense to mod the system itself.

seieienbu

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2017, 08:07:45 AM »
I like Breath of the Wild because it felt like a new game that was a modern re-imagining of Zelda.  It didn't feel like I was playing "How do I make Zelda 3 This time!?"  I liked that rather than having 11 dungeons to go through they spattered puzzles throughout the world.  Most were pretty quick and then done.  I didn't like several aspects like durability and never being able to climb during rain (I feel there should have been a rain-gear set that would let you climb as normal with all 3 pieces or something).  I thought the soundtrack was awful. 

But with those things said?  I found the game enjoyable and quite refreshing for a Zelda.  Majora's Mask is the one Zelda I can really compare it to.  From Zelda 1 to 2 the game changed a lot but they weren't sure exactly where they were going to take the franchise from there.  From 2 to 3 was a return to form albeit far more polished.  But after that the series mostly stagnates.  In fairness, I never played Skyward Sword so I'm not really taking it into consideration. 

Majora's Mask though?  It wasn't a simple "Zelda 3, but this time..." game.  Thinking about it, it gives me the same sort of feeling as Breath of the Wild does; a new take on Zelda with the (then) modern game system in mind. Majora's Mask had a new and creepy world.  It had varied enemies and playstyles.  Though still wrapped in the confines of N64 Zelda, the different masks made the gameplay far more varied than any Zelda since.  The gameplay didn't feel as self similar as most of the games in the series.  My only complaints (listed above) with it are all N64 related and I think the game is good.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:11:28 AM by seieienbu »
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2017, 03:41:20 AM »
What seieienbu said about OOT is exactly why I hate it.

Everything is "lock on and strafe"

it's so boring.   Tons of lock on and do shit gimmicks.

I preferred Alundra 2 and Brave Fencer Musashi.

Especially BFM, because that's what a 3D zelda should have been.

Hell, even Mega Man legends was a better setup.

OOT just paved the way for a bunch of garbagey zelda games.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

wildfruit

Re: I just &quot;region modded&quot; my N64, what games should I get?
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2017, 06:42:28 AM »
N64 was my most disappointing purchase ever. I ended up giving it to a friend. GIVING. I could not stand the blurry mud. Real annoying that it only came with RF cable. Not that it mattered as it couldn’t do RGB scary anyway, which in PAL land was the only benefit we had. I would maybe play 4 games again
Mario 64, OOT, mischief makers & rogue squadron. Plus the game carts were too expensive. Extra £10/20 premium for crappy game versus a PSX crappy game. After never having a snesss was so excited.  Goldeneye with friends was ok but I don’t think it would hold my interest. A solar Jetman remake would have been nice though ;)

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2017, 07:01:02 AM »
The N64 was supplied with a composite A/V cable. An RF modulator had to be purchased separately. Dark grey consoles are able to output S-Video natively in both PAL and NTSC territories - no mods needed, just a cable (the cabls are built differently in each regions).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:03:52 AM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

wildfruit

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2017, 07:03:16 AM »
The N64 was supplied with a composite A/V cable. An RF modulator had to be purchased seperately. Dark grey consoles are able to output S-Video natively in both PAL and NTSC territories.
In uk it came with RF in the box

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2017, 07:04:43 AM »
Whut lol. Thanks, didn't know about that. Did it at least had both RF and Composite included?

I said no, no, no

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2017, 07:06:28 AM »
I legit started playing N64 again just a bit ago to see if it's really that bad.

I tried RGB through XRGB3 to my BigDickTV, and also composite through my regular CRT.

Still sucks.   Hybrid Heaven was so goony.

I did get some nostalgia feelies from it though, mostly stemming from remembering playing it at friends houses as a kid.

Donkey Kong 64 is awful.   

I swear there was some other moronic looking platformer that wasn't glover that was good but I can't think of it.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2017, 07:10:46 AM »
Here we go:

My friend had this.

It was weird as hell but kind of OK.

I'd still take Spyro or Gex.

wildfruit

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2017, 07:19:05 AM »
Whut lol. Thanks, didn't know about that. Did it at least had both RF and Composite included?
I’m afraid not. Plus I didn’t at the time have anything that could do S- video. It’s not very common here. I have a toshiba now that claims to do s-video via scart adaptor but I tried a couple with no success so I just stick to rgb scarts.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2017, 07:27:23 AM »
If your TV has just one Scart input, you have to switch between RGB and S-Video manually.
If your TV has more than one Scart input, one of them usually will support RGB, while the other one will support S-Video.

This is due to the lines for S-Video and RGB being shared within the Scart standard. RGB can be autodetected if the source device sends a correct signal voltage on pin 16, but S-Video can't.

I said no, no, no

nopepper

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2017, 07:44:30 AM »
I legit started playing N64 again just a bit ago to see if it's really that bad.

I tried RGB through XRGB3 to my BigDickTV, and also composite through my regular CRT.

Still sucks.   Hybrid Heaven was so goony.

I did get some nostalgia feelies from it though, mostly stemming from remembering playing it at friends houses as a kid.

Donkey Kong 64 is awful.   

I swear there was some other moronic looking platformer that wasn't glover that was good but I can't think of it.

Well, I have to agree that DK64 looks and plays like utter shit. In fact, although I have not played Conker, all Rare games I've tried are some of the worst offenders of blurry, low frame rate and muddy games. Even good ones like Blast Corps.  Have not played Hybrid Heaven, so can't comment on that one.

I use SVid through a PVM and turn aperture all the way to the left, which makes the graphics very sharp and vibrant. Some games even look great. ;)